Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 15, 2015
So I have been using a messenger bag for the last year, but decided to switch back to a traditional backpack because my back has been killing me. As a grad school student I needed a bag with multiple compartments, and enough room for several heavy binders and books. I had this backpack when I was in highschool (go '04!), and I used to love it so I decided to give it a second go. I still have the old one but it's covered in Sharpie designs.
Although I just got this bag in the mail today I can say a few things. Will update the post in a few months.

1. It has plenty of room! More than I remembered. I can easily fit my laptop sleeve, 2 binders, multiple notebooks, and other misc objects.
2. The zipper is currently annoying- it gets stuck on the inner lining, but I suspect this is because the bag is brand new. Over time I imagine everything will loosen up.
3. It is very lightweight- so you are not adding extra weight on top of all the junk you have to carry.
4. I am slightly disappointed that the material has changed from the older model. It feels a bit thinner, and the bottom of the bag isn't double lined to insure extra support for carrying heavy things, BUT the bag looks to be made well, and with the company promise I'll just request another if this one breaks.
5. The straps will need to be broken in for sure. They do have an internal padding for comfort, but it all feels stiff at the moment.
6. I chose the gray- which is pretty similar to the online description image so I'm pleased. Dark enough to hide dirt, but not another black bag added to the collection.
7. A main reason I liked this backpack back then was the pencil case that still is present in this one. It's right up front (top zipper) so I never felt like I was digging for something to write with.

SO.. yes I do feel a bit dorky as this bag is clearly designed for a highschool student (not really stylish by any means), but I can already carry twice as much as my Patagonia messenger so I'm happy.

JANSPORT! Could you possibly offer your bags without the large logo smack in the middle? I think the label defers interest.
review imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 15, 2017
My wife has used this everyday for the past six years. It goes to work, on trips, on the subway. It hauls her crap
plus kids crap - snacks, diapers, toys, rocks, bottle caps, melted crayons, exploded yogurts, wet swimsuits, overdue library books. She has worked this thing to death and shone it no love. She walks in the door and drops it where it lands. The next day she picks it up and walks out. This bag does not care. It looks like Hell but it is still going.
on August 4, 2017
I have 3 busy boys. When we first bought these backpacks they were starting 4rd, 8th and 11th grades. All 3 of them love the numerous pockets and divisions which help them stay organized. They love the variety of colors and they each picked colors and styles to match their personalities. My middle son is very hard on everything he owns. One year we picked out a $65 backpack (not a Jansport), which he had torn a hole in before the third month of use, this we replaced with yet another brand that faired only better than the original. This is when we decided to try this style. He has now had his backpack for 2 years and I am going to buy him a replacement one to start 10th grade. The top strap is torn and the backpack is dirty and a bit torn on the bottom but considering the child using it, it has held up beyond my expectations (I would have been happy with 1 year and we got 2!!). The other 2 boys, now a 6th grader and a college freshman) are still using their original backpacks and despite offering the college freshman a new backpack, he says his is still good. I think he likes the softer more malleable shoulder straps of his well worn backpack.

I bought one for myself and use it when we travel. It easily fits a lot of my travel necesities and all the pockets help me keep our travel papers, laptop and other essentials organized and on hand.
on July 4, 2014
My son used this for most of the 2013-14 school year (7th grade). It was stuffed to the brim everyday with all the materials for his six classes, gym clothes, and drum sticks. I doubt it could have handled even another glue stick. The backpack on average weighed 27 pounds. From August until the end of April (April 29) the back pack held it's own. However, that evening the bottom said "adios". With only 3 weeks of school left we used a pack that my husband had-it had a leather bottom. My hope was that this pack would last a couple of years, but now with the school year fast approaching I am searching again.

