Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 426 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 525 reviews
on December 6, 2012
I don't live anywhere near Jeni's shops, so I've never bought her ice cream and cannot comment on whether these recipes really taste like what she sells at her shop. Other reviewers seem to say it does, so if you already love her ice cream, you might be very pleased with the book. I, on the other hand, found these recipes disappointing.

I got the book about a year ago, and have been experimenting with the recipes ever since. I was excited to learn of a technique for making egg free ice cream with a super smooth texture that will stay smooth even after freezer storage for days. Many ice cream recipes call for eggs, and cooking the egg/cream/milk/sugar mixture it into a custard. These custard based ice creams do stay nice and smooth in the freezer for a long time, but I was interested in learning about Jeni's egg free technique, for when I have no eggs or for when I'll be serving it to someone who cannot eat eggs.

All the recipes use an interesting strategy for binding the water, which helps prevent ice crystals from forming (ice crystals give ice cream a gritty texture). The milk/cream is boiled for 4 minutes to denature the proteins, then a corn starch slurry is added and it's cooked for another minute to thicken it. Some corn syrup is used because it is high in glucose, which binds water better than table sugar. Finally, cream cheese is added (or evaporated milk, in the case of one of the chocolate recipes), for "body".

I've made many batches with this technique, usually experimenting with either vanilla or chocolate, since we eat a lot of that, but I tried about 10 different flavors in all. Flavor and texture are good (I mean how can you go wrong with cream and sugar), but I have to say that there is not a single flavor using Jeni's technique that I prefer over the same flavor made with a custard base, or over uncooked ice cream. Every flavor tastes a little like cheese cake and cooked milk, and it melts into a paste in the warmth of my mouth, leaving a pasty after-feel. Some people I served it to found the thick texture to be sumptuously pleasant, but some of us (myself included) find it pasty and unpleasant. And I do like cheese cake, but do not want all of my ice cream flavors to taste like cheese cake.

I tried many different things to try to improve the flavor and reduce the pastiness, but nothing really resulted in an improved final product. In the end I decided that Jeni had pretty much optimized the technique, which, again, makes some pretty good, but not out of this world ice cream. And if I'm going to spend a lot of time and calories, and dirty so many dishes in the process, I want the result to be outrageously delicious.

Here is a summary of what I tried, FYI:

1. Substituted tapioca starch for corn starch (Jeni says she uses tapioca starch in her shop) - no difference.

2. Substituted tapioca syrup for corn syrup (jeni uses the former in her shop) - no difference.

3. Reduced amount of corn/tapioca starch - pastiness reduced, but texture less smooth.

4. Reduced cream cheese - tasted less like cheese cake, but then the unpleasant cooked flavor of the milk/cream is more prominent. So I came to the conclusion that the most important role of the cream cheese was to mask the cooked flavor, not to give the ice cream "body", and these recipes really do need the cream cheese to make the final product taste good. (Oh, just remembered: Jeni's suggestion of using organic valley cream cheese is right on. I tried Philadelphia, and it doesn't mix in as well into the ice cream base: the final product has annoying little tiny lumps of cream cheese throughout it.) I highly recommend warming the cream cheese before mixing it with the base, but the way, as this helps reduce clumping.

5. Reduced cooking time to 3 minutes: tastes better, but then final product not as smooth. I found it interesting that Jeni says milk proteins bind water better than egg proteins do. That's right, but only if you boil the bejesus out of the milk, making it taste funny. You have to cook it that much to denature the proteins so they will bind the water. Eggs, on the other hand, produce a delicious flavor and velvety texture just by cooking the mixture to 170 degrees to form a custard. That doesn't destroy the fresh flavor of the milk and cream, and the final product stays just as smooth after days of freezer storage.

So that's about it. It does dirty a lot of dishes: the saucepan for the milk/cream, a bowl for the corn starch slurry, and a bowl for the cream cheese. The 3 stars are for the beauty and engaging nature of the book, the novel technique, and the interesting flavor combinations. But the upshot is that I won't use Jeni's recipes very often, as it is a time consuming method that dirties lots of dishes, and the ice cream is just good, not great. Flavor and texture are just not quite right.

