Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services DrWho DrWho DrWho  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 238 reviews
on August 25, 2007
I respect that the BBC does shorter seasons but I wanted more of "Jeckyll." Only 20 minutes in the Season Finale, I had to look to see if there was a DVD release and I couldn't have been more excited. It may only be 8 episodes but its 8 episodes of the best show that I've seen in YEARS!!

It's scary, dramtic, and humorous all within the 45 minutes that we are given. James Nesbitt quickly became one of my favorite actors. His ability to turn into Hyde and back again seemingly with little effort is awesome. He strikes me as a flawless actor and I can not wait to see more.
on February 4, 2013
I have no idea why this show devolved the way it did. The episodes got progressively weaker as the main interest - the lovable psychopath Hyde - did less and less. And the ultimate anticlimax? The most powerful creature on the planet, enraged and vengeful does... well... nothing really... could have had so much fun with this brilliant anti-hero but in the end we got nothing much but a lot of emotional drivel and the ubiquitous (yawn!!!) secret organization - why are script writers so enamored with this dreary idea? James Nesbitt was first rate and makes the show - if the first episode was extended to make a TV movie (and leave out the old crone, idiot 'goons' and secret organization) then we would have something excellent - but we would also have the original story I guess...
on March 31, 2017
Bizarre new twist on a popular old thriller. Would give anything for continued episodes.
on August 11, 2007
I just started watching the show Jekyll on BBC America and I have to say it's the greatest version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde I have EVER seen. It's so good I had to start watching more episodes from a British friend because I noticed there were some cuts made to the version that aired on BBC America. Hyde is like a hyper active and malicious child who enjoys tormenting things and though is capable of love doesn't admit to it or understand it. In a way his psychotic hyper activity reminds me of Drew Sarich's portrayal of Armand in the Lestat musical.

Hyde, at one point, saves Dr. Jackman's (Jekyll) children when one of them is put in a lion's cage in a zoo. He claims he only did it to kill a lion. Later when Hyde is ranting 'They're not my family they're HIS family' someone threatens Jackman's wife and Hyde asks 'Are you threatening my family?' and when the man says yes Hyde promptly slits his throat. You don't know if you should be repulsed or pity this child-like sadist.

Hyde has a warped sense of humour, listening to Disney show tunes and at one point singing The Lion Sleeps tonight after slaughtering a lion in a zoo. It's dark. It's funny. It's suspenseful.

Now, I don't usually like Jekyll and Hyde stories but this is the best version I have ever seen and James Nesbitt (Jackman and Hyde) does the best duel roles I have ever seen where you really almost think they really are two different men even though the physical changes are subtle compared to most Jekyll and Hyde transformations.

I love this. I'm hooked.
on August 25, 2007
Tour de force performance by James Nesbitt (Murphy's Law, Cold Feet) in the dual role as Tom Jackman/Mr. Hyde coupled with great twists courtesy of writer Steven Moffat make this one hell of a ride!
on December 4, 2007
There are very few television events that have come into my life with such ferocious energy and wicked humor as Steven Moffat's modern adaptation of "Jeckyll." James Nesbitt delivers what has to be a tour de force (a phrase I assure you I never use) with his Doctor Jackman good guy tormented by his Hyde id. The moments of tension and humor compound one upon another making each of the six episodes better than one before.

Frankly, almost from the beginning you are rooting for Mr. Hyde. Nesbit does the age old trick of basically just "acting" his transformation (a different wig and some black contacts seem to be the only prosthetics) and this is the magic of the show. He is screaming with power simply because he has no conscience to keep him check. In episode one, when Jackman is attacked by a kid named Billy and transforms into Hyde, we have a presentation of power unequaled in drama. Jackman (who pleaded into his recorder for minimum necessary force while being within an inch of death) is suddenly Hyde who gives Billy three chances to kill him before pronouncing "Let me be honest with you, I don't get a lot of pleasure out of killing children ... but I get enough!"

Hugely funny, hugely intelligent, and hugely entertaining; this is the kind of show you simply must watch once.
on September 16, 2016
Like Sherlock, this is a modern retelling of a classic story, as envisioned by Steven Moffat. And like Sherlock, the main character is portrayed by an actor who absolutely brings home the performance, with a host of memorable and well-acted supporting characters. My five star rating is unconditional.

I think the only reason more people don't know about it, is because it isn't free on Netflix/Amazon Prime anymore.

