Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Camila Cabello All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on October 8, 2013
Ok, so I'm a little biased because I absolutely love Nathan's other books (the Gotrek and Felix series he took over, the spin off of Ulrika, now reading Blackhearts, even a short story I found on his site) but this book, Jane Carver of Waar, may just rank up there as an absolute FAVORITE of mine. The humor, the raunchiness, the adventure, the flawed heroine and heros, the romance, the way it touches upon social issues that apply to us here on Earth, all of that just sucked me in. It's just plain FUN to read. Luckily, I ordered Swords of Waar when I ordered Jane Carver so I could jump right into the next book without waiting and the second book is, dare I say it?, BETTER than the first! I am just hoping that he writes more of Jane because I cannot get enough. I even had a dream that I ended up on Waar just like Jane did!
on March 3, 2015
Big tall red headed biker girl accidentally kills a guy and while fleeing the LAPD squeezes into a cave and comes out in Waar. This take off on ERB's John Carter Warlord of Mars is fast paced, action driven and a lot of fun. I think that Burroughs affectionados will have few objections to these novels and will enjoy them along with the Otis Albert Kline stories. As there can be no new John Carter tales, one must continue as best as possible. This is best.
on December 22, 2012
I'm a long-time fan of Mr. Long's work, especially his 'Blackhearts' series and his 'Gotrek & Felix' novels for Black Library. This novel is a departure from the grim world of Warhammer, and introduces us to Jane Carver, the 21st century's answer to John Carter, and her adventures on Waar. Structurally, the novel is largely an homage/gentle parody of ERB's 'Barsoom' stories, but with many of the antiquated conventions of that series (and fantasy fiction in general) turned on their ears. Jane is a hero by necessity, not by choice, who is believably afflicted with self-doubt and uncertainty, and she is far from the greatest swordsman (person) Waar has ever seen. Despite that, her journey from displaced fugitive to action heroine is thoroughly entertaining and convincingly written. Those familiar with the 'Barsoom' series may cringe a bit at the pursuit of yet another kidnapped princess, but this tale has enough twists, turns, and humour to be more than a carbon copy of its inspiration. It also drops enough hints about what's to come, and the secrets of Waar, to stoke one's interest for future stories.

If you're looking for a refreshing new take on a classic sci-fi fantasy concept, "Jane Carver of Waar" may be just what you're looking for. Jane is a big, bold, bodacious heroine of the sort that we have gone too long without, and I am glad she has finally arrived!
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 19, 2016
A distaff version of John Carter infused with modern sensibilities. More than a simple pastiche, "Jane Carver of Waar" builds on the legacy of Edgar Rice Burroughs without feeling like a ripoff. Jane travels to Waar the same way John Carter first arrives on Mars. She has the same strength and jumping ability of ERB's creation, The native humans were very little clothing and there is an ancient priest cult behind the scenes. Aside from those similarities, Long has created his own world. One improvement is the sexual urges of Jane and the other characters. ERB could only hint at what John Carter and Dejah Thoris were doing just off page. Jane Carver is a real, believable character with an interesting backstory revealed a sliver at a time. This is a fast moving adventure involving political intrigue, conspiracies, pirates, slavery and warfare. If you have any affinity at all for ERB's Barsoom you will find a great deal to enjoy in this modern take on the old tropes. If you have attempted to read Burroughs and found him too old fashioned, you will find the same sense of wonder that ERS's fans find in his writing in this new interpretation..
on March 7, 2012
I just finished Jane Carver and it is a great read. Full of over the top action and adventure, this is swashbuckling as it is supposed to be, thrilling sword fights, dastardly villains, strange aliens and acrobatic stunts. Also pirates, airships, slavers and sex.

I think that it is a little unfair to call this a parody of the classic ERB stories as this novel is it's own beast. In my opinion Jane Carver is a dramatic improvement over the original inspiration which suffered from stilted language and dated attitudes. This book brings John Carter into the 21 st century.

I loved the tiger centaurs, the gladiator fights, the sky pirates, and the heroine's gung-ho attitude. The alien princess is a scream. The sword fight on the top of an airship is fantastic. The author has a real feel for pulp style action with many cunning rescues and dramatic escapes.

I only hope that this is the first in a new series as I would love to read more adventures of Jane Carver.
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 12, 2014
Since I hadn't read John Carter of Mars (or seen the film), any direct parody or correlation was lost on me. I haven't read many science fiction books, but I was searching for a story with a superheroic female lead character and really enjoyed the gruff tone of the buff and tough biker babe, Jane Carver.
on June 21, 2012
This book was obviously inspired by the John Carter of Mars books by E.R.B. The author's first person viewpoint was entertaining and easy to read. It has some fantastically unbelievable adventures and situations but that's all part of the fun. Suspend your belief and enjoy the ride.
on March 29, 2014
A real s*** kicker in the tradition of John Carter of Mars [by Edgar Rice Burroughs]. Highly recommended! I'm going to purchase volume 2!
on April 17, 2015
He liked it.
on October 15, 2012
A must for John Carter of Mars fans. A modern play on Bourroughs books with good humer thrown in to a fantasic world. Read and enjoy!