I would suggest trying out one of her recipes available online to see if you like this type of ice cream, before buying the book. Really it's a question of taste. Obviously the positive reviews say that a lot of people like this ice cream. Maybe it depends on what you are used to. And maybe Jeni's ice cream, with its corn syrup and pasty cornstarch base, approximates supermarket brands better than other home made ice creams do, which I wouldn't know, since I haven't had supermarket ice cream in many years.
2828 comments| 355 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2016
This book is great, but I was concerned when I saw mention of errors in recipes. Since the ingredient ratio in ice cream recipes is critical for proper freezing, I looked high and low and located the errata list that has since been removed from the website. Hope this helps everyone enjoy their Jeni's Ice Cream at home experience more.

p. 10
Following “Cook” under bottom two photos, third sentence changed from “Turn off the heat and add the cornstarch slurry to the ice cream base in the pan” to “Turn off the heat and whisk in the cornstarch slurry.” Sentence added: “Return to a boil to slightly thicken.”

*** AND Jeni answers this question:

“Am I supposed to stir the milk mixture during the 4-minute boil, or am I to leave it to boil without stirring?”

ANSWER: Keep agitating/stirring the mixture while you incorporate. If you don't stir briskly, you will get a film on the bottom of the pan and the slurry may get clumpy.

If you just added the cornstarch without making a slurry, then it will form blobs as noted above.

Just take it off the heat, drizzle the slurry in while whisking, then return to heat (stirring) and bring to a boil. Let it roll for about one minute.

p. 11
First line under top row of photos, following “Chill”: “Incorporate the hot cream” changed to “Whisk the hot milk”

p. 17
First column, line 26: “dry it,” added after “wash the canister” (“immediately wash the canister, dry it, and stick it back into the freezer”)

p. 103
Following run-in head “Chill”: “Add the vanilla and whisk.” added after first sentence (“Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla and whisk. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc freezer bag and submerge the sealed bag in the ice bath.”)

p. 156
Ingredients list: “¼ cup heavy cream” changed to “1¼ cups heavy cream”

p. 158
Ingredients list: “¼ cup heavy cream” changed to “1¼ cups heavy cream”

p. 197
Vanilla Bean Marshmallows, ingredients list: “½ cup cold water” changed to “1 cup cold water”; first step: “¼ cup of the water” changed to “½ cup of the water”; step two: “¼ cup water” changed to “½ cup water”

p. 200
Caramelized White Chocolate Bombe Shell, ingredients list: “1/3 cup refined coconut oil” changed to“½ cup refined coconut oil”

p. 201
Praline Sauce, ingredients list: “1 cup heavy cream” to be changed to “2 cups heavy cream”
on June 28, 2011
Since buying this book, I've tried four of Jeni's recipes: Goat Cheese and Roasted Cherries, Salty Caramel, Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream in the World, and Buckeye State. Perfect results with all of them! Just follow the recipe, and you really will get Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream at Home.

Before getting started, I'd recommend reading the first chapter of the book with Jeni's notes, tips, and explanation of the science behind making a great ice cream. As far as equipment goes, you'll need an electric ice cream machine (Jeni uses the Cuisinart Ice-20), whisk, 4-quart or larger pot, 2-3 mixing bowls, gallon size ziploc bags, ice cream storage container, parchment paper, and a big bowl for creating an ice bath. Other tools that comes in handy: a knife for chopping up larger ingredients, cherry pitter if you plan on making anything with cherries in it, digital kitchen scale, and double boiler for melting chocolate. You'll want an extra freezing canister if you plan on making more than one batch a day. For cooking the ice cream mixture, Jeni recommends a 4 quart pot, but I've been using a 6-quart stock pot and couldn't imagine anything smaller. When boiling your cream mixture, it could easily boil over, if your pot isn't big enough.

