Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 202 reviews
on December 4, 2013
This was my entrance to the awesome world of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. It hooked me right away and I've been a fan ever since. As I've gotten older however I thought I'd reread hese on my Kindle...after re-reading the Thrawn trilogy...I was ready to experience this with "fresh" eyes again...however while the trilogy is sound I'm seeing where Anderson falls short as a writer. This book especially suffered I think from Kevin or the publisher not knowing how to flesh out the first entry. The bit with Han on Kessel makes little sense and you find yourself not invested in that. ,earn while we have Luke taking meetings with candidates and Lando chasing a com artist and Leia consistently putting her head in the sand and saying how Han is irresponsible. It was obviously a device to enable Han to escape a prison no one ever escaped from and then go into a black hole cluster to discover Daala. If Leia had been true to form...grown concerned with Han's not contacting her...then sent at least a diplomatic force to see what happened...we'd not have had the escape but there may have been another way. The fact Leia was neither reactionary nor proactive took me out of the story and made her a different character than portrayed elsewhere. Is gets fixed in later installments...but this is by far the weakest of the Jedi Academy trilogy.
on September 24, 2012
While not a great book, this first installment of the Jedi Academy Trilogy was a fun read. The story mainly focuses on Han Solo's diplomatic mission to Kessel (which quickly goes awry), Luke Skywalker's search for potential Jedi students, and Leia Solo's balancing act between her roles as a New Republic official and the mother of the Jedi twins Jacen and Jaina. Other well know characters, such as Mon Mothma, Lando Calrissian, and Wedge Antilles, also make their appearances in this book. Sadly Mara Jade and Talon Karrde from the Thrawn trilogy do not come into play; but a new Imperial villain is introduced, as well as a few other slightly less important (but still entertaining) side characters.

The story itself is rather interesting, particularly Han and Chewie's predicament on Kessel, and fans who want to continue the story of Star Wars past "Return of the Jedi" and Timothy Zahn's "Last Command" should enjoy this. However the book suffers from several flaws. First, the writing itself is somewhat lackluster. Anderson's descriptions of the Star Wars universe are filled with metaphors and similes that don't always quite fit, and he is seldom able conjure up a meaningful image of whatever he is describing. He also seems to be stuck on using the word "metallic" in his descriptions (everything looks metallic, feels metallic, smells metallic, tastes metallic, etc.). While his recreation of the stock characters is faithful, it is also somewhat bland. Han Solo seemed to be the only character with any real life, but even that only comes from his sarcastic banter with the characters on Kessel. You could tell that Anderson wanted to explore different parts of the character's lives (such as Leia's new role as a mother and Luke making the transition from student to teacher), but this was done more through internal exposition and "naval gazing" than real character development. Sometimes these "character moments" were stuck into the middle of a dialogue or action scene, and really disrupted the pacing. So the characters came off as rather stale and monotone.

While reading this, I also felt that Anderson constantly had to remind his readers that this was a Star Wars book. Almost every other page had some reference to previous events in the films or the books/comics. While some of these references were necessary to establish the background for new readers, the information was then repeated at some other point later in the story, and then again, and then again! At several points I found myself saying "Yes, you told me about the relationship between these characters already, I get it. Let's move on!" I didn't mind the referrences themselves, but there was no need to repeat them so many times. Also there were times when the descriptions became obvious attempts to remind the reader that this is a Star Wars book. For instance, Luke Skywalker doesn't wear a robe. He wears a "Jedi robe"; and every time Anderson refers to it, he has to call it a "Jedi robe", whether it fits with the narrative flow or not. Yes, thank you, I know Luke Skywalker is a Jedi Master. You don't need to remind me every time he appears in the narrative. It just seemed that Anderson tried to hard to make this a Star Wars book to the point that the writing and plot suffered. As if the readers somehow missed the big Star Wars logo on the cover/title page. Oh, and don't even get me started on the blob races on Umgal! I don't ever want to hear another complaint about the pod race in Phantom Menace again!

One more thing that I want to point out is the introduction of the twins, Jacen and Jaina. This is the first time that Leia is actually able to spend time with her two children, and there have been a lot of allusions to the fact that these two have great potential to be Jedi Knights. They would later play very important roles in the Star Wars universe. And in this book, which should begin building the fans' relationship with these characters and help us to care about them... they are written like two whiny two year olds from a bad sitcom. Yes I know toddlers can be a handful, but there wasn't anything about either of these two kids that was endearing or showed any kind of personality. Real children cry, but they also learn, explore, interact, and show affection, all the while building character and personality (believe me, I have a one year old daughter; there is personality and character at that age). This is all stuff that we SHOULD have seen but didn't. Instead we see Leia passing the kids off to C3P-0 so that she can go organize more political events, leading to Saturday-morning-Disney-channel-like capers for the twins and the prissy droid. I was so ready to smack Leia in the face and tell her "Take a leave of absence. The galaxy will still be there when you get back. Your kids won't!" If something had happened where Leia was actually able to spend time with her children and we could see the relationship develop, that would have been interesting. Instead, Anderson felt the need to continue putting Leia in the political arena and have her angst about not getting to spend time with her children, limiting her interaction with them to listening to them cry and then passing them off to C3P-0. What a waste.

