Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 63 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on June 15, 2017
I love mysteries (being a confirmed Sherlockian) and adore Jane Austen-related pastiches. So when I discovered this series I had planned to work my way through the whole thing. The text is properly written and edited. The story, however, is boring me to tears. Usually when I'm reading I check periodically to see how close I am to the end of the story -- to the end of the enjoyment. Not this book; I'm checking to see if I've actually made any progress in reading because it just moves so slowly. I truly believe pages have been added to this book since I started reading it -- that's how tedious it is. There are a few moments of interest -- as when the first earl "visits" -- but I don't think I can force myself to read any more of it. Sorry; this is just not for me. (And amazon will have to add a choice of "dull" to describe the mood."
on January 3, 2017
I think the premise of this book was excellent. The characters were well-drawn, ultimately, but I struggled with the pace, which was occasionally quite slow. I also struggled with some of the characters because they popped in and out and were a bit confusing. Generally enjoyable, and better in the second half.
on January 15, 2013
The story, Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor is an excellent mystery! It felt like Jane wrote the book herself! According to the Editor's Foreword that's what it is, manuscripts written by Jane Austen, and edited by Stephanie Barron. I do not know if this is true or part of the story, but I enjoyed the story immensely!

After accepting and breaking a marriage proposal from Harris Bigg-Wither's within a twenty-four hour period, Jane Austen accepts an invitation to visit her dear friend Isobel, Countess of Scargrave, at their country home Scargrave Manor. Newly married, her husband, the Earl is throwing a ball in her honor. During the ball, the Earl becomes violently ill and dies at dawn the next morning. Isobel's maid disappears shortly after and is found dead a few days later. Rumors of an affair between Isobel and Viscount Payne, the Earl's nephew begin to circulate. Isobel and the Viscount are accused of the murders, and it all looks bleak indeed! Jane races against the clock to find the true murderer!

Isobel is sent to Newgate prison to await her trial before the Bar. Newgate is a horrible place to be, and although it is not the main focus, Barron doesn't make light of it. Isobel is in despair there.

I loved how much Jane reminded me of Elizabeth Bennett. Another person, Lieutenant Hearst, a member of the Earl's family had strong hints of Wickham and Frank Churchill. There are also well recognized Austen lines placed here and there along the story. I loved finding them!

I was at a loss as to guess whodunit, there are a cast of characters whom all would benefit from the Earl's death! If you enjoy a good mystery and Jane Austen, this is the book for you! With ghosts and murder, it has the feel of a gothic novel!

I purchased my copy of Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor.
on August 8, 2016
Love these Jane Austen mystery books. Reading the most recent (2016) one right now. Hoping Ms Barron keeps 'em coming!
Written in Austen's style with Jane Austen as the protagonist/murder mystery solver. Much historical info incorporated and use of English area settings. Delightful!
on September 6, 2017
Great fun to read, not overly accurate, but just enough to make you feel that you actually learn something about Jane Austen. A bit tedious at times but surprisingly crisp. I really appreciate that Barron allows Jane a bit of excitement. We all know Austen had her wits about her because of her wonderful books, but it's actually quite interesting to see her as the heroine.
on December 19, 2012
For the most part I can't stand Austen sequels, and that's an understatement. This novel is a bit silly in that it's Jane Austen as a detective, but I rate it this highly because she does a great job of writing in the style of Jane Austen and there are references to her fiction. I am not a mystery reader, so have only read 2 of these, but if this is your cup of tea, I recommend trying this first one first. I bought this copy for my niece who is a huge Austen fan. I am a huge Pride and Prejudice fan, but that's the only Austen book I'm a huge fan of, thanks in part to the production staring David Rintoul which is what motivated me to read Austen in the first place (far more accurate to the book and the time than the one with Colin Firth.) I have read all of her novels since then, but have only read P & P more than once.
on October 25, 2009
I'm currently enjoying the works of Donna Leon and P.D. James, two first-rate mystery writers. I am also a Jane Austen fantatic. I'd stumbled across the Stephanie Barron titles here at Amazon some time ago but, having read some poor Austen sequels/spinoffs in the preceding months, wasn't tempted. However, I recently read some of the reviews and decided to try the Barron that reviewers seemed to favor, "His Lordship's Legacy". I quite enjoyed that and decided to give the first entry in the series a try ... and found "Scargrave Manor" quite enjoyable. Like other reviewers, I thought the all-too-frequent use of lines from Austen's novels was annoying. And the resolution of the mystery seemed a bit forced. On the positive side, Barron's attempt to re-create Austen's prose style largely succeeds and, clearly, her understanding of the Regency period is excellent. The first half of the book was a bit of a slow read - compared with the works of Austen herself, Leon, and James - but it began to pick up after a while. Overall, "Scargrave Manor" was an enjoyable read.
on January 31, 2017
I've read a number of Jane Austen inspired novels, and I feel this is one of the best. I could believe I was back in Jane's time and place, and Jane herself was very plausible. Some of the characters were quite sympathetic; others made you want to wring their necks - just as in the original Austen novels. Fun to read!
on January 7, 2017
This was not just an exciting mystery, it was written in the style of Jane Austin. Had a hard time putting it down only to take it up again at my first opportunity.
on January 26, 2017
I enjoyed this book. The author created the ambiance of Jane Austin with sentence structure and grammar. The author's notes at the chapter ending gave nice clarification to period but could be overlooked if the reader didn't need them. The author kept the piece in the time and place Great fun