Basic Ice Cream Ingredients: you'll need heavy cream, whole milk, cornstarch or tapioca starch, sugar, salt, cream cheese, and light corn syrup/glucose syrup. Each recipe will also call for different additional ingredients like vanilla extract or beans, chocolate, natural peanut butter, spices, honey, nuts, liquor, etc. As with all cooking, the better the ingredients: the better the product. Buy organic ingredients and non-homogenized dairy products if you can, and splurge on the "good" chocolate...all this effort deserves the good chocolate!

Ice Cream Storage: I have tried three different storage methods. Reusable gladware/tupperware containers are ok, but I had a couple crack and shatter after freezing, leaving all the ice cream exposed to air. Specialty containers like the ones sold at designer kitchen supply stores are good, but I didn't want to spend $35 on a container, especially when I like to keep several flavors on hand. My favorite containers have been the disposable cardboard containers by Sweet Bliss. The Plain White Quart Size Frozen Dessert Containers fit one Jeni's recipe, or you can divide it between 2-3 Pint sized containers. Great for home storage and transporting (in an iced cooler).

It's been a blast to make all these great recipes, and I fully intend on cooking my way through this whole book! The recipes are well written and easy to follow. The photography is beautiful, and you get a good feel of what the finished ice cream is supposed to look like. Jeni lists her preferred suppliers if you want to use the exact same ingredients (I've found similar replacements at Whole Foods or the local farmers market).

One note: the "Salty Caramel" recipe has one small typo. The ingredient list calls for vanilla, but it's not listed in the recipe instructions. I added it at the end before mixing the cream mixture with the cream cheese mixture.

7/9/11 - One more note: there is another typo in The Milkiest Chocolate Ice Cream in the World recipe. It should read 1.25 cups of heavy cream instead of just 0.25 cups of heavy cream. I've heard that these typos will be fixed in the second edition which will be printing soon!
1010 comments| 284 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2011
It's a beautiful book to look at, and Jeni's recipes have really interesting flavor combinations that make you want to make her ice cream every week.

Here are the recipes I've made (will add more over time):

- Salty Caramel, which Jeni's describes as her biggest selling flavor, is extraordinarily thick, creamy and rich. Making the caramel with the dry sugar technique takes some close monitoring but isn't overly technical for cooking at home. The recipe didn't come close to making the quart it was supposed to, but the flavor is so rich the batch will last you awhile all the same. In my batch the sweet overpowered the salty, so if you're looking for the contrast, go a bit heavier on the salt than the recipe calls for.

- Toasted Rice with a Whiff of Coconut and Black Tea, is a really neat flavor. I recommend, when toasting the rice, don't go all the way to "the color of brown sugar" as Jeni instructs. This gave the rice a slight burnt taste in my batch, so go for a lighter brown. Also, make sure to taste the rice pudding as it cooks to get the al dente texture the recipe calls for. I went a bit past al dente to a softer rice texture, still good, but it could have been better. If you don't have a fine sieve to remove the tea from the cream mixture, pour it through cheese cloth, which worked great for me. The final ice cream is a very unique and delicious combination of flavor which is led by the black tea, and texture which is led by the rice. Don't expect a lot of coconut flavor if you go the full 10 minutes steeping the black tea. All-in-all unique and delicious.

- Savannah Buttermint is very rich with a satisfying, substantial mouth-feel. I found it overly sweet fresh out of the ice cream maker, but much more mellow and smooth the next morning after a night in the freezer. The only real trick in the cooking was melting the white chocolate. I used white chocolate chips instead of chopping up baking squares, and the chips were very slow to melt in a double-boiler (really a pot-in-a-pot) so I added heavy cream about a teaspoon at a time until the chocolate finally melted into a thick paste. The flavor profile of this ice cream - with 10 drops butter flavor to 4 drops peppermint oil - is much more buttery than minty. If you like a pronounced mint flavor I'd go 7 drops butter flavor and 5-6 drops peppermint oil. Also I think this flavor would be excellent a bit less sweet - you may want to go with 1/3 cup of sugar instead of 2/3.

