Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 19, 2014
This thing is awesome. It's like the old record players most of us probably had in our bedrooms to listen to records. About the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to put a stack of records on and let them automatically drop, and the arm doesn't automatically reject and go back to rest on the home position. You can switch it to either keep going in the end-groove, or for it to stop once it gets there.
Sound: It's got two built in speakers that sound better than my old record player did in the 60's, OR you can use the line-out jacks on the back to hook up to external power amp and upgrade speakers like we did in the 70's. It's also got an Aux In jack so can plug in an iPod or phone, to utilize the speakers. And of course the main reason I bought this, is it's got the USB connection to be able to rip my old records to MP3. This thing is a LOT better than what I was anticipating for the money. If you're looking for the same quality sound and experience most of us listened to records on in the first place, this is it. If you're looking for a super high end turntable like the purists (people who wear gloves to handle records) this is not it.
33 comments| 755 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 7, 2013
There are lot of these small, cheap record players on the market but the Jensen JTA-230 is the only one with a pitch adjustment and tone control. It is quite a bit smaller than it looks in the photo -- an LP sticks out of the sides when playing because the disc is bigger than the player itself! The built-in speakers sound OK considering how tiny they are, but it doesn't get very loud, even when turned all the way up. It's loud enough for personal listening, but not for a party or dance lessons.

A 3 mil stylus for playing 78 RPM records is not included, but can be purchased separately (look for part number 793-D3). But the stylus is rather difficult to remove from the cartridge, so if you play them often, you might as well dedicate it to only playing 78s, and get a better turntable for your LPs and 45s, rather than swapping back and forth beween the regular and 3 mil styli.

The USB output, RCA line level output, and headphone jack all work fine, but sounds tinny and lacking in bass, so playing it through larger speakers really doesn't improve the sound quality that much compared to the small built-in speakers. Even if you try to boost the bass using an equalizer, it still won't sound hi-fi. So the JTA-230 is best used as a tiny, inexpensive, self-contained record player. It's a good beginner turntable for kids or for "crate digging" but won't be good enough to be your primary turntable for serious listening.
11 comment| 930 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 14, 2016
This was for my son and he likes it. Sound quality from it is so so, but would probably still buy it again. After all its a $50 turntable and if you want real good high fidelity quality your probably going to pay closer to $200 (so its definitely good enough for a teenager). Also, it has an input that allows him to play music from his phone through the turntable to the very old receiver its plugged into. So it had more functionality than we had expected.
on August 29, 2017
OK as a small portable player in a small room. Sound is very thin and a bit weak but about what you can expect for such an economically priced record player. Sent it back and bought a larger more expensive version. As with most things in this world, you only get what you pay for. Very well packaged though and came through safe and secure through the fast delivery process.
on June 19, 2015
This is a great little record player, however the only thing stopping me from giving it a full 5 stars is how quiet the speakers really are. I bought this as a gift for my fiancee since she loves listening to old music while doing things in the kitchen, and though this has just enough volume to hear over some running water, it's just not quite loud enough, even on max. Thankfully I have some external speakers to give the sound a little boost.
on March 27, 2017
I am not mad at this turntable, had it for about 4 months now and plays beautifully. Transfers easy to MP3 after a little bit of reading and downloading software to computer. Uses "Audacity", so if you already have it on your computer, it is even simpler to convert to MP3. The in-speakers are not that much to holler about, just plug in your awesome portable speaker using the AUX cord to get better sound.
on October 12, 2015
I purchased this record player for my 14 yo son who is just beginning to become interested in vinyl records. I didn't want to spend a lot since 14 yo's interests can change with the wind, and for the price this player seems to be pretty great. I was surprised at how good the sound was. I had several old albums that were so warped I didn't think they would even play but they sounded great. Tone and pitch adjustments are nice to have. Haven't tried transferring albums to MP3 yet but probably will. All in all I think this is a great little player for the money.
on November 10, 2016
Works great. Plays all the old 78s I inherited and the 33s I have. Haven't tried 45s on it yet. The volume is decent, but not great. Haven't tried plugging a different speaker in yet. I also love being able to adjust the speed to get the record to play just right.

Found the first version of White Christmas by Bing Crosby in my Great Gram's collection of Deca 78s. Awesome to be able to play it.
on April 25, 2017
This is by no means a 'Hi Fi'. It's a turntable with USB and some basic speakers. Works great and sounds 'good' but not great. It feels like they really cheaped out on the speakers. They lack low end of any sort and they don't get even as loud as my small bluetooth speaker. We will likely get some better, self-powered speakers and plug them into the headphone jack.
on September 20, 2014
I love this turntable. It was priced super reasonable and it works great. I almost passed on it because I read reviews about the built in speakers being tinny. I am convinced that those reviews are from people that never listened to records on turntables in the 70s. This thing is awesome. It is almost disappointing that it automatically eliminates a lot of the natural record/needle noise. The music coming out of the internal speakers is high quality, I can't imagine out of a Bose or even into a regular stereo. I'm a very satisfied owner of this product that is loving listening to his albums after 30 plus years. I purchased the turntable to convert all of my albums to digital and this is the ticket. The software that comes with it will let you do way more than I am even capable of understanding, but if you just want to convert your albums to digital or even just listen to them again, this is a no brainer.