Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Travel Accessories Book House Cleaning biglittlelies biglittlelies biglittlelies  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 77 reviews
on August 23, 2011
This is a good unit for someone who wants to spend a lot of time manually recording cassettes. I bought it mainly for this purpose because I have a LOT of cassette tapes. My biggest issue with it was that it didnt have a rewind key for the cassette, nor a pause button. Two essentials (for me) for recording tapes. The one-touch (one-funtion) button for the cassette was just unacceptable for a unit of this price. My other issue was the lack of volume. I am NOT a person who likes to play my music at skull-splitting levels, but the maximum volume on this unit barely made it to comfortable,even for my modest taste, so those of you who like to break the music sound barrier wouldnt be happy with it. You also have to manually separate every track, unless you want all of your songs on one track. That means you cant start recording and go off and do other things until recording is finished. And the mode display was microscopic...literally. I had to use a magnifying glass to read the display, which was fully large enough to make the display info readable.
Other than these issues, it was a good unit, but I had to send it back because I just couldnt justify the price against its faults. Its fit, finish, and sound quality (minus the volume...no pun intended) were very good, and it is a quality unit otherwise.
33 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
I am very disappointed in this unit. Not only did CD Drive 1 (of the 2 CD drives) not work, I could not get anything to record (to CD Drive 2). I liked the fact the cabinet was wood, but that's about it. The totally manual record player was really a short-coming for a unit costing what this cost me. I have returned it for a refund as I do not want to try a replacement.
on August 15, 2011
The Jensen JTA-980 Stereo Turntable Music System has made for an attractive addition. The User Manual could be more specific and I initially stumbled to a halt. My problem was quickly rectified by kindly advice from Spectra Customer Service(Sylvia), who politely informed me of the corrective steps to acheiving success.
I've already tested the CD, phono' and cassette recording systems, finding them all, to give great reprodutive discs.
Thank-you Jensen, Amazon, Deepdiscount.com, Spectra and USPS for providing an excellent product and great service.
Gordon.
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2013
I needed this device in order to copy CD discs that were recently produced from tape recordings made during the 1950's in my parents home using a tape recorder from the first generation domestic tape recorders. I also have several casette tapes and vinyl records that I want to make easily acessible from a CD player. I did not want to use a computer since this takes more time and our computers are not connected to qualified loudspeakers and are located in small working rooms with bad acoustic properties.

My experience from the Jensen equipment is that most basic features work well. However, I am missing a balance control between the speakers and the base register is not very well reproduced. I would also like to have an equipment for lowering the pickup to the vinyl disc. This is a standard feature on most turntables. Then I find the manual difficult to understand. I have recorded an LP disc into a CD. I can only listen to this CD on the CD2 device but not on CD1 ! Other CD dics can be played on CD1.

Finally I think it is surprising that a device for only domestic US operation is sold to Europe. In order to use this device in Europe the customer has to buy separately a transformer from the European voltage (usually 220 Volts) to the US voltage. Thus the equipment is not complete but requires additional equipment.
on February 27, 2012
If you want a small stereo that does it all it does. It has a CD player, tuner, cassette player, and a turntable!!! You can burn CD's and plug in Mp3's and Ipods. However if you like your volume very loud this stereo only gets loud.
on December 23, 2012
The turn table didn't work and the speakers sound bad and the whole thing seemed cheap. We just were not happy with it.
on May 27, 2014
The first one I received was obviously a used and abused system. But I called and made a very nice rep aware of the situation and she was very professional and courteous and dedicated. She didn't hesitate after hearing my complaint to get a new unit shipped out to me. She told me the date the new system would arrive and it arrived the day she said it would. The new system was in apparent new condition and it does what it was advertised to do. I would like a bit more bottoms from the sound but that's about all I didn't really like about the player. I give it 4 stars.
on May 13, 2013
The item was offered at an attractive discount. The delivery arrived as promised. It's a nice looking shelf stereo system, but I expected it to be larger, more "substantial".
We mainly wanted it because it came with a turntable and we have many 45s old records and 33-1/2 vinyl albums. They do play well, but the record "adaptor" to fit the different size records is difficult to get out of the holder; there should be a notch for that. Also, the speed setting switch for the 45s vs. 33s is not clearly marked; you have to just move it and hope it is at the correct speed.
Finally, I think the Control Buttons should be better labeled, more distinctive.
The sound is ok for our liking.
on March 22, 2013
I bought this Radio/CD/Cassette unit to record my records to CDs, but use it now mostly to play CD's. I haven't used it very often to record records to CD's because it's not as straight-forward as I had expected it to be. Actually, I thought it was rather complex.

Using this unit to play CD's is acceptable, but unless I use it frequently I forget what buttons I must push and in what order to make the CD's play. Also, the dark buttons on the dark face are hard to see without a light shining on the front of the unit.

I hooked up my own speakers because the built-in speakers leave something to be desired.

In general, I would NOT recommend this unit to the casual user who wants to records to CD's, nor to simply play CD's as there surely are easier-to-use and better quality players on the market.
on February 5, 2015
I had trouble right from the start. CD tray number 1 would not open when it's supposed to and I never did get number 2 open. I asked about the watts per channel which should have been put in your description but I ordered anyway thinking it couldn't be less than 50. The owners manual had 20 watts which is unacceptable. Jensen used to be a good name for electronics but I see their labor and materials from China and it shows in their product. I didn't try the turntable or the cassette to many red flags.