- Roasted Strawberry and Buttermilk is extraordinarily thick and creamy. The buttermilk adds a finish of tang that adds a unique freshness and character to the deep strawberry flavor. I expected the strawberries to shrink and dry in "roasting", but there's not enough oven time for that. They stay plump. It's more like you're heating them through to bring out their natural flavor. I almost increased the roasted strawberry puree content from 1/2 cup, but stayed with the directions and was pleased with the final strawberry quality. This was also the recipe where I learned that when Jeni says use a 4 quart pot to boil the cream mixture, that's really important. I used a small saucepan and as soon as the mixture reached boiling it surged out of the pot and all over the stove. Definitely use a big pot to boil the cream mixture!

- Baked Apple Sorbet is very flavorful, like apple cider at the season's peak, or a spiced apple sauce. The recipe is interesting, essentially baked apples, cider, cinnamon and vanilla, pureed in a food processor and then strained for the juice which is spun the ice cream maker until it forms "soft peaks" like whipping cream. The cinnamon and vanilla bring a nice depth to the apples, and I found the overall balance of flavors right on target. I used and high quality vanilla extract syrup instead of a vanilla bean, which worked just fine.

- Bangkok Peanut is rich and delicious. Just a 1/2 cup of peanut butter really goes a long way delivering the peanut flavor, but it's the coconut milk and toasted coconut that really take this flavor to another level. My wife who doesn't like peanut butter ice cream really liked this one, and I think it's the complexity of the coconut that won her over. The only challenge with this ice cream is the toasted coconut clumps around the churner paddle, so isn't evenly dispersed evenly through the ice cream when the churn is done. It must be re-blended in by hand.

- Maple Ice Cream with salty buttered nuts is thick, rich and creamy. I think I've used this description for almost every ice cream I've reviewed here, so please forgive my redundancy, it's the most accurate description. Jeni recommends using Grade B or C maple syrup for this recipe ("they have a stronger maple flavor"). My supermarket only had Grade A so I selected the most premium Grade A on the shelf for this recipe. The result was a very strong, rich maple flavor. It's hard to imagine getting a stronger flavor with a Grade B or C, but it would be interesting to hear other peoples' results. The salty buttered nuts (I used pecans) are absolutely essential to this recipe, because the salt and crunch cuts right through the creamy sweet maple, adding a bright contrast that really wakes up the flavor.

- Sweet Potato with Torched Marshmallow has a good ice cream base, with the molasses adding pleasing maple notes, and the potatoes contributing a more pureed than creamy mouth-feel. The torched homemade marshmallows are the star here though, don't even think of leaving them out. Making them takes some time and care - boiling the sugar to a precise temperature, beating to a consistency like marshmallow fluff, spreading the fluff onto a baking sheet and cutting it into squares. I was lucky I didn't really know what I was getting into, but the final marshmallows were a big hit with my kids, and worth making even without the ice cream. Don't forget to torch the marshmallows with a kitchen torch before adding to the ice cream - it brings out a different and better flavor than the plain marshmallows. The consistency of my marshmallows ended up a bit more like nougat than your conventional soft gooey supermarket marshmallows. I don't know how it happened, but it tasted great all the same.
UPDATE - of all the flavors so far, this took the longest to use up. My wife and kids just weren't crazy about it. The kids were happier eating the extra marshmallows. I you make this one, my suggestion is make it for a big crowd who will eat most of it in one sitting.

- Black Coffee is rich and delicious for any coffee lover. It's very simply to make. You just steep ground coffer in the hot cream mixture for 5 minutes, then strain through a sieve. You need 1/4 cup coffee, which is a little less than 2 single-serve pods. I used Wolfgang Puck "Vienna Coffee House" which imparted a nice dark coffee flavor, but I guess a good thing about this recipe is your ability to use whichever ground coffee you like best.

