Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,030 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,178 reviews
on August 6, 2016
This bag is completely gorgeous and absolutely huge!!!! It has so many smaller compartments and then two huge parts for books, laptops, notepads, folders, binders, ect!!!! I'm in love! The print is gorgeous and clear and so sweet! The stitching is marvelous and everything is so tough and sturdy!! I'm enchanted! Actually excited for college to start back up for once!
on October 15, 2015
So I have been using a messenger bag for the last year, but decided to switch back to a traditional backpack because my back has been killing me. As a grad school student I needed a bag with multiple compartments, and enough room for several heavy binders and books. I had this backpack when I was in highschool (go '04!), and I used to love it so I decided to give it a second go. I still have the old one but it's covered in Sharpie designs.
Although I just got this bag in the mail today I can say a few things. Will update the post in a few months.

1. It has plenty of room! More than I remembered. I can easily fit my laptop sleeve, 2 binders, multiple notebooks, and other misc objects.
2. The zipper is currently annoying- it gets stuck on the inner lining, but I suspect this is because the bag is brand new. Over time I imagine everything will loosen up.
3. It is very lightweight- so you are not adding extra weight on top of all the junk you have to carry.
4. I am slightly disappointed that the material has changed from the older model. It feels a bit thinner, and the bottom of the bag isn't double lined to insure extra support for carrying heavy things, BUT the bag looks to be made well, and with the company promise I'll just request another if this one breaks.
5. The straps will need to be broken in for sure. They do have an internal padding for comfort, but it all feels stiff at the moment.
6. I chose the gray- which is pretty similar to the online description image so I'm pleased. Dark enough to hide dirt, but not another black bag added to the collection.
7. A main reason I liked this backpack back then was the pencil case that still is present in this one. It's right up front (top zipper) so I never felt like I was digging for something to write with.

SO.. yes I do feel a bit dorky as this bag is clearly designed for a highschool student (not really stylish by any means), but I can already carry twice as much as my Patagonia messenger so I'm happy.

JANSPORT! Could you possibly offer your bags without the large logo smack in the middle? I think the label defers interest.
review image review image review image
on October 28, 2013
I used Jansport throughout college and has, without a doubt, been the best investment for a Strong/Sturdy backpack that you would ever need. I went to undergraduate school and Medical School, and MANY times I carried a lot of books and the Jansport backpack was the Best at carrying heavy loads. It is not made for the laptop, specifically, yet can carry one without a problem. It does not have a special sleeve for the laptop, yet can carry everything, including a laptop.

The dimensions are not what Amazon has provided us with, yet here are the true dimensions for the 'Jansport BIG Student Backpack':

Product Features:

Lifetime Warranty

S-Curve shoulder straps
Two large main compartments for versatile storage
Front gear pocket with audio electronics organizer
Quick-find cell phone pocket on the top of front side
Stash pocket with expandable pleats on lower front side
Fully padded back panel for cushioning comfort

Detailed Product Description:

The Big Student is a durable, ergonomically-designed bag with a fully padded back panel and padded shoulder straps.

Product Specifications Size:

Large Dimensions: 17.5" x 13" x 10.12"

Weight: 10 oz

Capacity: 2100 cu. in.

Material: 600 Denier Poly

Warranty: Lifetime

Linear Inches: 40.62"

The Jansport Backpack products are GREAT! Zippers are Heavy Duty. I use small locks where the zippers meet, because the end of the zippers have little holes that allow small locks to lock the zippers. Almost all backpacks do Not have that feature. It is water-resistant. I would not submerge it in water to see if it is really waterproof, yet for almost anybody's needs it will keep everything dry inside of it. Students and Campers will find lots of room for things inside of it.

If anything goes wrong, just get in touch with Jansport, they will be more than helpful, considering it has a Lifetime guarantee, and Jansport has been around for a very long time.

Remember, it is not padded inside of it (for example, a padded sleeve for a laptop). Yet, there is padding for your back when you use the backpack. The shoulder straps are comfortable and adjustable.

GREAT price on Amazon, and I looked around! With Amazon's return policy, it is well worth a try, because you can always return it, For Free!
33 comments| 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2015
I bought one of these a few years ago, and just got another to have as a spare. These are very well-built backpacks, with a lot of room in them, designed to fill out in a large but compact manner. There are just enough extra pockets and compartments to be handy but not get in the way. This items is quite sturdy and wears very well, with the exception of the bottle pocket on the side, the bottom of which detached on my older one.