At a total runtime of about 5 hours, it's a great show to binge--and most people rewatch it multiple times.
on October 29, 2014
This is James Nesbitt at his best! This has always been an intriguing story for me since childhood. I have seen many versions of this character. This story is all about Dr. Jekyll. This story is smart, slick, and informative in the way many of the stories are not. It is not a traditional story, but it covers all the bases that has made this story appeal to readers since its inception. None of this could happen without the incredible job James Nesbitt does when he steps into this role. No make up, no special effects. He is different right before your eyes! What also makes this work is for the first time they include a wife and children. Gina Bellman is the actress who plays his wife, and is equally important to the success of this story. She steps into this role, and takes command. Intriguing and very believable in a way this story has never been done before or since. I bought it and have already watched it again.
VINE VOICEon August 12, 2007
Robert Louis Stevenson's classic story gets a make-over, but it isn't what you'd expect. Lot's of horror, lot's of humor, plenty of over the top performances by James Nesbitt, who totally sells the potentially tired premise. A great supporting cast with equally strong performances. The writing is superb as Hugo Award-winning Steven Moffat who penned some the scariest, best written stories of the new Doctor Who series (The Empty Child, Blink) reworks Stevenson's century-old concept.

Some mild spoilers follow...

Much of the exposition is given in later episodes through flashbacks and some hyper-race memory, but the series opens with Dr. Tom Jackman, having left his life and family behind in a desperate attempt to protect them from his "dark side" eventually dubbed Mr. Hyde.

Dr. Jackman has left is family and job. "Blackouts" lead him to hire a psychiatric nurse, played by Michelle Ryan (the new The Bionic Woman) to oversee his transformations and serving as a mediator between Hyde and Jackman. His wife, Claire played by Gina Bellman (from Coupling), has hired a private detective to find out what's going on with Tom, while he fears Hyde even learning about his family. The private detective Meera Syal (of The Kumars at No 42 a.k.a granny) accidentally reveals Tom's family to Hyde after an unscheduled change takes place. Hyde befriends Claire and the kids as "Uncle Billy." Upon his "return" Jackman learns that his family is at risk...other external forces are trying to draw Hyde out for their own covert agendas. While at the zoo with his sons along with shady family friend (played by James Lawson Star Wars' Wedge), Tom converses on his cellphone with his very awake alter-ego and literally enters the lion's den to save his son. A mystery woman, claiming to be his mother, reveals that Tom is a direct descendant of Dr Henry Jekyll, who had no heirs. Dr. Jackman flees, fighting his dark side as he may Hyde is still coming, as are the organization planning to catch him.

Claire eventually learns of Hyde, confronting him demanding her husband back. But there's lots more flashbacks, reveals and twists before she'll get anything of the kind. She may have to learn dark secrets and not only about Tom.

The language and mood of the series is dark and adult, but I'd recommend it, plenty of heart-pumping thriller pacing along with its grislier moments. Nesbitt's transformation into Hyde is subtle from an effects stand-point, but from an acting aspect it is rocking! Gina Bellman's performance is also stand-out good.

The series has many shockingly disturbing moments, even when Hyde isn't on screen (well Nesbitt is) like... A terrifying message in Jackman's own blood on a wall, "When you sleep, I will eat your children," the children locked asphyxiating in steel caskets or just about whenever Jackman's Family is alone with Hyde.

Ultimately, the truth about Jackman is revealed and it is not as unexpected as some of Hyde's actions throughout the climax of the show. Enough questions remain support a second series, hopefully with as much of the "surviving" original cast as possible.

Speaking of cast, I was shocked to see that Amazon failed to list the leading actor James Nesbitt on the DVD info, I mean I love Ewan McGreggor's Uncle Wedge, but props to the man playing two roles for Pete's sake!
on April 28, 2011
I really liked this series, especially the acting of James Nesbitt, and would have rated it much much higher. Why one star? Two words: "Forced Previews"

After paying for this DVD, having to sit through minute after minute of forced previews (no skipping, no fast forward, no top menu, no ability to do anything but let it play) is just ridiculous. This isn't a feature film, but an episodic TV series, so unless it is watched in a loooong continual multi-hour session, every time the DVD goes in or out of the player, it is time for an interminable BBC commercial for 'MI-5' and then a long trailer for "Flight of the Living Dead" - Really? BBC? Really? Come on, zombies on a plane? I'd almost rather poke my eyes out than watch crap like this. If George Romero were a zombie he'd be spinning in his undead grave.

If only Amazon had a way to let a prospective purchaser know that discs are loaded with forced previews and trailers we could stop buying them, and if people stopped buying them, studios would very quickly stop including them. I know this seems peevish, but it is my disc. I bought it, I should be able use it how I want to (as long as I don't rebroadcast it or exhibit it). Amazon doesn't print advertisements on pages of the books it sells, or it wouldnt sell too many books. It doesn't put commercials in its e-books or... Oh, wait, they've started to do that. Never mind, I give up.