- Banana Ice Cream with Caramelized White Chocolate Freckles is pleasantly lighter than most of the others so far. If you like banana desserts I think you'll love it. I used a full vanilla bean as the recipe calls for, which contribute great flavor, but I suspect 1/2 bean would be fine if you want to save the rest. Ripe bananas pureed work well to achieve a smooth base for freezing. The caramelized white chocolate freckles add a nice dulce de leche flavor. I used Nestle chips instead of chopped blocks, and grape seed oil because I couldn't find refined coconut oil at my local supermarket. I think any light neutral oil would work fine - you need function here, not flavor. Lastly I layered the caramelized chocolate into the container, which resulted in nice big chunks, instead of drizzling it into the mixer.

- Coriander Ice Cream with Raspberry Sauce - I ordered Jeni's complete essential oil kit from aftelier.com, so am set to make any of the recipes with essential oils. I like this flavor a lot. Coriander is smooth and with hints of vanilla as Jeni says, but quite different and hard to describe. I made both raspberry and blackberry sauce for this recipe. I ended up only needing one, so went with the blackberry, which was delicious and very necessary to complement the coriander ice cream. However these sauces are just berries and sugar, and I think any Smucker's jelly heated in a sauce pan would be just as effective and delicious. This ice cream was the most thick and creamy of any I've made so far. I'm not sure, but it might have been because I left the ice cream base out in my kitchen overnight because I started the recipe too late in the evening to run the ice cream maker. The recipe called for 3-5 drops of coriander oil. I split the difference with 4. This created a nice flavor, but subtle. I think the recipe could work well with 5 drops, for a more pronounced flavor.

- Brown Butter Almond Brittle is amazingly great. The brittle alone is delicious. I used Marcona almonds from Costco, which have an excellent fresh, crunchy saltiness, and crushed them a bit with a mortar and pestle. The ice cream is very easy, just Jeni's basic base, mixed with butter solids made from melting 3 stocks of butter, letting it settle and pouring off the clarified butter to leave the brown solids at the bottom of the pot. (I poured the clarified butter into a small jar, and put in the refrigerator for future use.) The brittle, in the butter thick ice cream, is immediately addictive - rich and smooth, with an immediate and satisfying Heath Bar-like crunch from the almond brittle, which I generously layered with the ice cream. You will have plenty of brittle left over for candy-snacking later.

- Roasted Pumpkin 5-Spice ice cream is reminiscent of the Sweet Potato (with Torched Marshmallow) ice cream, in that is has a more pureed than creamy mouth fell. This is of course because of the pumpkin, or in my case, the butternut squash. This is an easy ice cream to make, pureed roast pumpkin/squash blended into the cream cheese before incorporation with the cream base. 5-spice is an interesting, nice addition, lending a touch of anise for a more complex flavor profile than the pumpkin alone. This would be a great ice cream to serve at Thanksgiving.

- Ylang-Ylang with Clove and Honeycomb has a floral, perfumed taste. This may sound off-putting, but I encourage you to try it, it's delicious. This ice cream is super easy to make if you have the essential oils - just Jeni's ice cream with a few drops of the essential oils. More interesting is the honeycomb candy, which is basically sugar, corn syrup and honey heated to 296 degrees ("hard crack") and spread on parchment paper on a baking sheet to harden, then cracked into nickel-sized pieces. If you eat this candy straight from the baking tray it's so hard and clingy it will surely rip out your fillings if you try to bite it. Let it sit overnight in the ice cream however, and it takes on a delicious crunch, like an aerated toffee. All-in-all this flavor is well worth trying, especially if you've bought the essential oils. Did I mention it's thick and creamy? ; ) ps I still don't know exactly what ylang-ylang is.