All in all, this is a mediocre read, and fans will enjoy the progression of the story more than the experience of reading the book itself. A valiant effort, but also the result of trying too hard.
After seeing Kevin Anderson rescue the Callista trilogy from Barbara Hambly in his book Darksaber, I was ready to read Star Wars: The Jedi Academy: Jedi Search: Volume 1 of the Jedi Academy Trilogy: Book 1. And what a pleasure it was to read. I now place Kevin Anderson up there with my favorite Star Wars authors, Timothy Zahn, Steve Perry, and Troy Denning.

I loved "Jedi Search." I've been reading stories that take place after "Jedi Academy" and missed out on some of the references. This book (and I'm sure the rest of the trilogy) really filled me in. It introduces Kyp Durron, who is referenced so many times in future stories. I can see why, because he's a great character. Luke, Leia and Han all have interesting roles. We get to see the twins' reintroduction into Han and Leia's lives. What realism there is in the interactions of all the family members, including Luke's role as uncle and Leia's being mom. The kids really act as kids would. How cute!

I sense that Luke, with all he's been through, is still and maybe always will be a little naive -- always believing in the good in people. Although I haven't read the rest of the trilogy, there is foreboding, and I'm glad that Kevin Anderson has kept with the character, as I think that is how it should be for Luke.

I know there is great concern about the storyline with another weapon of mass destruction, but I much prefer that over metalmastiff and entechment. The rest of the story was wonderfully written. I finally get to see what the deal over the spice mines of Kessel was. What an interesting story we get from that. And the Maw. That pops up over and over again in other books and now I know why. Wow.

Of all the Star Wars authors, I think Kevin Anderson excels best at action sequences and battle scenes. Whereas my eyes normally glaze over and I file those sections under "battle scene" and move on, I can actually visualize every detail of what's happening in "Jedi Search" with ease. I don't think I've ever read scenes like those with such clarity. I was so fully immersed, it was real, I could feel everything. What a moving experience. If you like action sequences, there's plenty here that's done well.

If you are working your way through the Star Wars universe, this is a definite must read book. So much of it is referenced in other books. I didn't know how much I was missing until I read it. But read not just for "historical" content, read it because it is a genuinely good book.

MTFBWY
on August 2, 2017
This is a good read. I am interested to see how the New Jedi training unfolds and what happens with the hidden Imperial fleet.
on March 30, 2015
This fist book of the trilogy was a great read. Kevin Anderson had a lot to live up to for readers who were finished with the Timothy Zahn trilogy. This first book was exciting and a great read however, the two remaining books were not as good. I found that I was skipping whole pages because it was pointless information or content that was read earlier in the book. Mr. Anderson seemed to be filling space with the remaining books by writing the same details over and over again. This book I give five stars but book 2 I give 2 stars and book three I give 4 stars.
on November 24, 2014
Wow...I normally like Star Wars books but this was, well.....bad. I felt like I was reading a book made from a movie screenplay. Sort of like when I first read Splinter of the Minds Eye or the Star Wars novels back when they came out. It felt like it was written for a 4th grader. That's my take. Sorry for the negative review but I just couldn't get over the way it was written. It had so much potential, too. I felt the same about all three of this series. Couldn't wait to get through them because they were so bad.
on July 8, 2017
I would like to see more of the empire action in here. Maybe because of being the first part of the series is why it lacks of action. I guess the next book in the series would be a better parameter to measure the quality of the history.
on March 20, 2016
It was written OK and somewhat easy read however the book's primary plot is a Han Solo story and very little was about the title of the book "Jedi Search" besides a couple of minor characters sprinkled in. I will be avoiding the rest of the series.
on August 25, 2015
When I was a kid, there was nothing better than a good Star Wars book to read and I did read this series then. Flash forward to present day and I re-read the series, I realize how corny the whole Star Wars story is. But then it is fiction and not to be taken seriously. So as entertainment, it is good.
on November 21, 2015
It was a good book...don't feel like I wasted my time...but only gave it four stars cause they only found 3 apprentices and the whole book was more about a story rather then finding Jedi. 4 stars cause the name was misleading but good book none the less.