Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jason Derulo
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon October 13, 2010
I purchased this cd as I absolutely loved the single "Ridin' Solo". I was expecting to get a cd that had perhaps one or two good songs on it if I was lucky. Much to my surprise I love every song on this cd. The other reviewers have covered the songs well, so I won't go into that. All I can say if you are a fan of the few Jason Derulo songs you hear on the radio you will definitely enjoy this cd. There's lots of good dance music here.
on January 28, 2012
**Originally posted on "#1 Hits From Another Planet" - 3/2/10**

As soon as Chris Brown's Forever hit it big, I knew that the same swooshy, synthy r&b sound would be ubiquitous in years to come. Now Jason Derulo's made an entire album of the stuff, and despite being pretty concise compared to other albums of this genre, it's certainly a mixed bag.

1. Whatcha Say - It's hard to accurately review this, since so much (aka: the best part) is borrowed from the Imogen Heap song. Without the lengthy sample, this would be pretty boring. Luckily, the hook transforms this into something better. Annoyingly, this begins the trend of Jason singing his name over the beginning of almost every track. 8/10

2. Ridin' Solo - Autotune to the max! Beyond that, though, the uptempo hook is ridiculously catchy. The verses less so. His voice sounds so strange here, but it gets high marks for that chorus. 7/10

3. In My Head - The second single, and one of the strongest tracks on the album. It's derivative in so many ways and sounds like so much already out there, but the melody is dangerously catchy. 8/10

4. The Sky's The Limit - This adheres to that Forever sound I mentioned earlier. Swooping atmospheric synths build up to a chorus that should be stronger than it is. Still, I'm happy to see another reasonably strong uptempo. 7/10

5. What If - Beginning with a ridiculously dramatic spoken intro, this is where the album takes a potentially dangerous turn into the banal. It's an average r&b ballad with one catchy bit in the chorus. Otherwise, completely forgettable and too overproduced for its own good. 5/10

6. Love Hangover - Thankfully, we're back to uptempo territory here. This is really pretty fantastic... probably my favorite track on the album. Everything works here. It's a great combo of dance/synth elements and straightforward r&b. 9/10

7. Encore - The last strong(ish) track of the album (though it begins with him singing is name again). His vocals are pretty strong here and I love the drums in the verses. The chorus is less than spectacular, though, which stops this from being a standout. 6/10

8. Fallen - Boring stuff. The lyrics are stupid and the melody goes nowhere. It's instantly forgettable. 4/10

9. Blind - A big ballad to end the (short) album, and it's nothing to write home about. The chorus is a letdown, yet again. It just stops the song from going anywhere. 4/10

Album Grade: 6.4/10
on October 1, 2015
Very glad I finally got this cd. It's a self titled album, and has some pretty good songs on it. You can tell Jason was blind in love at this time, gullible as heck, but he's genuine, and I love that about him.
on April 3, 2010
When I first saw Jason Desrouleax (he changed the spelling of his name to make it more pronounceable), I dubbed him Chris Brown, Jr. Then when "Whatcha Say" became a #1 hit, I figured it was only because people didn't realize the chorus is built upon a sample that urban audiences aren't familiar with (in this case, Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek"). But "Whatcha Say" isn't a bad song or anything; even so, you'd think his label wouldn't wait almost a full year to release his self-titled debut album (especially since it only has nine songs on it).

There are other good songs on here, like "Love Hangover", "Fallen" and "The Sky's the Limit". But the album might not quite be accessible to everyone because Jason has the kind of voice that sounds like he's using auto-tune, but he isn't. This makes a few of the songs sound the same after a while -- in fact, the only song that really breaks things up is the final one, "Blind". All in all, though, Jason's album is still worth checking out.

Anthony Rupert
on March 2, 2010
"Whatcha Say" put Jason on the map. With its slick video and catchy lyrics, I was hoping that he would be the next Big thing. There seems to be something missing here. At only 9 tracks or 40 minutes nearly all the songs try to play on the formula of Whatcha Say , but none come close to making an equal impact. Why did the record company not include "Part Time Lover" or "Cyber Love" Ft Mims on the cd? Both tracks have been viewed more than 200,000 times on Youtube and reveal a more edgier and different side. This album is in need of different genres not just all mid-tempo r'n'b which doesn't make him stand out from an already competitive crowd like Ne-Yo, Usher, etc.
on February 26, 2012
Very gifted artist -- Jason has so much wonderful experience on and off the stage -- If you haven't read his Bio, you need to, as you will be very surprised of everything he has experienced is his short, young life.
on January 2, 2014
I first of Jason Derulo somewhere in the past four years. Whatcha Say I heard on the radio, but I didn't know who he was. Derulo was bigger than I thought, with four singles charting on the Billboard Hot 100, three of them in the top 10.