- Lemon & Blueberry Frozen Yogurt is interesting to make. There's some prep involved. Namely you need to drain a quart of plain low-fat yogurt through cheesecloth in a strainer for 6-8 hours. I left mine overnight, tossing the drained liquid three times. It was surprising to see about a cup of liquid drain out of the yogurt. The blueberry sauce is easy to make. A cup and a half of blueberries (I used a bag of them from the freezer section of the supermarket) is brought to a boil with some sugar, then simmered over low heat until thickened. The strained yogurt is mixed into the lemon-flavored base, then chilled in the ice cream maker. Then the lemon yogurt and blueberry sauce are alternately layered into your container. I'm not a frozen yogurt fan. I made this because my daughter picked out, but it's pretty tasty. If you like lemon desserts, I have a hard time imagining you won't like this. The blueberry sauce is a critical element, its sweetener tempering the punchy lemon flavor of the yogurt.
55 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2016
I've tried intermittently to make ice cream and frozen yogurt at home, and more often than not it was a disappointment. I was resigned to just buying good gelato at the supermarket when it went on sale (since most "ice creams" from the market I don't like very much). I bought this cookbook because of a kindle deal on it. I thought it was weird at first, cream cheese in ice cream? Ack!! I haven't bought cream cheese in years, can't stand the stuff, too much saturated fat in it, etc. But have to say, you use very little in a quart of ice cream, and between that and the cornstarch that is what allows me to now make beautiful, smooth, creamy ice creams that I don't have to feel *too* guilty about eating. So far I've tried the lemon frozen yogurt with roasted cherries, the dark dark chocolate ice cream to which I added broken up "salted crack candy" (saltines with butter and chocolate), roasted strawberry and buttermilk ice cream (if you think strawberry is boring - try this one), cognac ice cream to which I added walnut pralines and dulce de leche...I have some of the goat cheese ice cream with cognac fig sauce ready to hit the ice cream maker in a few hours ... looking forward to trying nearly everything in this book.
on February 26, 2014
It seems that the majority of negative reviews scoff at this book, particularly in that Jeni's recipes use corn syrup and a starch, and no eggs, and that she boils the milk. I believe that the negative impression these critics have of the resulting ice cream is influenced by their expectations and their displeasure with the ingredients and processes.

I'm the cook for our family, and I serve everything from Velveeta mac 'n cheese to elaborate dishes from Thomas Keller and Michel Richard. The family doesn't know which ingredients and processes I use are considered lowbrow or sacrilegious and which aren't. They only know what they like.

In my experience, and without any exception that I can think of, adults and children dependably FLIP for the ice creams in Jeni's book. Of course some people are not going to want spicy or salty or bitter flavors in their ice creams, but there are plenty of recipes in the book that don't venture that far out. Yes, I cringe a bit every time I use corn syrup. But big deal. This is ice cream, not health food, and what counts in a dish like this is what people love. My own assessment of the ice cream aside, my family and their friends are my barometer.

Tradition is a myth. As opposed to what we think of as "old-world traditional" Italian cuisine today, for much of its history, Italian food involved not a single tomato, no garlic, no pasta, no basil. Used to be people considered it sacrilege to rely on oven "thermostats" instead of the traditional methods of gauging heat. The "ketchup" we know today is nothing at all like what it used to be (at one point, it was no tomatoes and mostly mushrooms).

Our perceptions of acceptable ingredients and techniques are dependent on our place in history, but only if we choose to be bound to that place.
on July 25, 2013
I bought this book a while ago when I was looking for a good egg-less ice cream technique. While I'm fond of the way eggs taste in ice cream (I'd never make a vanilla based flavor without them!), the rich custard taste they produce can easily overwhelm an ice cream flavor and crowd out the more subtle nuances of whatever else you're flavoring the ice cream with. Unfortunately, to my palette Jeni's alternative solution of using cream cheese to getting creamy, scoopable ice cream had similar problems. After making a few of her recipes, I found there was a noticeable cheesy tang that was distracting and made it hard for me to really appreciate the flavor of the ice cream. It's a flavor that probably pairs well with fruit based ice creams that have their own acidity or whose flavors are enhanced by acidity, but I didn't care for the way it worked in the flavors I made. I used her recommended brand of cream cheese too (Organic Valley), so I don't think the cheese I used is to blame. I tried just leaving it out but it threw off the texture and the base tasted a little overcooked.

