Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine with Exclusive Bundle
Style Name: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine with Exclusive Bundle|Change

on July 29, 2011
I used to have a used Top of Line sewing machine and it was fabulous, sewed great, but cost lots of money (even used). Like everyone nowadays budget is a huge concern and it turned out I really don't have as much time to sew as I thought I would. Hubby, kids, etc...all taking my time. :) So I decided to sell my Top of Line machine and purchased this machine instead.

Let me say, this machine has been fabulous. It arrived brand new with all the accessories. The buttonhole foot was in the little drawer that is underneath the machine. This machine has been nothing but a joy to use. It has a great looking straight stitch and for the budget conscious it was a fraction of the cost of my used TOL machine. I do have Amazon prime and spent the extra $3.99 to get it next day and it arrived the next day. Perfect.

This machine is NOT computerized which did take a bit of getting used to for me, and the absolute ONLY thing I really miss is that on some computerized models, the needle can stop always up or always down. People always tout this as a "beginner" machine, but I'm not sure why a really excellent seamstress couldn't/wouldn't use one of these. Maybe my application is different than most. But I find that even on the TOL machine I didn't really use all the extra stitches that much. Then again at this point in my life my projects have to be relatively quick and simple...or they don't get finished.

This machine even has overcasting stitches so you can finish your raw edges and avoid raveling. I LOVE the bobbin on these machines. Has the see through cover and you can see how much thread you have left. Anyway, absolutely no regrets here. It's a nice solid machine, heavy enough so it doesn't bounce around while sewing and the presser foot lifts extra high to allow for thick fabrics to go underneath.
11 comment| 404 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 13, 2016
I've done some COOL projects (like this hand made cloth, not felt, quiet book page! My own design! The little gnome fits inside the tree and there are fairies hiding behind grass flaps)with this thing and I LOVE IT. Janome machines are So much better than Singer
review image
on August 29, 2016
I've been eyeing this one for years and finally gave up my cheaper computerized one to get it. I'm so glad I did! It took a bit to adjust to the non-automatic features but the quality of my stitches and work is now so much better! It still has the drop in bobbin and winder. I do miss the down needle function and automatic theater but I can live without it. Dropped off a star for this reasons, doesn't come with a cover, and the light can get warm overall, I'm very happy with it!
on August 19, 2015
I am by no means an experienced seamstress, and research led me to this sewing machine as one of the top recommendations for a beginner. I'm very pleased to say that the recommendations were very accurate, as this is a great machine that pretty much anyone can use!

The seam choices are simple to figure out, and the mechanisms are also very simple to get the hang of once you read the directions and practice a bit. I have not had one single thread jam, and any errors made were operator caused and very easy to remedy. The functioning of the machine has not ever been affected by my errors, and even if the fabric gets bunched or stuck because of my maneuvering, the machine doesn't jam up. I absolutely love the little storage bin underneath, and the extra feet and supplies it came with were a great addition to an already rewarding purchase.

It's a bit more expensive than other machines of similar functionality, but it's very much worth it for the smooth operation and reliability it offers. I have used one or two other machines in the past that had similar functional capabilities, but this one is much higher quality and well worth the extra bit of money. This sewing machine will be my companion for a long time!
on July 7, 2011
Edited to add:

Well, I've been using the machine this week and am still in love with it. I ran off the fabric a few time since I'm still learning, and the machine remained jam-free (yay!). Adding a bobbin was also a snap. Something I didn't add in the review below is that the machine has a light for when you sew (again, I'm a new sewer and this is my first machine, so maybe all machines have a light - but thought I should mention it just in case).

******

I'm a new sewer, and after taking a sewing class, I was inspired to buy my first machine. My sewing instructor recommended Elna and Janome branded machines, saying that they would last and make all the difference in your sewing projects. She also said they were worth the extra money.

I saw the Janome 7318 on Amazon and decided to take the plunge. I recently signed up for a Living Social deal to have a 2-hour sewing lesson in my home, and when I looked at the instructor's website, she recommends the Janome Magnolia 7318, which made me feel good about my purchase.

