The Jeffersons - The Complete First Season
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Set in a high-rise apartment building in the heart of New York City, the show spun around George, a classic character portrait of vanity, arrogance, and petty prejudice. Balanced by the more level-headed but just as strong-willed Weezy, George's self-serving abrasiveness struck comic gold, particularly in the second season, when the show's style had been set but was still fresh. Episodes tackled subjects trivial (George and Tom wear the same tacky dinner jacket to a party) and trenchant (a country club invites George to join, but only so that a newspaper reporter will think the club is open to minorities). The black and white mix of the cast allowed for a sharply satirical take on race relations, which managed to have a genuine sense of hope while never glossing over the complexity of racial tension--and was consistently funny. In fact, it's striking how well the show's humor holds up; The Jeffersons turned a series of half-hour farces into a sly examination of marriage, race, class, and the battle of the sexes; it's sad that so few contemporary sitcoms have this kind of intelligence, courage, and sheer talent. --Bret Fetzer
Top Customer Reviews
This 2-disc set contains all thirteen episodes from the first season of this historic television comedy, which smashed stereotypes and ignored social conventions as it made audiences laugh.
In this collection, you'll be getting the following episodes:
1. "A Friend in Need"- The Jefferson's have moved to Manhattan's Upper East Side and George insists that Louise should hire a maid to take care of their new apartment.
2. "George's Family Tree"- A piece of primitive art given to the Jefferson's by Tom and Helen Willis, sparks an inter-family battle about the importance of ancestors. George, totally unimpressed by anyone's ancestry, goes through a quick reversal in attitude when he gets some exciting information about his own background.
3. "Louise Feels Useless"- Living a luxury life starts to drive Louise up the walls, but her solution to the problem creates an even greater problem.
4. "Lionel the Playboy"- Louise is extremely upset over Lionel's new playboy attitude, but George loves the idea of his son rubbing elbows with the rich until he learns he's thinking about leaving college.
5. "Mr. Piano Man"- George wants nothing to do with a tenant protest meeting, but when he learns his banker, and fellow-tenant, H.L.Read more ›
This show, another from the Norman Lear vehicle, had some firsts on television ... a rich affluent black family, a racially mixed couple to name a few. Isabel Sanford (a star on Broadway, now 85 years old) heads this lovely cast. Sherman Hemsley stars as the jive talking George Jeffersons, Mike Evans is the ever funny Lionel (who was only around for the first four seasons), Franklin Cover is Tom Willis (Helen's white husband) and of course, Roxie Roker (Lenny Kravitz' mom who is Helen Willis, Tom's wife, the most outrageous in this show) and last but not least, Zera Cully who is Momma Jefferson (George's mommy, only around for the first four seasons who died in 1978) who hates Louise with a passion.
This DVD is the complete First Season with thirteen episodes in all but take note - the "pilot" episode does not appear as it was a episode of "All in the Family" entitled, "the Jeffersons are moving on up", as a sixth season series opener. This was the "pilot" episode which Roxie Roker had a big afro, a treat for those who liked her and her son Lenny.
Otherwise, these thirteen episodes contained here are quite entertaining in its own right. Episodes like ....
"A Friend in Need", where George & Louise adapt to their posh digs by hiring a part time maid, which introduced us to Marla Gibbs, the no-nonsense Jeffersons' maid, Florence.
"Louise Feels Useless", as she has trouble adjusting to the good life but she takes a job at the rival cleaning store.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
need more shows like this one then I cancel my Netflix and Hulu PlusPublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Arrived in wonderful condition! Great seller. Lots of wonderful memories from my childhood when I watch this series. Thank youPublished 6 months ago by Mommybear