- Series: Visual (Software)
- Paperback: 304 pages
- Publisher: Visual (August 3, 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0764547305
- ISBN-13: 978-0764547300
- Product Dimensions: 8.1 x 0.9 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 19 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,286,688 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Publisher
"Apply It" and "Extra" sidebars highlighting useful tips
High-resolution screenshots demonstrating each task
Succinct explanations walking you through step-by-step
Two-page lessons breaking big topics into bite-sized modules
PLUS A BONUS CD-ROM with web development tools:
Dreamweaver and NetObjects Fusion trials
Homesite 4.5 for Windows evaluation version
HotDog Express demo
Ulead Web GIF Animator trial version
And many other useful apps.
Plus all code and examples from the text and a fully searchable e-version of the book
From the Back Cover
Read Less, Learn More(TM)
* Assigning values to variables
* Declaring a function
* Detecting mouse rollovers
* Creating object instances
* Resizing a window
* Concatenating strings
* Setting time and date values
* Using buttons to trigger events
* Working with frames
* Detecting a user's browser
Web development tools on CD-ROM!
* Dreamweaver and NetObjects Fusion trials, Homesite 4.5 for Windows evaluation version, and BBEdit demo
* HotDog Express demo, Ulead Web GIF Animator trial version, and may other useful apps
* Plus all code and examples from the text and a fully searchable e-version of the book
Extra Apply It
* "Apply It" and "Extra" sidebars highlight useful tips
* High-resolution screen shots demonstrate each task
* Succinct explanations walk you through step-by-step
* Two-page lessons break big topics into bite-size modules
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Top customer reviews
Really these Visual Read Less - Learn More books are A-1, very exceptional, super for beginners. The only problem is the fine print for the screen shots.
Comes with CD Rom.
The code is displayed using screens shots of the code in a notepad window on the author's computer. At times it was difficult getting the whole picture of the code across multiple screen shots. It was sometimes difficult reading and typing code from these screen shots as well. I had a lot of errors because I couldn't tell the difference between a single and double quote or between a comma and period. This was more of a problem with the lengthier scripts. Also, the order of the chapters wasn't very helpful either since many concepts were used in early chapters but not explained until a later chapter.
This book is definitely more of a reference than a book on actually teaching the fundamentals of the language. Though as a reference it has far fewer pages compared to a code bible or cookbook. It's probably better for someone who wants to cut and paste code or is already fairly fluent in another programming/scripting language.
This book provides basic scripts that you can build (or copy) and add to your web pages. The nice visual layout makes it easy to see and grasp the syntax, and understand how principles are being applied.
The script examples cover such fundamentals as adding timers, building arrays, responding to events, and retaining page history (e.g., scripting to go back to a page that had been previously loaded). These examples make great building blocks for continuing on later to build larger scripts.
As other reviewers have commented, this book is also useful as a quick 'look-up' for the casual user. I hesitate to give the book a 5, only because it may not be the best beginner book for other types of learning styles.
[Old review: I have just received this book in its first printing of the 2nd edition.
Unfortunately the publishers have let the author down badly.
This book would have rated 5 stars from me if it did not contain bad printing errors which cause most of example code in the diagrams to be invisible.
Hold off on this one until the next corrected printing.]
Most recent customer reviews
More seriously, I found the examples to be hard to follow because of overly-similar variable names and unnecessary...Read more