Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Jarlo Ilano
Physical Therapist (MPT) since 1998 and board certified orthopedic clinical specialist (OCS) with the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties. Extensive postgraduate training in neck and back rehabilitation. JKD Unlimited/MMA Instructor, Battlefield Kali Stick and Knife Instructor.
“The GMB approach inspires me, because after all these years of training for so many different goals, the one goal that has always remained is being strong and conditioned for all the activities I do with friends and family.”
Customers Also Bought Items By
With what seems like more than 78 million books about fixing your posture, so what what makes this one different? Three things:
- We bust the myths surrounding bad posture, good posture, pain, muscular tightness, and how to approach them from a scientific standpoint.
- Instead of a cookie-cutter routine, we'll show you how to select the right exercises for your own needs.
- Since even the best routine is useless if you don’t actually do it, we’ll show you how to integrate better movement habits during the other 23.5 hours of the day.
Written by two physical therapists who have worked with thousands of people around the world, Overcoming Poor Posture is based on one simple idea: there is no such thing as perfect posture.
No two bodies are alike, and we’ll teach you how to find your own best alignment so you can live each day in health and comfort while performing your best in all the activities that matter to you. Instead of a painful issue to fix, you’ll learn to think of your postural alignment as a dynamic component of how you sit, stand, and move in your body.
Inside, you’ll find:
- Practical, real-life explanations about the factors that have shaped your posture, the link between poor posture and pain, and how your posture impacts lifestyle.
- Clear pictures demonstrating exercises for alignment, mobility, strength, and motor patterning, all with detailed instructions.
- Tips for making a habit of better posture throughout your day.
- Instruction for choosing the right exercises and structuring a routine that fits your body and goals.
- An appendix with sample programs you can use to get started right away.
Put it all together, and you’ve got a systematic approach to refining your posture for better health and performance in everything you do.
If you're already aware of many of the different exercises for posture, many of the exercises may be familiar to you. However, we teach and show you how to put them together coherently with progression to work toward specific goals instead of just throwing them at your body hoping they will work.
Whether you have a tendency to "throw out" your back, you have a nagging pain in your knee, or even if you just have trouble reaching overhead due to limited shoulder mobility - these issues are not just going to go away on their own. You have to address them head on.
In this collection of popular articles from our website, we cover the four most commonly troublesome areas:
1. Spine - Keeping it strong and supple
2. Hips - Loosening up tight hamstrings and opening range of motion
3. Shoulders - Increasing mobility and reducing pain and stiffness
4. Knees - Avoiding common pains and injuries
You'll get an understanding of each area of the body, along with actionable steps to fix what's ailing you.
"The GMB Fitness team has always impressed me with their practical, systematic approach to exercise. Oiling The Hinges is just what I've come to expect from them; it's thoughtful, thorough and clever just like Jarlo, Ryan and Andy themselves."
- Al Kavadlo, Author of Stretching Your Boundaries
"This is an excellent resource, with detailed and easy to follow descriptions of why certain body areas may be giving you trouble, and suggestions on how to help them. GMB Fitness is my favorite company and this book is worth so much more than it's being offered for."
- Keira Newton, Master RKC, Z Health 3 Certified, Feldenkrais Certified, CK-FMS
"As a man who has battled tight hips, the advice and recommendations about hip mobility in Oiling the Hinges has helped tremendously. Definitely recommend for the fitness warrior who's starting to get along in years."
- Brett McKay, Art of Manliness