Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 13, 2016
satisfied
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 19, 2004
While this seems to be a good product (admittedly, I don't possess it), I would think twice about buying it. "The James Joyce Audio Collection" (which I do possess) - another collection of readings at $20.97 (on Amazon as of 3/19/04; ISBN: 0060501790) - offers everything this product has and more for only an additional ten dollars. I suppose if you're only interested in the Joyce readings (only two on either collection, unfortunately), this may be the right product: they are undoubtedly the highlight of either collection, and are well worth even twenty dollars alone. Still, why throw away the opportunity to hear a fantastic reading of Molly's soliloqy, or listen to Fr. Arnall's hellfire sermon pounded out? Do yourself a favor and spring for the 4-disk "Joyce Audio Collection."
VINE VOICEon November 1, 2005
James Joyce reads an excerpt from Ulysses and Finnegans Wake. This unique recording is below present day standards, but for certain parts of the recording that is audible, it is a delight to hear Joyce's Irish intonations. His rolling r's and tenor voice is a treat. From what I am aware of, it is unfortunate that there are no other documented audio or visual sources that capture this legendary figure in action in spite of the fact that moving pictures and sound audio came in vogue during the period in which he lived. Nonetheless, in addition to Joyce's eloquent readings, Cyril Cusack's reads from Joyce's poetry, "Chamber Music," "Pomes Penyeach," and "Ecce Puer" where he offers an atmospheric feel to Joyce's creativity that fulfills this exceptional recording.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 12, 1999
I heard selections from this on the radio on Bloom'sday (what 12 years ago?) and it was, essentially, my first experience with Joyce. I became an instant fan. Incidentally, this may have been the basis for my theory that the only proper way to read the book is _out loud_; suddenly it becomes much clearer and more intelligible (and, I might add, funnier!)
on January 25, 2000
James Joyce reads from his work. Who could ask for anything more? (I could. Why didn't he read every word he ever wrote?) N.B.: in the "Anna Livia" episode, he lays on the Irish accent with a trowel. I can see the Grammies: "and the winner is...James Joyce for 'Anna Livia Plurabelle'! " Pour a glass of bluemilk, loosen your talktapes, and enjoyce.
on January 15, 2000
If you think you are a fan of James Joyce - and you dont know about this audio - you must buy this immediately. I think this is the only recording of JAMES JOYCE READING JAMES JOYCE available (I havent be able to find anything else). An excellent recording - and considering when it was recorded - excellent quality.