Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
The Japanese Skincare Revolution: How to Have the Most Beautiful Skin of Your Life--At Any Age Paperback – March 1, 2009
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
"interactive and engaging…We all know we don't need to spend a fortune to look like a million bucks, and I'm all for Saeki's feel-good message." –Bella Sugar Online
"Now we can all find out the secrets to their beautiful skin thanks to … The Japanese Skincare Revolution." –TalkingMakeup.com
"And the core of her methods—getting women to use things they already have—resonates even more as consumers tighten purse strings." —Reuters
"[The Japanese Skincare Revolution offers] practical techniques to combat everything from puffiness to dry skin, using simple massage methods and quick facials with items readily available at home." —The New York Daily News
From the Back Cover
The Japanese Skincare Revolution is the Japanese woman's skincare bible. In this groundbreaking volume, author and beauty guru Chizu Saeki shares with the world--for the first time--the natural, low-cost techniques she developed over a career spent in the beauty industry. With it, you'll learn what today's Japanese women do to keep their skin looking young and healthy.
* Step-by-step instructions with photos show you how to perform each technique
* 6 unique massages for toning the muscles of your face and smoothing out wrinkles
* Do-it-yourself lymph massages for a beautiful neck and chin
* Sensible instructions for cleansing and washing
* 3-minute moisturizing "lotion mask" to make your skin grow lustrous
* Remedies for wrinkles, sagging, oiliness, pimples, and blackheads
* and much, much more, for women of all ages, races, and skin types
DirectionsRead, learn and enjoy having the most beautiful skin of your life!
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
- To begin with, there were some extra costs associated with it: for the first month's adventures, I decided to go with an organic non-alcohol based lotion and serum, some fancy cotton pads, and some shower caps, amounting to roughly $40. Not too bad as they seem that they will last for a while. And I did feel empowered after reading that it's not so much the product, as the way you apply it (anybody else having left a brand-name stand at the mall half depressed after hearing the prices?)
- I am slowly adapting her techniques to my schedule. I found the amount of information to be overwhelming for someone not as versed or previously interested in skincare... so one small step at a time.
- My main complaint about the book: I am not as good at learning from photos, I fully prefer videos! I would have gladly paid for a DVD demonstrating her massage technique (yes, I can follow from the book, but I don't know for how long to hold a stretch for example). And that's the reason I deducted a star (but maybe it's my own stupidity there).
- What has changed in my morning routine: I gave up on her massage routine, but I found a video on youtube about Tanaka face massage, which seems to be closely related. It's a 10 minute lymphatic (sort-of) facial massage. Following that, some minor exercising - rebounding to clear the rest of the lymphatic system, and then, after showering and facial cleansing, put on the serum, do something else for 5 minutes to let it get absorbed, and then prepare her lotion mask... put a shower cap on top, and keep it on for the duration of my morning meditation practice (before you ask, I get up at 5:30 am, so all this, including my daily yoga practice is finished before 7 am).
The results: one month into this practice, my forehead wrinkles have almost disappeared, the fine lines underneath the eyes are getting better and the couple that were on my neck are improving at a rapid pace. To put things in perspective, I'll be 42 in a couple of days.
Yes, it takes effort and time. But then, so does working out, or dieting - no magic pills there. I think the cost (of the extra products, so no direct criticism on the book here) is very reasonable for the results that I am seeing, no complaints there. I think that the information in the book is totally worth it for someone that is not a skincare expert, and would highly recommend this book. And I would certainly buy a DVD if it ever came out :)
I was looking for something specifically Japanese. Her recommendations include Dior, Este Lauder and Clinique. Well, all of those contain toxins, and endocrine disruptors - which I'd rather avoid. They also test on animals, which I'd rather avoid.
While the book claims her aim is to cut back on product usage, she recommends anywhere from 5 to 7 products twice per day. Depending on your kind of skin. Cleanser, scrub, toner, moisture, sunscreen and foundation. With the addition of masks, massage, solitude and meditation. I want to simplify. Not complicate.
I do admit, I am have used solitude and meditation for ages. Both do bring a youthfulness overall. That is one nugget you won't find in standard skin care books.
Ms. Saeki's philosophy on beauty and skin care is to embrace minimalism & quality when it comes to the cosmetics and to dismiss the neurotic chase for perfection. an emphasis on making use of the hands to enhance cosmetics & the health of the skin (e.g. warming up products before application & daily lymphatic massaging of the skin to accelerate blood circulation & wake up the complexion), a good diet & ultimate gratitude (good attitude) in the arsenal of a well rounded skin care routine.
this is completely antithetical to the american philosophy on beauty which breeds consumerism & a sick addiction to cosmetics that we see today. the pictorials in the book don't do much for me & the practical advice doesn't go beyond what we don't already know (cleanse well, moisturize & protect against UV rays) but just for the general wisdom that I can apply to my daily life, this book is golden. thank you Ms. Saeki for this pleasure to read.
The lotion mask is just divine! I make the time now to take care of me no matter what and imagine falling in love like she recommends. I will be purchasing better cotton because each brand I have tried is not like in the book or her videos. I also want to try the lotions I have seen on Amazon. This lotion mask is what will save your face from any past damage and give you a beautiful glow.
I will be recommending this book to all my friends and getting it as gifts for friends that I know will just love it.
Highly, highly recommend this book :)
I've learned that we should pay attention to taking care of our skin rather than paying too much on buying expensive make-up products to cover it up. Good & healthy bare skin is the true beauty.
Most recent customer reviews
I look forward to implementing their techniques in my skin care routine.