- File Size: 39175 KB
- Print Length: 306 pages
- Publisher: Sher Music; 1 edition (January 12, 2011)
- Publication Date: January 12, 2011
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00B28XKGU
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#695,890 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #206 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Music > Musical Genres > Jazz
- #268 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Music > Instruments & Performers > Piano
- #272 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Techniques
|Digital List Price:||$27.00|
|Print List Price:||$37.00|
Save $15.41 (42%)
The Jazz Piano Book Kindle Edition
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
It's highly recommended for aspiring jazz students. I often refer to it from time to time.
Although it is primarily for pianists, the melodic examples apply to all instruments.
As a guitarist, I benefited greatly from Ted Green's books; even more from personal lessons with him. Ted's works are wonderful, but are mostly "instrument specific" books. This book is really about "harmony" ( the useful part of "music theory") so it applies to ALL instruments. Even if you are a guitarist, or play any monophonic instrument, you will get MANY ideas from this book.
Mark Levine ( the author) is obviously a person of experience and this work demonstrates his practical understanding of music theory as it is really used by professional musicians. He provides many examples from Jazz-Standards that illustrate each idea. He wastes no time justifying statements or elaborating esoteric BS. Every page uncovers a world of practice possibilities, yet, the organization of the book's chapters makes progress seem smooth; almost effortless.
You must be able to read music ( at least a little ) to get the most from this volume. However, even some of my students who do not read at all have benefitted from reading it.
Practice is the key. Knowledge is nothing without practice. If for no other reason than Mark's practical advice on HOW to practice, this book is worth the money.
I recently purchased another copy of this book for a student who had to quit taking lessons because she had a baby. The service I got from Amazon was fast. The book arrived in perfect condition.
After re-reading the book, I am almost shocked at how much of my theory-teaching style is borrowed from this book. Even after twenty years of using the information here, I still get something useful every time I open it.
This is a truly GREAT work on the subject. This will be the fifth copy I have purchased and gifted to others. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
a classic for good reason
the difference in my playing before and after the book, with dedicated practice, is awesome. I sound much more mature
Most recent customer reviews
If you are a relatively accomplished pianist with an understanding of...Read more
it is very informative. I am looking forward to learning more. So far it is a very good book.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Music > Instruments > Piano
- Books > Arts & Photography > Music > Musical Genres > Jazz
- Books > Arts & Photography > Music > Songbooks > Jazz
- Books > Arts & Photography > Music > Songbooks > Piano
- Books > Arts & Photography > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Techniques
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Music > Instruments & Performers > Piano
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Music > Musical Genres > Jazz
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Music > Songbooks
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Techniques