I'm no stranger to pop music, which this is more geared towards than r&b. Jason has some great vocals, but at first listen, you will probably think none of the songs are as good as whatcha say, which is the first song. These are second and third listens. It's not a throwaway album, the singing really captures the feel of what Jason wanted.

If it is club music, it's more about finding a girl and dancing with her than it is nasty sex. But it is about being a playa of sorts.

1) Whatcha Say- The first single. It blew up summer 2009, but there was no album that year. If I would have heard the song that year, I'd say where's the release? I've reviewed darker music like Drake, but this is real sunny. The singing is real good. One of the best songs on the cd. 5 out of 5

2) Ridin' Solo- The third single. There's no stellar hook that captures you this time. If you have the patience, you'll find a strong track. It's a ridin' song, but it's apparent this isn't hard music. If you have stronger morals and are into pop, this one will fit you. The verses are great. 5 out of 5

3) In My Head- The second single. Jason Derulo picks the pace back up. It's real catchy, as much as whatcha say. Check this song out if you're new to Jason Derulo besides whatcha say. The singing is infectious. 5 out of 5

4) The Sky's the Limit- The fifth single. It didn't make it to US radio. Real on point singing. The hook is reeaal good. This could go for the clubs. It's more about a certain girl. Jason knows how to make songs for couples. 5 out of 5

5) What If- The fourth single. Jason stopped his top 10 streak with this. But the song is above stellar. It seems like every other song bests each other. Tracks 1, 3, and 5 are the best so far. It's addictingly good. 5 out of 5

6) Love Hangover- I think it should have been a single. It's a club track, and it's a mean song. Everything is on par. This is another song you should check out if you are new to Jason Derulo. 5 out of 5

7) Encore- Now we have a slower song. It's a second or third listen song. Jason is still talking to one girl, but it's pretty sugary. The only problem with this song is it's not as hooky. 5 out of 5

8) Fallen- This could pass for something Carrie Underwood did. Jason Derulo hasn't had a first listen banger for a couple songs. The reason I'm giving this song a 5 is because the singing is so damn catchy and syrupy. Another not as hooky. I think it could have been a late late single. 5 out of 5

9) Blind- Jason Derulo leaves the club for some partial ballads. He pours his heart. It kinda sounds like something Usher has done. For a first album, it's really good. 5 out of 5

10) Strobelight- The bonus track. Jason is back in the club, which is good because it's where he really shines. If you buy this, be sure to check if this song is there because it's a first listen song, which a couple songs aren't.

Jason Derulo has had a promising career, but he did not release his third album, Tattoos in the US. We got an EP. I will review Tattoos in the future. His self titled album is tight club music.

He slows it down later in the cd, but it for the most part is an album full of singles. If you are impatient, I recommend In My Head, Love Hangover, Strobelight, and What If.

Pros:Jason is another great singer. His singing is sugary sweet.

Cons:A couple songs it takes a few listens to appreciate.

Great Music to Play While: Driving
on April 22, 2010
I would have given this CD a 5 star rating but only gave it a 4. The only reason I did not give it a 5 is because it only has 9 songs on it. Every song is great with a catchy hook. I listen to it over and over. I especially love In My Head, What If, and Blinded. But all are very good. The CD would have been so much better if there were more songs. Jason reminds me of a combination of Chris Brown, Neyo and Usher. He is the whole package and wow can he dance too. The price on Amazon through CD Imports is only $7.99, which is really a great price. I will look forward to Jason's next CD.
on May 20, 2013
I bought this album about 2 1/2 years ago when I liked pop, hip hop, rap, and similar genres. I thought this album was great. I liked all but 1 song I think. Then I discovered the Beatles and I absolutely fell in love with them. I then started disliking rap, hip hop, etc. So based on my opinion pre-Beatles, I give it a 5 star rating, but based on my opinion now, I give it a 1 star rating because eve though the message of all the songs is good, it's still just generic hip hop. So I'll average it with a 3.
on August 18, 2013
Really well done, for younger audience, 'dancey', charming and effortless. All the songs pass as singles. Definitely deserves 5* but seems to be getting lukewarm reviews on amazon. True, the lyrics is kind of ? occasionally and this review sort of ignores what he's saying there; do not expect any great thoughts for sure.