Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2011
This is a great place to start learning Java. I think the book is good for beginners to start learning Java, as well as great reference for those experienced with Java.

The book does not use an IDE to create, compile, and run the programs. It uses javac and java commands to compile and run. I used both the SDK command lines and the IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition to compile and run the programs. Both worked fine, but I also have an interest in learning to use IntelliJ IDEA.

The book covers the Java language, the Java Library, Software Development with Java Beans, Swing, Servlets, and ends with building 2 sample applications.

The book covers Data Types and Operators, Control Statements, Classes, Objects, Methods, Packages, Interfaces, Exception Handling, Inheritance, I/O, Multithreading, Enumerations, Autoboxing, Static Import, Annotations, Generics, Applets, Events, AWT and Swing, Java's Documentation Comments, Varargs, Networking, Collections, Concurrent API, JavaBeans, and servlets.

All the code is available for download and is very well organize and usable. It is separated by chapter.

My favorite part of the book was that it spent a lot of time on UI topics. There were several good chapters on AWT and Swing. I also like the author's writing style. The book is a nice read as well as a good reference.

My main complaint about this book is that it includes almost all of the Java, A Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition. Anyone beginning Java would obviously start with Java, A Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition, but if I was to do it again, I would not bother with Java, A Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition. The only advantage the Java, A Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition book offers is that it is more of a tutorial oriented book. It has little extras like self-tests and hands on exercises.

My main complaint leads to my second complaint. I would have liked to see more on Servlets. There is a chapter that introduces them and then they are used in the sample applications, but I would have liked to see a lot more on them. I know the book is already huge, but if the Java, A Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition was not included in it, there would have been plenty of room for more on Servlets.

I have a C# background so the concepts and syntax were not that hard to pick up. What I needed was an overview of the libraries that are available with Java. I felt I got what I needed to jump start my Java learning path. I will be keeping this book handy to use as a reference in the future.

All in all I find this a great book for the beginner and the experienced Java programmer.
66 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2012
The Good:
I use this book as a reference for very clear examples on how to do something. If the book does cover a topic, you can be sure that the explanations are concrete and very easy to understand. The book absolutely shines for its intended purpose. It makes a great supplemental book for most folks learning Java as an additional resource.

There is an absolutely fabulous example of a Swing application at the end of the book. It shows how to implement the Observer pattern, manage button states and threading within a Swing application. You can also get a general idea of how to architect a moderately complex Swing application from this example.

The table of contents is very well organized. For those without an electronic copy, this is of great value.

The Bad:
I do not solely recommend this book for someone completely new to Java. It misses on some key areas. For example, the chapter on Inheritance does not cover using @Override when overriding methods. Yet, in the same chapter it discusses how you can accidentally Overload a method without even mentioning this annotation. @Override is briefly mentioned later as a type of annotation but it does not explain good practices, how to use it, etc. Examples that use overriding themselves, do not use @Override! The concept of downcasting is not covered specifically. It's not until the chapter on I/O that isinstance is covered and its very briefly explained.

While I pointed out a great Swing example above, the book completely excludes any reference to SwingWorker. This is a great feature that was added in Java 6 for threading Swing applications.

There are no details on how to write hashCode methods for data objects. Again, I believe this points back to the weak coverage of Overriding methods. If your read this book end-to-end, you will have no idea what this entails when you start to manage collections of objects. Even a more antiquated book such as Ivor Horton's "Learning Java" covers this topic with great detail.
on December 18, 2013
I studied Java programming as part of my third level college course and I really enjoyed it and was quite good at it too so when the course finished I didn't want to lose my Java skills, I wanted to expand them, so I went looking for a book to help me do that and I bought this. Right now I'm still reading through it and the parts I already know I just skim over, but I have to say, the book is very well structured and laid out. A non-programmer could pick this up and start learning Java programming. The book starts out simple enough and takes each Java command in turn, explaining the command and offering sample code so you can see the command in action. I would have loved to have worked form this book on the course.

Later on the book will venture into graphics and networking, areas I did not study on the course and am interested in studying myself from this book. Given how well structured the book is, I am optimistic of the quality of the subject matter when I get to it.

If you are a complete beginner or a novice who has some knowledge of Java and want to build on it, or even a professional Java programmer and just want a good reference manual to have at hand, I highly recommend this book!!
on March 10, 2014
I've found this to be a decent reference. It could stand to improve the use of examples to illustrate points in the text. When searching through the Kindle edition for a subject there is no way to quickly get the context of where you are in the book. The Table of Contents is ridiculously impotent:

Part I The Java Language (thanks, I figured that much out before I bought the book)
Part II The Java Library (see above comment)
Part III Software Development Using Java (we're moving towards a description that might be helpful)
Part IV Applying Java (this would be a good example of what vague means)

I would expect this much from a self-published book, but a book describing itself as a "Complete Reference" might need to take some cues from superior reference books and implement the tools like a Table of Contents that would allow for quicker assimilation of information relevant to the reader.
on December 8, 2013
Herbert Schildt is the best programming author out there in my opinion. I have been buying his "complete reference" books for over 20 years. Herbert's writing style has high information density and his method of explaining things really clicks with me. His programming examples are the best I have ever seen. They are only as long as they need to be illustrate the point. There is no irrelevant code to wade through. The complete reference is a tall order but he has covered every topic I have needed to reference so far. If I could only own one java programming book this would be it.
on March 29, 2014
The book is complete in information. Can't argue that. It does lack depth into certain topics such as JTables, Swing and all of that content. The information in this book is also available online I believe for free, but it helps to be able to write all over the book. Don't regret buying it but I still needed outside resources to accomplish my goals.

If I could go back to purchasing this book, I think I would've bought something more concentrated in a topic of java.
on March 23, 2013
This book is well organized, well written, and thoroughly describes the Java Language with clear descriptions and many examples. Part I (~350 pages) describes the Java language, Part II (~550 pages) describes the Java Library, Part III (~85 pages) describes Software Development using the Java Beans IDE, and Part IV (~60 pages) develops two applications from start to finish, one developing financial applets and servlets, and the other developing a download manager for the Internet. There is also a six page Appendix describing the use of documentation comments (/** comments) with 19 embedded commands. I expect to use this book as a primary reference for years.
on January 23, 2013
I got this book as a textbook for an Intro to Java class. I use Java at work, so I was hoping that the book wouldn't leave me bored. I was pleasantly surprised by how readable and informative this book is. It explains everything from that ground up, providing insight into how things work on the back end which I hadn't come across from tinkering with Java. This book is great for someone just learning Java, and also as a reference book as many methods are discussed in detail. I plan to keep it at work to refer to as needed.
on February 19, 2013
The book is good for people that have a good background in programming but does not know much about Java. This book claims to serve as a reference book, but I don't think so. It's not so good to find what you want if you are searching for something specific and lack depth in most of the topics. I see this book as a version of the official tutorial (found on oracle website) with more explaining.
on March 6, 2013
This is the best book of Java I have ever read....
You can use it as a reference for specific how-to's and as a guide for advanced Java concepts like Generics and Multithreading... it is a big book and covers every single detail of the specific language.....
I would like although for this book to have a more detailed coverage on JSP and servlets....
Anyway this book is considered an excellent buy......