Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on August 9, 2013
Another excellent JOC cd set... 8 songs from this cd will end up on my mix compilations .. that is a solid "A" effort.. JOC manages to be subtle and tactical about their songs and music... they always get the word out... between , thru and around the written letters and music. But isn't that what Christ was all about? The parables and tales that make one think about the possibilities of this short life... and the one that is to follow into the everlasting? Sometimes it seems like their music is just too good for this planet... but think of this... they sprinkle a 'lil bit of JOC heaven on ears everywhere they go.. Closer to God, closer to the Kingdom, and humming and singing their brand of God rock for us on that journey to the desired place alongside the Creator, in just about the best way of any band, religious or not, that I've heard .
on October 23, 2010
I approached this album with some trepidation (though the boys from Jars have done more than enough to earn my trust over the years) because I generally do not listen to "praise music". Jars of Clay have never been a formulaic Christian band, something that I deeply respect about them and while there is nothing wrong with straight up praise music, I find their exploration of faith in the world and in our lives to be much more meaningful. So when I heard about a "worship" album coming out, it made me sweat a little bit. Of course my lack of faith could be the subject of one of their songs!

This is a great album. The songs are interesting, fulfilling, complex, and unique (as with most Jar's albums, it took me several listens to really get into the music; I always appreciate the unfolding wonder of Jars music). The contributing voices from others only add to the album-it doesn't turn it into a "We are the World" moment! What they did accomplish with this is to really bring in a sense of community, which is what the album is all about. Outstanding tracks include the title track, Small Rebellions, We Will Follow (which I can't get out of my head!), Out of My Hands, and Lay it Down. This album ranks right up there with the best of Jars of Clay's work (though I can never really decide on a ranking for their albums, other than Good Monsters, which is my favorite). The sound departs a bit from Monsters and Long Fall, and settles in somewhere around 11th Hour and Who We Are Instead.

Trust Jars of Clay to deliver meaningful, thoughtful, and touching music that applies to our lives; you won't be disappointed!
on May 9, 2011
But nonetheless, good. If you buy this album with that mindset, I think you will be quite pleased with your purchase. The fact is, the group's musical style has changed, evolved even. I added this album to a master playlist which I had on shuffle, and initially when these songs came on I would mistake them for Arcade Fire songs. I have no idea if Jars of Clay was influenced by them, but anyone who is familiar with both bands, I imagine, would have no trouble making the connection. The Shelter is not quite as folky as Arcade Fire but still exudes a similar sound.

Still, there are some enduring themes that can be appreciated by those who are fond of the old style. As before, the lyrics are that sometimes morose, yet always hopeful message. The melodies still carry the same, soothing aura. I gave the album four stars because it is not quite as technically complex or innovative as I would like. But nonetheless, The Shelter is a very surprising and pleasing album.
on October 20, 2010
It is real treat to listen to this album - the signature Jars sound is there as a beautiful undercurrent to the dynamic brought by other gifted musicians in collaboration with Dan, Charlie, Steve and Matt. I am still early days listening but the writing and delivery of the songs is pretty special. As someone who was not able to engage with the last Jars album as I have with previous offerings, this production is a reminder of everything I love about the band. The project is a gift of encouragement to live in this world as gathered human community rather than isolated creatures running scared and scattered in our fear of each other! There is good mix of inner reflection (Run in the Night) and outward perspective (Eyes Wide Open). The album pivots gracefully on the theme song (Shelter) with its anthem - like quality.
on November 16, 2010
I love Jars of Clay and this is a good album but not their best. I prefer to hear them sing their own stuff without the help of other well known singers piping in. I admire their difference in style with each new album they create but miss their original sound and style-hope their next effort goes back to their roots more!
on January 30, 2016
They just keep getting better.
on March 4, 2015
This is excellent!!
on May 22, 2013
Love or so so.
I like many songs from this album, but I don't like some songs in it.
Someone says it's a copy of the 'Eleventh Hours', I think it's a short of, but not all.
In addition, all songs features other christian sing-a-song writer, band, individual..... more rich backing vocal.
Overall , I like it.
on December 2, 2010
I've been a fan of Jars of Clay since their first album in 1995. The Shelter is a departure from the usual JOC sound in that they have different guest vocalists on every track. Lead vocalist Dan Haseltine is still on every track, so no worries there. My personal favorite songs from this release are:
Shelter
Out Of My Hands
No Greater Love
Lay It Down

If you are a Jars of Clay fan, this a must-have.
on July 27, 2015