Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on January 14, 2002
There are many good features to this book. The reference material is excellent and if you know some programming, the book is reasonably well-written. The author has taken great effort to indicate what will work on various browsers and operating systems (but I cannot verify if this advice is always correct).
This said, the book was very frustrating to use, especially if you are in a hurry to make a few reasonably simple web page modifications and are not interested in taking a JavaScripting course. I will not list everything, but the next two items were particularly vexing to me:
1. References were made in the text to the CD but the referenced material was sometimes not present.
2. Worse, some of the most important "applied" chapters -- all referenced in the text -- were not present. So, if you want to read in more detail about how to use JavaScript to check data on forms prior to submission to a server you need to go to Ch. XX. But guess what -- Ch XX is only found in the Gold Edition (there appears to be no way to get just the Chapters missing in JavaScript Bible 4th Ed). So, your copy, while not worthless, may not be what you wanted and you may need to repurchase what is essentially a hardbound version of the same book to get the missing examples.
My advice -- don't touch this one unless you buy the "Gold Edition" and even then, only if you want what is more a reference and teaching book then a practical guide.
on November 29, 1999
Although I have to wonder if one has to be well-versed in object-oriented programming to get a friendly headstart on this book, it is otherwise an excellent book!
I like books with terse chapters, providing me bite-sized chunks as well as a yardstick to go by on a daily basis, i.e., I set myself to read one chapter per day -- this way, my brain doesn't get overburdened, and the subject matter retention is much greater.
Danny Goodman explained concepts rather clearly, and I salute his coherence and logical presentation. He starts off with a very light tutorial (excellent for beginners!) that strengthens your foundation for the advanced material to come.
It is a marvel to find a book that can serve as a reference as well as a masterfully executed series of tutorials.
I just wish all books I have bought were like this!
on July 11, 2003
As a non-programmer (graphic designer), I am finding this book helpful. The author does a good job not assuming too much except familiarity with html. He uses real-life comparisons to make concepts understandable. The writing style is friendly and very thorough. I was struggling to learn Javascript from Paul Wilton's Beginning Javascript. This book is making things clear that I was stumped on by approaching it very methodically, building on the simplest examples. I have also ordered 'Official Netscape Javascript 1.2 Book' by Kent which I heard was beginner-friendly. I find programmers have a hard time relating to us non-programmers! Goodman seems to have a grasp of how to present these basics to the 'rest of us'.
on December 13, 1999
I was overwhelmed by the selection of books on JavaScript, each 1,000+ pages and supposedly "the complete. . ." "the comprehensive. . .", etc. I looked at the various choices in bookstores, and eventually threw in my lot with Goodman's "Bible". I didn't regret it. Not only is the book great for learning JavaScript step by step, but it's well organized enough to use purely as a reference once you have a handle on the language. There may be more complete manuals, but I'm convinced that this is the best compromise between tutorial and reference. At this point, however, the time is definitely ripe for a 4th edition.
on September 26, 2000
With a couple of hours of HTML, this book (ed 3) is immediately useful. I have now been using it for about a year which speaks for itself. It is good as an HTML supplement too. I liked the examples many of which helped my real world 'on the job' needs. eg. field edits. Compatability notes for each command were useful as were the work arounds for older IE and Netscape browsers. Also introduced me to Javascript debugger - a very useful tool. Good index. Down Side? A little out of date now. I needed other sources for Style Sheets (HTML) and Layers and the IE equivalent. This is still the best book I have on Javascript.
on August 24, 1999
This book is much more than just a Javascript language reference. It covers dynamic HTML and the document object model in-depth and much better than any dynamic HTML books I own. The author explains things very clearly with great examples - he actually explains the code rather than just including it for you to wade through. I could sit down and read the book like a novel. This book is indispensable, I use it constantly. Whenever I can't find an answer anywhere else, I always find it here. If I could own only one book for web development, this would be it.
on December 13, 2000
I think the title of the book (and of this review) says it all. Danny Goodman has scored a home run with this book. As a JavaScript developer, I am constantly refering to this book, and have never been disappointed.
I have to say though, that although it is very comprehensive, I often use it in conjunction with "JavaScript: The Definitive Guide" from O'Reilly.
"The JavaScript Bible" should give you all the help you will want, but if you get both of these books, you'll definitely have everything you need!
on May 31, 2001
Overall a very good book for beginners. If you are a web designer then it's better to get a thin book like javascript visually or something that gives you the code without explaining much. If you are more involved in web application programming, and need to understand javascript for custom programming, then this book is a perfect fit. Easy to read, good clear examples, and an overall good reference.
on June 29, 2003
The best JavaScript book on the market, now also covering IE5+, NN6 and W3C DOM browser topics are covered in detail.
There is a lot of content here, almost too much and it may even be hard to find. I think Goodman reached the point where splitting everything into two different books could make more sense. One nasty downside is that eight chapters are available only from the CD
on November 9, 2001
I'm a frustrated beginner at Javascript. This book is part of what frustrated me. It's not very clear, with not enough examples and not enough details all at the same time. Much later, after I put down this book in frustration, I picked up WROX press' "Beginning Javascript," which I find much easier to follow. If only I had started with that book instead of this one!