Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 260 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 294 reviews
on December 13, 2011
When my old Singer started acting up, I decided it was time to replace it. I did not need or want a digital/electronic machine with a million fancy stitches. I did a lot of research and reading of reviews and settled on this Janome. It has all the basic stitches I need plus a few fancy ones if I'm feeling adventurous. I make bags, so I sew a lot of thicker materials. I have fallen in love with the Tricot stitch (a zig zag stitch with 3 stitches for each zig and three for each zag), and the Triple Strength stitch (awesome for my bags!) I had also forgotten that sewing machines really do sew straight lines without torturing the fabric to make it happen! (LOL) There are a bunch of feed dogs that move the fabric very smoothly. I also love the fact that the top of the machine has a compartment that holds most of your extra feet, some needles, and your thread. I have sewn very light, chiffon type fabrics and slippery fabrics, and they both did well. I am extremely happy with this purchase.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1818 comments| 367 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 4, 2014
This is my 3rd, and hopefully last, sewing machine. I've only been sewing a few years, but quickly outgrew my beginner machine. The 2nd machine I had was supposed to be perfect for quilting, but I soon found out it had its limitations such as not being able to sew through batting, two layers of fabric, binding and double seams -- there's no point in using a "quilting" machine that can't get through a quilt sandwich well.

I started researching machines and stumbled across a review for the Janome HD3000. My main concern is being able to sew through a quilt sandwich, especially over areas where you have some thickness like double seams and binding. As soon as I received my Janome, I tested it out on a thick layer that my old machine couldn't get through. The Janome sailed over it with ease. I also tested it on several layers of canvas and this machine breezed right over them.

I mainly quilt and do a little garment sewing, and so far, this machine is a dream. I don't need a lot of fancy stitches, so this Janome has everything I need. I wanted something non-computerized because that's one less component that can eventually go bad. Some other reviewers have commented on the hand-wheel and stitch selection levers; I've had no issues with either. The hand-wheel was slightly stiff when I first turned it, but once I turned it a few times, it turns very smoothly.

I did have an issue winding the bobbin tightly, but that was user error. Unlike my last machine, you just have to make sure your thread is securely under the thread guide and bobbin winder thread guide -- as long as the thread goes under the thread guide securely and fits in the bobbin winder slot, it winds perfectly. I had problems because I didn't make sure the thread was securely in those slots before winding.

The foot storage in the top of the machine is wonderful, as is the visual sewing guide reference that shows you which foot to use with which stitch.

This machine is fast enough for me; I'm not a speed sewer. It's also quiet and runs smoothly. The auto needle threader doesn't feel quite as sturdy as the one in my last machine (the only plus my old machine had over this one!), so I'm just careful when using it. It can take some finesse, but it DOES work.

The bonus package was icing on the cake. Overall, this is a wonderful machine for my needs.
11 comment| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 1, 2013
At age 61, I was still sewing on my Singer cabinet machine I purchased in 7th GRADE. It only goes forward, backward, and zig-zag; but it was all I ever needed since I kept it oiled and took it in for a "tune up" on occasion. Well, it finally "froze up" on me and I decided it was time to move ahead. My sister had just purchased a Janome machine and said it was wonderful. I ordered one for myself and now I want to know why I waited so long. It is lightweight, quiet, runs smoothly, has 18 stitches, and a much easier way to change out a bobbin. The only "hitch" was with the dog feed - while reading the manual, I pushed the button to lower the dog feed but could not get them to come back up. The manual said all I had to do was push the button the opposite way! WRONG! I called my sis and her manual said to push the button and the dog feed would raise up the FIRST TIME you press on the foot pedal. So problem solved easily but not before freaking out and thinking I had received a "lemon" sewing machine - turns out I received a "lemon" manual.
33 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 2, 2017
This is my rating, so far. This is only my second machine in my life. I was hesitant cuz I never spent that much for a machine! But it's worth it! Sews like a dream, so far!!! Love the chart on the top cover! Easy guide to lengths, widths, stitch patterns and what foot to use! I love that it came with quite a few different feet neatly stored at the top. Overall I'm in love with this machine!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 26, 2015
This machine is so much more then I expected. It is easy to learn to run, sews smoothly and has handled everything I've needed to do. I couldn't be happier.
on December 8, 2014
Has plenty of power to sew denim and the thick seams when repairing jeans. I used a size 16 needle and it went through the seams very easily. I'm very happy. This is a simple, mechanical machine and it seems perfect for my needs, which are mostly making repairs and doing a few projects.
on May 11, 2015
For the last couple months I have used this machine making covers for chaise lounge chairs, quilted appliance covers and love, love, love it. I struggled with a 30 year old machine that never did do a nice top stitch but it worked for my purposes at the time. Could never stitch heavy fabrics with my old machine either. This one goes through SEVERAL layers like butter. Some reviewers could not get the machine to go slow enough but I did. It is all in how you press the foot pedal. Yes it goes fast but if you position your foot lower on the pedal-like on the very edge closest to you, it will go very slow. I practiced on a test piece of fabric first. The accessory bin had a broken hinging piece (very tiny piece) which we glued a small stainless washer in its place. I am sure a tiny thin plastic piece got damaged in shipping or? I have not used all of the included presser feet but am sure I'm gonna have fun with this machine! It does not jump or vibrate my sewing table as some stated. Possibly my sewing table is more sturdy. I highly recommend this machine and it it beginner easy to figure out. Love the needle threader as even with my glasses it is hard to thread a needle!!!!!
on February 24, 2015
The 50+ year old sewing machine that was handed down to me by my aunt; failed last year. After my husband and I did extensive research, we decided to spend a little more on a sewing machine that would fulfill our needs and last as long or longer than our old one. I decided not to wait until after the holidays and placed the order. I was not really worried about it being delivered before Christmas; however, I was very impressed when my order arrived seven days later. Thank you to Mr. Vac & Mrs. Sew for fulfilling the order so quickly and I would like to thank Amazon for the quick deliver. Sadly we have not actually used our new sewing machine; however, I do not foresee any problems with the machine itself. Thanks again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2015
Great machine with some limitations. The thread spool holder is small, my large thread spools would not fit. Also there is no good way to transfer thread from large pool to the smaller one that would fit - I would be saving smaller holders and manually transferring the thread from this point on. Inserting bobbin into the case is also painful - I had to use a tweezer to get it just right. The bobbin winder auto stop also did not work, when auto stop finally kicked in, I could not use the bobbin because it would not go into the bobbin case.
on January 30, 2016
One of the finest sewing machines out there. Super heavy duty and versatile. Best machine one the market for home use.