Customer Reviews: Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth Speaker, Diamond Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 DOTD Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

Color: Black Diamond|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on February 22, 2013
Tried multiple solutions, saw other reviews online with the same problem. Once you have hooked it up to a computer using the port, it doesn't understand the signals any more, evidently, and quits working. Great idea, if they'd get it to function properly.
on October 17, 2011
I purchased the blue model to keep at work/office. But it is so cute and sounds really good that I may just keep at home. Using with an iPhone 4 it communicated extremely well with it and in quite some distance. The top and bottom are of some rubbery material which is great for various surfaces and for limiting vibration.
on December 3, 2013
I shopped quite a bit for a good, portable speaker. I heard the Jambox at a friend's, and also listened to the Bose mini. I'm a musician so I'm picky about sound. The Jambox isn't very loud, nor is the bass very robust, but that's to be expected. My primary concern was balancing decent sound and portability. To get good bass, a device needs larger, heavier magnets, so the Bose is about 4oz heavier. I also don't want to carry another charger. I have to assume that Bose uses a dedicated charger because it needs more power for the larger magnets, but an extra charger is a big drawback. The Jambox is a decent compromise between between portability and sound, and charges using my phone charger.
on January 15, 2012
I lusted after this tiny bluetooth speaker from the very first promo video I saw for it just before its release, and was thrilled to receive it as a gift from my wife this Christmas.

There was a lot to be pleased about, starting with the very satisfying way the Jambox is packaged. You can tell that someone at Jawbone has been paying attention to the way they do things down in Cupertino, because the attention to detail in the packaging is obvious, and makes you feel good about owning the product. In the box are two USB cables (one short one and one longer one), a stereo mini cable (for connecting to anything that has a headphone jack), and an A/C adapter. There's also a neoprene protective sleeve with two magnetic flaps that cover the sides, so you can feel good about tossing the Jambox in your bag and taking it on the go. The Jambox has an impressive heft to it, and feels very sturdy in your hand. The top and bottom have a rubbery surface, while the sides, front and back are covered with a metallic grille.

And then there's the sound. I don't usually talk like this, but I was actually *delighted* when I turned the thing on the first time. In fact, when I show it off to anyone, that's the first thing I make them do, because flicking on the power switch produces a slick little startup chime and a deeply satisfying bass-heavy rumble in your hand that lets you know that this thing means business. I'm no hardcore audiophile, but put simply, the thing sounds impressive. Sitting on a surface, the sound is rich, full, and bass-heavy (which is great for me, because I like hip-hop). Realistically speaking, you're not going to fill a huge room with sound, or provide the soundtrack to a party with one of these things, but if you're looking to do better than the speakers that your phone or tablet produces, it does that in spades.

There's also a Live Audio mode (activated by holding down the + and - buttons on the top of the Jambox simultaneously) that does a simulated surround sound. I think it works better with music that has been recorded specifically for 3D surround; I don't know if I have any such music, but I don't really use this mode, mainly because it significantly reduces the maximum volume.

I haven't used it much as a speakerphone, but then I hardly make phone calls to begin with. I've read elsewhere that the microphone is situated in the front of the device, so with the Jambox positioned in the center of a table, those facing the back of the device might not be heard as well, but I've yet to experience that for myself.

The Jambox gives you voice feedback for different status updates - when turned on, when switching on Live Audio mode, and to let you know the status of the battery ("battery is about three-quarters full", for example). Connecting the Jambox to your computer via USB charges the device, but also allows you to tweak advanced settings via the MyTalk website (such as allowing the thing to connect to two Bluetooth devices at once), as well as download firmware updates and different voice packs and apps for the Jambox (I'm currently using the Hero voice on mine).

One negative that I've experienced is that sometimes either my iPhone or iPad will have difficulty re-connecting to the Jambox after turning Bluetooth back on, and I'll have to re-pair the devices from scratch. It doesn't happen consistently, but when it does it's a minor annoyance.

The other negative is the price. It's a little expensive for a wireless speaker system and I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there; that being said, if I hadn't received this as a gift, it's definitely a purchase I'd feel good about making.
on August 3, 2011
Use this thing at a party and you'll turn heads. People always try to figure out where the sound is coming from and when you point to this tiny little box, with no connection to the wall, or the phone you're controlling it from - their minds are blown!

Also great for watching movies on your laptop, when you need that extra sound oomph to make the experience enjoyable.
on December 1, 2012
I saw this advertised on TV and thought it looked interesting. Two days later I bought one for $129. I have a ihome sound dock, the one with the deep speakers and lucite backing that looks really nice; I also have a small, flat JBL. The ihome is by far the most powerful and creates a room full of sound. The JBL is handy as it's quite sturdy, easy to pack and takes batteries. I got the jawbone as I wanted something with bluetooth connectivity.
The sound is slightly better than the JBL, nothing like the ihome, but the ihome is huge and isn't portable.
I am unfamiliar with blue tooth applications, and found the pairing process to be painless and quite easy. I've paired with multiple phones, a Mac, and an ipad with no trouble at all. The sound isn't mind blowing, but with 10 hours of battery life, no moving parts, and a compact size and shape, it is very portable. It is't going to give a Bose sounddock and competition, but also takes up less room than a shoe in a suitcase. I'm pleased with the purchase, I suspect in part because I only pa $129 for it.
on December 24, 2014
The soundbox puts out decent bass but the highest volume is quite low. I have tried it on three devices and the volume is the same. I have a $50 HMDX Jam classic that is about twice as loud. I had to send one Jawbone back, which was defective. I wonder if the refurbished ones are as good as the new ones. Anyone know?
on September 16, 2013
My husband and my nephew love their Jawbone JAMBOXes! We take them to parties or sit on the patio and listen to Pandora and/or our collection of music on our iPods and iPhones!!! What a great gift!!! It comes with a charger; so, you charge it overnight. You'll get eight hours of playtime with it! They're easy to use...just link it up to your Bluetooth and you're on your way.
on April 16, 2014
I have a Bose bluetooth portable speaker that I paid considerably more for and is considerably larger and heavier. This little unit is just as good as the larger Bose, and much more portable. Lasts a long time on a charge and is very easy to pair your device with it. The only drawback in my opinion is the poorly constructed "leather" case that comes along with it. The case is ill fitting and doesn't fully close. I've exchanged the unit to get a different case and had the same issue. If there were a hard case alternative for traveling it would be perfect. Great for traveling - as a business traveler this is much easier to take along with for music in my hotel room, or at work. All in all I highly recommend this item!
on January 7, 2013
Jawbone produces some fine tech. Speakers that you can upgrade! Who would have thunk it? Next you're going to tell me that they have BT headsets you can program.

Oh, the sound is amazing too. What an amazing spread from such a small source!