Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 10, 2015
I've always loved the art-style and humor from the first game since I first played it on PS2 and in that respect the sequels are certainly more of the same. I never played Jak II or Jak 3 back when they released.

Anyway, replaying Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy was a nostalgic trip down memory lane. I personally thought Daxter was at his funniest here because he didn't seem as obnoxious compared to the sequels, and so when he did speak his humor stood out more. The environments are lush and varied; beaches, lava pits, dark spider-infested caves, snowy mountain-tops, an underwater "lost city", and so on. It isn't really too story-heavy but what story there is, is semi-entertaining and interesting enough to follow. The first game is mostly a straight-forward 3D platformer collect-a-thon with your occasional boss fights, vehicle segments and cutscenes. But it's a vibrant, colorful and quite enjoyable one. Most fans of this series I've heard from seem to regard this one the highest.

Jak II I just recently beat (and platinum'd) so it'll probably be the freshest in my mind and easiest to review now. The game actually has a decent story that has a few twists and eccentric characters. The platforming is also still great when there are platforming segments. It seems to have adopted several elements from the then popular GTA games like GTA III or Vice City. You travel to icons around the city of Haven to start missions. They introduced weapons in the form of guns, which overall makes the sequels actually feel more like shooters a la Ratchet and Clank than platformers, and you now have a "Dark Jak" form which you can activate once your dark eco meter is filled. This form allows you to hit harder and do a few special moves that you can purchase via "skull gems" dropped by most metal head enemies. Sadly, most of the game's strong points end there for me.

The city hub in Jak II feels far too padded out and is more frustrating to navigate than being fun. The checkpoints for missions are also very unforgiving, often times requiring a complete do-over if you manage to die. This can be overcome with some trial and error but it can just grate the nerves if you've almost completed a mission, and you just manage to slip up at the end and fall off into an abyss or lose your last sliver of health. Racing was also a pain, as were some of the combat-focused missions such as one requiring you to get to a certain location while endless swarms of cops and turrets descend upon you. Or killing three huge robot vehicles headed towards your base before they get there. There are combat/weapon tricks involved for most of these though, and I'd recommend looking up video guides if/when you get stuck. Some other missions weren't really that hard however, in contrast to what a lot of people led me to believe. The "protect the NPC" or escort missions were actually pretty easy for me. As was the on-rails turret mission which I managed I think on my third try. It just required some patience and very quick disposal of enemies as soon as they appeared. I ended up using an "Orb glitch" to achieve the full 286 required for the Platinum trophy, which otherwise would be near impossible for me seeing as you would have to get "gold" in the shooting ranges among other mini-game type stuff. Overall a solid game but due to most of it being frustrating I personally couldn't rate it any higher than about a 6/10. The first game was just more enjoyable for me and stayed true to traditional platforming.

I've only just started Jak 3 and so far, as many people will tell you, it's mostly easier than Jak II simply because of the more lenient checkpoint placement. Gameplay mechanics and mission structure are still very similar to Jak II, however. This one, so far, seems to have quite an emphasis on vehicular gameplay; races galore, driving through the big desert to rescue NPC's before the time limits run out, and so on. There's still platforming sprinkled in here and there but it just seems to be a more "driving-focused" game. I hear it gets better and eventually blends in more platforming as well as combat missions but having to drive around or ride those large birds everywhere can kind of feel repetitive. The story is otherwise solid enough and characters well-done. But I'm more eager to see what the game has to offer besides driving, and the occasional boss fight missions.

I will say, and I almost forgot, I actually enjoy the few sections where you get to play as Daxter. Aside from running from the spider in Jak II which was highly frustrating initially, the other parts where you get to play as him in Jak 3 are, thus far, varied and spicen up the monotony of all the driving and shooting you do as Jak.

Anyway, like I said at the beginning of this "review", I love the art-style and platforming (when it's present) of this series so much that I have to rate it five out of five stars here on Amazon. For all its shortcomings, it's certainly a unique series. I also have the Ratchet and Sly collections for PS3, but they haven't really grabbed me yet based on trying out the first games in each series. Jak & Daxter was just likable to me from the get-go so I tend to prefer them out of the three series. Maybe that'll change once I give them another shot after finishing up Jak 3.
on November 11, 2015
I wont even describe the games because hopefully you know these games are a must-have for any 90's youth. Or any genuinely good person.

Graphics: I personally don't notice much difference between the original, it does require some fiddling on your TV settings to get the fullscreen effect. I got the best results on the 16:9 (widescreen) setting.

