Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jak & Daxter Collection - Playstation 3
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Video Game|Change

on February 7, 2012
If you're looking for a review of the games themselves, I suggest looking up the original reviews for the games here; Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Jak II Jak 3. I will simply be reviewing the new features for the trilogy package as a whole.

1. HD: The visuals in this game have definitely had a huge overhaul. The frame rate is a smooth 60fps, with hardly any hiccups or slowdowns. The character models look much more detailed and fine tuned. Environments look beautiful as well, and seeing many iconic locations remastered with detailed HD graphics can only be described as nostalgic. I hope they keep up the good work they've done with updating these PS2 classics when they make the Ratchet & Clank Collection.

2. 3D: For many, this won't matter since the number of 3D TVs in households is still a slim number, but for those who do (myself included) it's a feature well worth mentioning. They did a great job making the visuals really "pop". The multiple layers are well placed for dynamic depth perception. It' really been a joy to play the trilogy in 3D so far. You can adjust the depth to your liking, but I found the default setting to be just about right.

3. Trophies: If you're looking for a few challenges while replaying the trilogy, Naughty Dog's got you covered. The trophies range from challenging to pushover, but it's still been fun collecting them, as they have you doing things you might have otherwise never tried. The platinum trophy should give gamers a pretty big challenge to obtain, but with games like these, you'll enjoy every moment of the effort.

Naughty Dog's Jak Trilogy has long been a staple of the platforming world and replaying these games is a stark reminder why. It's a steal for $40, but for any less it's a must own! They just don't make games like these anymore, and they probably never will again, so it's definitely worth picking up a copy and reliving the joys of playing the original trilogy.
2020 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
I may be biased because Jak & Daxter is my favorite platformer and I think it paved the way for other great series' such as Ratchet & Clank. I've long waited for Jak 4 on the PS3 -- but Naughty Dog just revealed that "Last of Us" was made instead of a Jak 4 because the team ran into trouble while attempting to design it. But as they always say "never say never".

As for this collection, it's the next best thing. The HD visuals are definitely an upgrade to the originals on PS2 (particularly 2 & 3). Frame rate is smooth and the environments look great. I do not own a 3D television so I can't comment on that, although I have read that it is well done.

If you're a fan of the series, you'll be very pleased. If you've never played Jak & Daxter before, this is a perfect opportunity to enjoy the best platformer created IMO for $39. In addition, there are trophies to collect! Enjoy!
on February 16, 2012
The Jak trilogy was games made by Naughty Dog during the early to mid part of the last decade. However this collection was not made by Naughty Dog but it was ported by a different company. Anyway if you have never played Jak then I would recomend to pick it up right now, cause these games are defiantly in my top 10 ever made. The genre that these were in is just about dead on this generation of consoles (except for super mario galaxy and very few others) thanks to all the first person shooters so this was a nice break to relieve my childhood and remember where everything was for the trophy s. Which speaking of trophys there is trophys for each of the 3 games and while the 1st is a mostly an easy platinum (except for finding every single orb in the game)the 2nd and 3rd games are very challenging to get all the trophy's for. The Graphics have been extremely improved expecilly the 2nd and 3rd games. The 1st has been improved a lot to but not quite as impressive but keep in mind that was one of the 1st good ps2 games. Anyway I'll have a short review for each of the games but if you have never played Jak and Daxter stop reading and buy it now.

Jak and Daxter-9/10 My first ps2 game also one of my favorite games of all time unlike the other Jak games this one is more like Super Mario 64 but better

Jak 2-10/10 Same as the first one this is one of my favorite games ever made and I know a lot of people like the 3rd better I actually preferred this one but this game is pretty much more platforming game and gran theft auto combined to make one epic game

Jak 3-8.5/10 this is a good end to the trilogy but I have only played this one a few times before and its they only jak game in this collection I haven't beat on ps2 which will change with this collection
on March 30, 2016
For long time Jak and Daxter fans, this HD collection is a MUST HAVE. It was so nice to be able to revisit all the past Jak and Daxter games in a remastered state, with the same crisp audio. Nostalgia definitely kicked into overdrive as I was playing this collection, and I would highly recommend it to every PlayStation 3 owner to be honest. A word of caution though, DO NOT buy the Jak and Daxter collection for the PlayStation Vita since that particular version has terrible frame rate issues.
on January 3, 2016
I finally got around to purchasing the HD Collection of this series, and so far I'm glad I made the investment. I've only played through the first installment in this collection, and it's everything I remember from my PS2 edition. I had some problems with a lagging camera and Jak moving in the wrong direction when I threw a punch on a few occasions, but I don't think it was enough to cause a kerfuffle over.

I'm slowly playing through Jak II, so I'll come back to respond to my experience with it later.
on June 9, 2013
Finally they make the legendary games of all time from the ps2 and remaster it for ps3. I always love Jax and Daxter and there trilogy, ive played all there game so many time when i was a little kid. This game truly does look phenomenal on a HDTV with HDMI. I did get bored though since i already had played these game too many times but i got it just becuase i was so excited to see that they had the trilogy for PS3. I recommend this game to any Jax and Daxter fans or kids that are already playing those violent shooting games so that they cant get there mind of those shooting games and play some old time shooting games.
on July 31, 2016
I got this game because after I played the first one, I thought it was cool and fun, and wanted to play the other ones. But when I did, I saw they turned to a darker path like the Harry Potter series and the games began to be more harder to beat then the last one. So in the end, I gave up. But I still enjoyed the game, even if the sequels were dark.
on November 11, 2015
I wont even describe the games because hopefully you know these games are a must-have for any 90's youth. Or any genuinely good person.

Graphics: I personally don't notice much difference between the original, it does require some fiddling on your TV settings to get the fullscreen effect. I got the best results on the 16:9 (widescreen) setting.

And lastly i will say on Jak 2 you can use the exploit on the "find the gold orb" mission to get all precursor orbs. Google it. Because frankly some side missions are impossible.
on July 16, 2015
Three classic Jak & Daxter all on one disk. I had a little problem selecting which of the three games I wanted to play. I was trying to use the joy stick to move between selections. I came on and asked how to do it and one of the readers answered very fast. I'm very satisfied.
on December 23, 2014
An excellent series. Although this PS3 port has a few glitches and problems (particularly evident in Jak 2) It is still very much a fun game. As others have mentioned, Jak 2 is frustratingly difficult due to the lack of checkpoints and health packs, but for what it is it is still very much a good deal. In terms of graphics, I would not call them "remastered" as all the textures and graphics are the same, just this time being rendered by the PS3 in 720p 60fps. Although it would have been nice to see a few things updated to more modern standards, I certainly can't complain given the $13 it costs!