Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 622 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 695 reviews
on August 18, 2015
I got this for my 7 year old daughter to learn on, and she absolutely loves it! Shes able to set it up and thread it herself. We would of liked an on/off switch but thats only a minor detail. The instructions were easy enough for her to read and follow. Changing the stitch type is also a breeze. The color choices are awesome I'm sure most girls would love any of the color choices. We'd recommend this machine for every beginner. :)
review image
219 helpful votes
220 helpful votes
on March 20, 2015
 I debated whether to get this machine or a "real" machine for my daughter to start sewing. The price was nearly the same, but what made me decide on this one is the drop in bobbin. I just find it so much easier to work with than the old fashioned vertical casing. So, off the bat, this machine sews a nice stitch and has a nice selection of stitches, plenty for a starter. It doesn't have an on off switch, when plugged in, it turns on when the pedal is pushed, and off when it's not. It has one sewing speed which is sort of slow, but a great speed for a learner/kid. The power is competent. It is lightweight, but not flimsy. Others have said this qualifies as a "toy". I wouldn't call it that, but the price is such that repairs will likely not be worth the cost.

Cons:
No Light
Comes unthreaded frequently
A bit of a pain to thread around the finger guard foot

If this machine lasts a few years, it will have been worth the purchase.

I've included a video of the machine running as normal. As someone with a lot of sewing machine experience, I like to hear/see a machine run.

I'm sure I've over looked something, if you have questions, I'm an avid sewer and will answer them in the comments as best I can.
229 helpful votes
230 helpful votes
1717 comments|Report abuse
on September 27, 2014
Purchased the Janome\New Home Portable Sewing Machine for a five year old who has been wanting a sewing machine for over a year and a half. This is an electric powered mechanical sewing machine that is simple to thread, with an on\off one speed foot pedal, ten stitches, half sized machine, lightweight at five pounds and fairly quite. Comes with three bobbins, and two needles which are standard Janome clear plastic bobbins, and uses ONLY size #14 (90) needles. Within ten minutes or so the child was able to wind the bobbin thread, insert the bobbin, follow the thread path and start sewing - much to their amazement and total confidence. The only adult assistance needed was with threading the needle eye and bringing up the bobbin thread. The combination presser foot plastic finger guard, is a great safety feature but does take a bit more effort to thread the needle and catch the bobbin thread loop as it blocks access somewhat. This child had never sewn on a machine before, although over the last few months, we have had many talks about safety, discussed parts of my sewing machine, watched online videos, and read books about machine sewing.
291 helpful votes
292 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on April 27, 2016
Those of mature women who can't haul heavy machines everywhere any more.

I read many of the reviews before I purchased this little gem, and so was not surprised or disappointed in any way. I waited to send this review until I had really road tested it. This little machine can hold it own with any of the "feather and light weights". I have been sewing steadily for 4 days at a quilting guild retreat and this baby does everything I ask it to. Yes, it is a bit noisy but in a room with 23 other quilters it is clearly not the loudest.

If you are clear that you want a truly portable machine that can deliver quality stitching with ease this one's for you. Price is fantastic for the value.

My one recommendation is a light over the needle area. I added an LED bendable light to mine and solved the problem.
review image
68 helpful votes
69 helpful votes
on December 30, 2016
There are many excellent qualities in this machine for beginners. My nieces 8 and 11 have been sewing for a few years with my supervision when I visit. They were ready for their own machine. The sewing speed is much slower than most machines and I consider that a good feature. It will force them to take their time and be more precise. The uncomplicated stitch selection is great for beginners by eliminating a separate stitch length knob. The manual has far more pictures and uncomplicated directions than the usual manuals, so it will be easier for the girls to operate once I'm gone. Bobbin winding and threading are standard and pretty easy with the exception of threading the needle. That task is painful. A separate needle threader is provided, but with the unusually large presser foot (to protect little fingers), its harder than usual to hand thread. there is no light on the machine and that is by far the biggest pain point. A separate light source is an absolute must. Overhead lighting is not sufficient.
on December 29, 2016
I bought this for my six year old grandson for Christmas and he loves it! He is able to sew easily and even though I sit and directly supervise him, I feel better knowing the needle guard will keep his fingers safe. His first project was a bunting in Seahawks colors to hang in his bedroom. It does very nice stitches. I used one of my pre-wound bobbins and it works just fine. Also, his four year old brother wanted in on the action and he made a cute little rice sock to take to bed at night. We have not tried the zig zag and other stitches yet. I would recommend this as a first sewing machine.
3 helpful votes
on January 8, 2014
This is a great machine. Its nice and sturdy yet very light weight. It is simple to use and has a single foot pedal speed. Prefect for those who can't be with out a sewing machine when traveling ;) or because of its simplicity and slow speed it's great for learning on. Even my husband has started sewing on occasion.
100 helpful votes
101 helpful votes
on January 8, 2017
Wish it had a light of some sort. Very lightweight.I am not crazy about the way the bobbin winds so I opt to use a free standing bobbin winder.. Other wise is a nice little starter machine for my granddaughter
on March 25, 2017
A bit much on the setup and it took us a few tries as the directions didn't seem to be very clear but after it was functional it was easy enough to use and stitches nicely
on February 21, 2016
My 11 year old daughter wanted a sewing machine for her birthday. I myself have never used a machine and was a little nervous about the whole thing. The price was right on this one, so decided to give it a try. She was so excited to receive it. It is very cute looking and would be very easy to transport to a sewing class or for travel. What I really like is that there is a plastic guard around the needle which makes it a lot safer for a young beginner. Now, again, I took it out of the box with no sewing machine experience whatsoever. So I didn't have a clue how to begin. The instructions for threading the machine were very easy to follow and I had it ready to go in no time. There are 10 different stitch options as well, The pedal is easy to use and operates at one speed regardless of pressure on it. This is a great beginner machine, and I look forward to learning to sew along with my daughter.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.