And lastly i will say on Jak 2 you can use the exploit on the "find the gold orb" mission to get all precursor orbs. Google it. Because frankly some side missions are impossible.
on December 4, 2017
It was cheaper to get the three than just the one which is what I really wanted, but the second game is okay, and I have honestly never even tried the third.
on March 30, 2016
For long time Jak and Daxter fans, this HD collection is a MUST HAVE. It was so nice to be able to revisit all the past Jak and Daxter games in a remastered state, with the same crisp audio. Nostalgia definitely kicked into overdrive as I was playing this collection, and I would highly recommend it to every PlayStation 3 owner to be honest. A word of caution though, DO NOT buy the Jak and Daxter collection for the PlayStation Vita since that particular version has terrible frame rate issues.
on January 3, 2016
I finally got around to purchasing the HD Collection of this series, and so far I'm glad I made the investment. I've only played through the first installment in this collection, and it's everything I remember from my PS2 edition. I had some problems with a lagging camera and Jak moving in the wrong direction when I threw a punch on a few occasions, but I don't think it was enough to cause a kerfuffle over.

I'm slowly playing through Jak II, so I'll come back to respond to my experience with it later.
on December 23, 2014
An excellent series. Although this PS3 port has a few glitches and problems (particularly evident in Jak 2) It is still very much a fun game. As others have mentioned, Jak 2 is frustratingly difficult due to the lack of checkpoints and health packs, but for what it is it is still very much a good deal. In terms of graphics, I would not call them "remastered" as all the textures and graphics are the same, just this time being rendered by the PS3 in 720p 60fps. Although it would have been nice to see a few things updated to more modern standards, I certainly can't complain given the $13 it costs!
on March 9, 2012
I grew up with these games, these were my childhood games so that may affect my review but here it is:

They were great games and I loved them. With this HD release I could not only complete the games again, I could complete all the challenges(achievements) which was fun to do. The graphics are amazing(Compared to the old ones.) Jake and Daxter was great to see, although it didn't seem as amazingly stunning graphically as jak 2 and 3, this was still a fun game that had many secrets and a great storyline with many twist, weird people, and funny jokes. Jak 2 is very different from jak and daxter but in a good way. The platform is back but with guns and flying cars. Its a longer game with many many more things to do and a lot more features. The story once aging is amazing with more twist, really messed up people that you'll remember for a long time, and funny jokes. Jak 3 a great game but to me was not as great as Jak 2. It had more guns, more cars, more missions, more jokes, however I didn't like all of the people in the story and the story had major twist which were great, the characters just kinda brought it down for me. Voice acting for all games are amazing. Since this does have three games with it, it'll take a long time to complete them all. If your good at platform games and try to skip as much as you can then the games will only take like 10 though or less. I completed Jak 1 100% so far and that took me 4 hrs 15 mins(I died a few times and missed a few orbs.)

Anyway Summary - Game:Great Story, Great Jokes, Great Characters, Great Game play, Great Way to create childhood/adulthood memories or just a fun game to play when you feel like a platform adventure.
on April 8, 2015
I love the Jak and Daxter franchise, Ratchet and Clank doesn't bring as much nostalgia to me, but I suppose I'm one of those people. Jak and Daxter, The Precursor Legacy was one of the first and best games I played on the PS2 when I was younger and it has a special spot in my heart like it must for many others, so getting all first 3 games remastered on PS3 was AWESOME. I think I want to stop playing them for a while though because the effect is not as strong. In my list of favorite games, this is a homerun and its style can't be replaced even if it isn't the BEST game. You can really feel the innocence of Jak throughout the first game, and then the second game creates an entirely different atmosphere for the rest of the franchise. The only thing that is bad about remastered collections like this is that they don't bring the branch games to the next generation, like Jak X street racing. Anyway, this is a very good buy. Happy shopping!
on June 9, 2013
Finally they make the legendary games of all time from the ps2 and remaster it for ps3. I always love Jax and Daxter and there trilogy, ive played all there game so many time when i was a little kid. This game truly does look phenomenal on a HDTV with HDMI. I did get bored though since i already had played these game too many times but i got it just becuase i was so excited to see that they had the trilogy for PS3. I recommend this game to any Jax and Daxter fans or kids that are already playing those violent shooting games so that they cant get there mind of those shooting games and play some old time shooting games.
on November 10, 2013
I loved being able to watch the evolution of the game! I played these back on the ps2, and I appreciate them being put into the ps3 system.

Things to note:
-These are the original games, old graphics and all.
-The games get steadily darker, so while the first game might be appropriate for little 7-year-old Rickey Bobby, the third game might not. If you're a parent buying this for a kid, be aware. That said, I still believe that this game is a good match for younger children. It is pretty tame, low cussing (none at all in the first game), and minimal violence.
-The price is most DEFINITELY worth it! This is quite literally 3 games for the price of 1!
-Adults, these are not 'hard' games. Again, a good level for ten year olds.

If this was a good game for you, you might also consider looking into the Sly Cooper trilogy, or the Rachet & Clank series, both of which are very similar in attitude and appearance.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.