The size of this pack fit our needs-it just could not withstand daily weight that was required of it. If you will be carrying around a heavy pack look for something with a leather bottom.
on May 10, 2015
My wife is a professor and is always transporting several textbooks back and forth from the classroom. She is typically very hard on bookbags and for one to last more than a year is a rarity. This JanSport Big Student Classic has lasted her almost two and a half years now and is still going strong. That is unheard of for her, so one can get an idea that this is a quality product designed to carry 30 lb loads day in and out.

I also like the fact that the model I got for her is bright red and easy to spot in a classroom or conference room. The model also has high quality steel zippers with nylon tags that zip off about five or six large pockets to hold items, including the back two sections for textbooks. And perhaps most importantly, the shoulder straps are quality triple stitched and connected. Typically in cheaper book bags, the first thing to go is the shoulder straps, which rip or come loose first due to the load placed on them. So far, in this JanSport model, no rips and no tears. For the $35 I spent on this model, that makes it a quality book bag. Five stars so far.
on January 2, 2013
I just bought this for my son in high school. He has folders for every subject plus textbooks for 4 of them that he carries around because he doesn't use his locker. He has gone through a number of backpacks, the last of which was over $40. He loves all the room he has in this one. He said the straps are easier on his shoulders but they were somewhat irritating because they were so stiff. I rolled them back and forth to loosen them up and now he said they are more comfortable. He loves all the compartments it has.

Over all it seems to be a good buy. I will know more by the end of the school year.

UPDATE AUG 1, 2014
I have to update my review after 2 years. This backpack is really strong. My son has this for half his sophomore year and his whole junior year and there isn't even a tear in it. The reason it was half the sophomore yr was because his last back pack that I bought him in Sept. ripped. I was spending anywhere from $35 to almost $50 for backpacks every year and the last one didn't even make it through the school year. He's now going into his Senior year of HS and it's still in excellent condition. He has carried some pretty heavy textbooks in this thing and it's holding up for longer than I ever thought it would. I fully expect him to get through his senior year with this backpack. It's a great bargain.
on August 24, 2016
This brand is one of the best on the market. I've purchased them since mid 80's. Excellent quality, extremely durable and this color is awesome. In the past, because of the heavy school books, these backpacks usually last two years before showing wear and tear on the corners. Hoping this one holds up as well.
on January 3, 2014
This bag is just OK. It does the job, but isn't made of the strong, thick material that I was hoping it would be made of. I was hoping that it would be tough and sturdy like packs from top manufacturers, but instead, it's the same flimsy material that you find in cheap backpacks at discount stores.

Also, the pouches only have one zipper instead of the two way zippers that are found on many high end packs. The zippers also tend to get the thin pack material caught in them and get stuck that way, which can be very frustrating.

Overall, I would not purchase this pack again. I use it and it works OK. I wish that I had shopped around for a higher quality pack, even if it did cost $5 or $10 more than this one--that would have been money well spent.
on September 29, 2014
Thank Heavens I found the exact same BackPack/DayPack as I had before because in my opinion its' the only one to go with!15 years ago I was given this model daypack. After earing it out I got a no-name daypack that immediately showed how awesome this Pack is. It has plenty of pockets and plenty of room for a LOT of stuff. Many conveniences put it at the top of the "Most Functional Packs Ever" list. Web pocket on side for water bottle (I use it for small items I need quick). Interior sub-pockets and dividers in the foremost section. Plenty of space in the 2 large main compartments. Etc. Also, the straps have never chafed or gouged my shoulders even with a lot of weight. And the durability of the fabric is great (tho the new one bought in Sept 2014 seems like it may be made of lighter material than my older ones- we'll see how it holds up. In any case, about as good a back pack, the most sensible ergonomic Daypack ever! Get it!
on March 22, 2017
I love this bag. It has tons of room. There are two large zippered pockets in back and three zippered compartments in front. In the front there are extra pockets and spaces and a small carabiner inside. The mesh water bottle pockets will work for small bottles only. After three years it still looks new. Zippers are in perfect working condition. I machine wash it and hang it dry.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.