Java for ColdFusion Developers Paperback – January 7, 2003
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The first Java guide specifically for experienced ColdFusion developers and Web professionals!
- Leverage your Web and ColdFusion skills to develop powerful Java applications
- Master JSP, servlets, custom tags, JavaBeans, JDBC, and other key Java Web technologies
- Install and run Apache Tomcat 4 and JRun 4 application servers
- Build several complete applications, including an e-commerce site
- Includes handy Java glossary and JSP/servlet references
- Up-to-the-minute coverage of Java 1.4, JSP 1.2, servlet 2.3, and ColdFusion MX
With ColdFusion MX and this book, any Web professional can leverage the power of Java to build robust, high-performance Web applications. Leading Web developer and columnist Eben Hewitt begins with a rapid-fire introduction to Java that builds on what you already know about ColdFusion to teach you exactly what you need to know about Java programming. Hewitt's focused examples, real-world insights, and code will take you from the basics of object-oriented programming to sophisticated JSP/servlet development, XML-based applications, and beyond!
- Master object-oriented application design and programming
- Build powerful servlets, JavaServer Pages, applets, and desktop applications
- Leverage XML & XSLT, exception handling, I/O, JDBC databases, and more
- Understand the similarities and key differences between CFML and Java development
- Integrate ColdFusion MX with J2EE and servlet technology
- Create JSP custom tags and use the brand-new JSP Standard Tag Library
- Includes complete references to JSP tags and the Servlet API, plus a handy Java glossary
The bookUs extensive code examples (downloadable from
www.corecoldfusion.com) include a start-to-finish Java e-commerce application.
About the Author
EBEN HEWITT, M.A., is a Macromedia Certified ColdFusion Developer and Web Development Manager at Cybertrails.com. He is a frequent columnist, author of Core ColdFusion 5 (Prentice Hall PTR), and creator of Eben Hewitt's ColdFusion Training Course: A Digital Seminar on CD-ROM (PTG Interactive). Every month, millions of people visit the ColdFusion and Java-based sites he has created.
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The author has organized his information in a logical manner that builds from the basics and moves throught topics that include programming structures and object-oriented application design. Specific to CF developers is the chapter on "Extending ColdFusion with Java" to leverage ColdFusion use in J2EE environments.
Hewitt has an easy tone that makes you feel as though he's talking directly to you. He includes code for creating class files as he moves along to allow you to write and compile as you go. An experienced author with two other CF books behind him, he introduces Java to experienced CF developers who may come from a web background instead of hard-core programming. The book covers the basics thoroughly without breaking your back (unlike other books in my backpack!)
It's not a book for those new to ColdFusion or other types of programming, but it's an excellent resource for those of us who are overwhelmed by the current number of cryptic Java books available. As the introduction to Hal Helms reads, Eben Hewitt achieves his goal by "helping us leverage our ColdFusion knowledge into Java expertise."
Lisa Wilson, Manager, Sacramento ColdFusion User Group
Top international reviews
Book would have been much better if it would have demonstrated how to do things that ColdFusion makes trivial with Java. Unfortunately it focuses on basic data structures that can be understood quite easily in my opinion.