Despite not caring for her ice cream base recipe, I do really enjoy this book. It's great for inspiration as she has recipes for so many unique and inventive flavors. I've tried adapting her ice cream flavors using another ice cream base recipe with pretty good success (I use a modified version of David Lebovitz's recipe for Philadelphia-style Vanilla, removing the vanilla when appropriate). Her sorbet recipes are delicious and creative too. Plus the book is just gorgeous. There's a ton of great photography to look at here, and the stories about the Columbus food scene has made me want to make the trek to Ohio!
on October 20, 2016
Five stars for Jeni and her wonderful recipes that give home made ice cream that ice cream parlor texture and for her unusual flavors. She deserves 500 stars for that.

HOWEVER, the person who designed the book is either an imbecile or hates people who cook. The ingredient lists are in low contrast, pastel colors that can barely be read against the shiny white paper. All the text is in a sans serif font, which is more difficult to read than a font with serifs. And much of the text is in grey instead of black, that also makes the text difficult to read. And tiny. Really tiny. Does the person who designed the book realize people who cook like to keep cookbooks a distance from what they are cooking to prevent damage to the pages? Such distance requires large, legible text that is easy to read instead of pale, thin colored letters that require one to hold a book with sticky hands and squint. Such a pity.

Kudos to Jeni for her fine work, but I hope the book designer gets fired for not understanding that the minimum requirement of book design is to make the text legible.
on August 22, 2014
I.LOVE.THIS.BOOK. I had tried a few of her recipes that I had seen posted online and they were delicious so I decided to purchase the book. I've only tried a few of the recipes so far but they have all been delicious. I'm particularly fond of the caramel one. Overall, I find her base recipe to be uber creamy without any of those icy-particles that sometimes occur in other recipes. The base recipe is also very adaptable and I've already been able to add elements and customize the flavors with great results. And it's much simpler than a custard-type recipe. These recipes fit in my standard size ice-cream maker (Cuisinart brand). I will say that if you're looking for your more basic recipes, this might not be the book for you as these very much taste more artisan to my taste. I think they're quite tasty and far superior to anything I buy at the grocery store, but they may not be to everyone's taste. I love making my ice cream with lactose free milk since I'm dairy sensitive and find that this makes ice cream much easier on my tummy than what I can buy. Honestly, I don't know why I would ever be tempted to buy ice cream again.
Enthusiast: Cookingon July 4, 2012
This is a cute book with a good selection of ice creams to try. The back story of the author is a nice little read. i would say 99 percent of ingredients listed can be found at the local grocery. Instructions are clear and comprehensive. I will say I agree with other reviewers regarding pouring the hot mixture into a plastic freezer bag. I thought this was a bad idea. So far I have tried the vanilla ice cream, which is wonderful. When it came to pouring the mix into the freezer bag this is what I did. I mixed the cream cheese and salt in my kitchen aid mixer, poured the mixture of ingredients that was on the stove into the kitchen aid mixer bowl and incorporated it with the cream cheese mixture, then i just sat my kitchen aid bowl in a big bowl of ice water. This seemed to work just fine. As stated earlier, the vanilla was fantastic. It did appear to make the amount stated in the book. Am trying the olive oil ice cream today so hopefully it will come out just as good as the vanilla. I do recommend this book if you are a fan of cookbooks, desserts especially.

ADDITION:
I've now made the olive oil and the cayenne city ice cream. While the olive oil was ok, i did not find it as creamy as i like ice cream to be and i probably would not make it again. They cayenne city is excellent, but i don't get the cayenne flavor using only 1/8 tsp as stated. i maybe would add a tad more next time. i used the same cooking method as described above (i.e., no freezer bag) and find that this still works quite well.