Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
James Bond: The Secret World of 007 Hardcover – October 1, 2000
Best Books of the Year So Far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
There are three main sections:
1. The Bond Dossier - here you will find background information on Bond (the weapons, clothes, women), MI6 and the villains. (As this book is targeted at today's 'kids', it uses images of the actors from the latest film, The World Is Not Enough - Brosnan, Dench, etc. - as the 'real' James Bond and MI6 team.)
2. The Missions - this section dedicates 4 - 6 pages for each of Bond's 'missions' (i.e. the 19 Bond films), describing what the 'mission' is about and who the allies and villains are. There are detailed cross-section illustrations of the villains' headquarters, e.g. Blofeld's volcano, Stromberg's Atlantis and Elliot Carver's Stealth Ship, and also wonderful photos/illustrations of the Bond vehicles and gadgets, e.g. the DB5, Lotus, Little Nellie, etc. These pictures miraculously show how everything falls into place and how everything works (a miracle considering most of these things don't really function or even exist in real life!)
3. The Movies - the book ends with background information on 'movies' that have been made about James Bond, featuring the 5 actors who have portrayed him. The introduction to this section diplomatically concludes: "The real 007 has never disclosed which one (actor) he feels has captured him the best"! (It is only in this last section that we see pictures of Connery, Lazenby, Moore and Dalton.)
This is definitely one of the best books on James Bond. It is well researched and has breath-taking pictures, as per DK's usual high standards. It beautifully and convincingly transforms the fiction of Bond into reality.Read more ›
This is the book you have been waiting for! It starts with the Bond films and adds to your pleasure of watching and recalling them in a remarkably effective way.
This book takes an in-depth look at the action, the gadgets, the props, and the lairs of the Bond films . . . spiced up with many of your favorite stills from those movies. You will see illustrations to cut away the surface of the devices, cars, attache cases, and belts to show you how Bond used them in the films. As you know, each film ends with a major attack on the bad guy's lair. These are lovingly drawn and detailed so you can see how the whole sequence took place. You will even get such basics as how to use judo illustrated!
The book begins with a perfunctory foreword by the current M. The next sections feature stills and drawn illustrations from the movies built around the themes of Bond's secret weapons, clothing, the women he loved, other MI6 personnel, Q, spies who worked for other governments, and Blofeld.
Next, you go into several pages on each move in order. These include outlines of the characters in the movies, the lairs of the villains, any special equipment used (every single wonderful car is there!), and the details of the ending attack scenes. In some cases, the opening and intermediate attack scenes are blocked out also. The movies covered include Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, The Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View to a Kill, The Living Daylights, Golden Eye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and The World Is Not Enough.Read more ›
When this showed up today, I was so dazzled by the beautiful photography, brilliant cutaway illustrations and classic DK "callout" design that it took me a few minutes to figure out what was really going on here.
What's going on is simply this: this Bond book is the first of its kind. It exists purely within the fantasy universe created by the films. That is to say, that although it is crammed with pictures of actors, actresses, sets, models and props, none is described as such. Instead, each film is really a "case," actors are villains, actresses Bond's women, props are real weapons, sets are lairs. Picture a (DK) "Eyewitness Travel Guide" to Bond's (real) world and you get the idea. The hundreds of new and newly imagined technical illustrations are such a treat: you picture the film people talking to the book people, and all of them pondering, how WOULD this missile-launching ghetto blaster work?
Although there are many pictures of Sean Connery (and the four other Bonds), his name does not appear ANYWHERE until a brief "movie index" ten pages from the end. This to me is a good thing. Those of us who watch the Bonds do so to live briefly in his slightly surreal universe. "Secret World" lets you do so in more depth and with greater understanding than ever before.
Of particular value are these two brilliant features:
1) Travel/fight scene breakdowns. To me, those dustups on speeding trains and flying blimps all happen in a blur. Who's he punching? What does that buy him? Here, in numbered steps, you can follow the hurtling vehicle's progress and how James stands at each turn.
2) Evil lair cutaways.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought as a replacement for a copy in our school library that is pretty worn out...the kids love this book.Published 4 months ago by Kibbles
I grew up with this book & to this day I haven't seen a more illustrated, neat, colorful, & accurate representation of 007 & his missions.Published 5 months ago by Joseph Green
This is a really great book with wonderful illustrations, photos and more important an exhaustive amount of details surrounding the world of James Bond. Read morePublished 20 months ago by SRFireside
Fun to find this book. My son read his original when he was a child. So much so, it was falling apart. Glad to find a newer condition for his library.Published on June 26, 2014 by Suzanne Lindemann
Another Bond coffee table book......lots of great pictures, but I would suggesting purchasing the James Bond: The Legacy book first......this one second....... Read morePublished on January 19, 2014 by L. S. Brooks