My machine arrived today and it's beautiful! It comes with the following standard accessories: zipper foot e, buttonhole foot b, sliding buttonhole foot j, needles, bobbins, small screwdriver, lint brush, seam ripper (buttonhole opener), large spool holder, small spool holder, additional spool pin and felt cushion. At first I thought I had the same problem of missing accessories like another reviewer, but found that while most of the accessories were in a plastic baggie, the sliding buttonhole foot was in the accessory storage (part of the machine), and the large spool holder was on the machine's spool pin. So if you get your machine and think parts are missing, take a look at the machine to double-check they're not in and/or on it.

Here are some other machine features:

1) Unlike the Elna machine that I used in class, this machine has a thread cutter already attached - which is sweet.
2) The extension table can be removed so you can do hems and shirt sleeves.
3) Feed dogs can be dropped
4) You can independently adjust stitch length and width (Maximum Zigzag Width: 5.0 mm Maximum Stitch Length: 4 mm)
5) The needle can be lifted really high to fit bulky/thick fabrics
6) The bobbin can be dropped easily in on the base, and the cover is see-through so you can tell if you're running out of thread. This really help sell me, because in class I kept having bobbin issues. I also ran out of thread in the bobbin mid-project, so the see-through cover would've been helpful.
7) 18 preprogrammed stitches
8) 25 year warranty. Here is what it says on the Janome website regarding the warranty: In the event that your Product needs service covered by this warranty, please contact the authorized Janome dealer from whom you purchased it or a Janome Authorized Service Center. To locate a Janome Authorized Service Center, please call 1-800-631-0183 or visit our web site at [...]. Your product was sold with an instruction booklet and or a DVD/CD-ROM. To avoid any unnecessary inconvenience, we suggest that you refer to the instruction booklet before contacting your authorized Janome dealer or Janome Authorized Service Center for service. We also strongly encourage you to register your product on-line at [...].
(FYI - there was no DVD/CD-ROM with this model)

You can learn more about the machine on the Janome website. There is even a short, but helpful video that runs through the features.

Happy sewing!
55 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2016
Wonderful! I sew for a living, and this is my favorite machine. It's tough, fairly quiet, and I haven't had any of the usual issues so far. ( I've had it for 3 months, and use it 18 hours a week. ) Thinking about purchasing another of these as a backup machine. Love it!
on March 23, 2016
This is a little work horse. I began sewing in March 2016, and have been using this machine 4 to 6 days a week! It'' still going strong, works awesome with light, medium, and semi heavy fabric. I make medical scrub tops, purses, and household items.
review imagereview imagereview image
on October 15, 2017
Have had this for awhile now, test drive over. Works well through a lot of conditions and fabric though a little sluggish going over folded hems at corners and sometimes has to be coaxed. What I don't like is that you can't open the machine to catch thread that has ridden up without unscrewing a major portion of the machine. Most sewing machines have a swing out region above the light/ needle area, this doesnt. You either have to pull back on the thread spool or gently reach in with a seam ripper to catch thread and rethread. The accessory pack is no big deal, you expect a machine to come with needles, at least 3 bobbins, and a screw driver that fits tight areas. The pad I can live without, you can do just as well with a folded towel as long as the machine is level and doesnt move.
review image
on October 19, 2015
I absolutely LOVE this machine! I bought this machine after agonizing over reviews on various sites for a month. It replaced a Singer that I got last year for Christmas- the brand new Singer had a timing issue that couldn't be resolved and was going to cost more to fix than it was worth.
The Janome has been wonderful. I've had no problems with binding up, it runs like the first time every time I use it. I've already made all of our Halloween costumes on it and not a glitch. My old machine didn't have the drop in bobbin. I'll never buy another one without this feature. The book that comes with the machine was helpful for true beginners too, detailing what each stitch is good for, how to care for the machine, etc.
Would definitely recommend to friends.
on August 16, 2016
My husband and I have a shared account. He has not used this sewing machine, but I have. I have made several covers for our new headboard, one was a furry fabric and the other was a polyester fleece. I had no trouble with either fabric. In fact, I haven't felt so much power in a sewing machine, since I used my mothers old 1931 Singer. It has many more stitches than I will ever use, but I'm glad I purchased this heavy duty sewing machine, as I believe I will have it for many years to come.