Includes a main compartment (large enough for a 15" laptop in its own holder sleeve as well as at least 3 largish textbooks); a secondary large compartment to fill out the main storage (preventing you from having to put everything in one giant space); a large pocket on the back (good for tablets like an iPad) with smaller pockets inside for notebooks and pens; a smaller pocket on that (good for a variety of smaller objects up to small notebook size); and a shallow pocket above both of the previous, good for eyeglass cases, pens, cloths, what have you. There is a single bottle pouch behind your right arm when you're wearing it; as mentioned above, this was the first part on my pack that failed. However, considering the heavy use I put it to, I would call that acceptable damage; a lot of cheaper backpacks I have bought fall apart completely in much less time.

Jansport has been around for a long time and has always made good products; go with this over a cheaper model every time. In the long run, you'll save money.
on January 22, 2016
I'm a full time college student who carries around really heavy textbooks, among other things. I originally bought this on October 29, 2009 and finally, after 5 years and 3 months, need another one since the original is starting to break down. In my opinion, 5 years of throwing around the backpack, traveling to and from school on public transit, carrying heavy items in the bag, I'd say I have had my money's worth. If you want a sturdy backpack that can take a beating, I highly suggest you get this one. And trust me, it thoroughly got a beating. I'm one of those types of people that will travel with heavy textbooks, lay it wherever, accidentally kick it, etc. And it still lasted me a good 5 years.

I just hope the new one I get lasts just as long (or longer).
on July 13, 2017
I love the pattern! I ordered the White backpack with pink/orange flowers and I really do enjoy it. The flowers look almost watercolored and look nice and crisp against the clear white background. In terms of space, I can fit about 3 large sized textbooks, notebooks, folders and pencils, supplies, etc. Very roomy. However, the bottom has only like a little "cushion" and after that it's just the bottom of the backpack and at times I'm afraid it won't hold everything up. But besides that, the inside is great. I love the add on of the little phone pouch, it helps to find your phone instead of digging through your backpack. Next, the straps. I used to own a Sierra Backpack and those straps were really comfortable. However, these straps are somewhat hard and when you put many things in your backpack, the straps tend to weigh you down and they sometimes even dig into your shoulders. Other than those, I love the print and spaciousness!
on January 11, 2016
JanSport is an excellent supplier of backpacks. These packs can last for a long time. The big student version gives a lot of room for the student who is carrying around a lot of books. My Kiddo is an honors student in HS now, and when it was time to purchase a new book bag he stated he wanted the one just like he already had, because it could hold all his stuff. I did get a different color than last time, I thought he would like the blue. His last one (black) he's had since 6th grade and he's now halfway through tenth, the pack is still in good condition, there are no tears just the normal scruff/wear that a kid puts a back through.

I sent $40 on his pack in 6th grade and we got five years of use out of it, I expect this new back to last through college. Before I would get a cheaper bookbag and would end up having to replace it, the bag not lasting through one school year. It's worth the extra money for quality.
on January 17, 2015
This is actually the third of these our two teenagers have owned. The capacity is what sold us on them and Jansport makes good products. (I still occasionally use my old Jansport high school backpack--27 years later!) My sons take lunches everyday and have books and binders and this bag can't be beat when trying to carry a lot. The issue is the zipper! The zipper is sewn in with a flap of fabric that covers it. This helps it look neat but that flap has a tendency to get run over by the zipper and jam up. One of the backpacks did this when my son was at school. He had to cut the bag open to get his homework out! I ordered a replacement and the new bag has jammed up twice but I was able to unjam it. The second time, I had to make a small cut on the flap fabric in order to free the zipper, though, so I need to find a better solution to ensure we don't have to ruin another expensive backpack. I may resort to trimming the flaps off and try to sew the edges to keep it from fraying...a real pain, for sure! I wish the design just didn't have those zipper cover flaps.
on October 19, 2015
The only real problem (and it's big enough to merit knocking some stars off) is that the zippers are CONSTANTLY binding up with the zipper flap. If you aren't careful every single time, you'll end up having to wrestle with it every time you zip it shut in a hurry... And God help you if you really get it crammed in there.

I got so frustrated with the zippers that I don't even use it anymore - it has become the trunk bag full of jumper cables, tire pressure gauge, etcetera.
on February 6, 2017
Purchased this backpack for my 15 year old son and there is enough room for his laptop, books and notebooks. My son has owned a $25 LandsEnd backpack for the past 9.5 years and the straps on that started to wear. (We were aiming for a record of k-12.) He has had this backpack for almost 2 months and the handle strap has already halfway torn off from the backpack, hence the 4/5 star rating.The good thing is that the backpack itself doesn't have a hole in it from the handle detaching. This backpack doesn't hold as much as his former backpack, but close. Overall, he is happy with it. I just wish it were built better.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.