Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Platform: Nintendo Wii|Change

on November 7, 2010
My husband and I are trivia buffs and like to play Jeopardy together, so needless to say we have been eagerly awaiting the release of the game for nearly a year. It has not disappointed! I am glad that THQ is who released it as they did a great job, and it is arguably the best video game version of Jeopardy yet to be released. First off, I should explain that I am playing it more for the trivia and actual game play aspect than the bells and whistles like customizable miis and earning cute little new outfits.

The game play is great. You can skip through the in-game videos. It DOES NOT have to be multiple choice, which I was worried about. If you play in medium or hard modes, you have to input your own answer. In medium mode, after you type in 3 letters the game predicts what answer you're looking for. In hard mode, it does so after you have typed 5 letters. There is also a custom mode which you allows you to choose the difficulty of the questions as well as whether you use multiple choice, or 3 to 5 letter "predictive text". They have done an amazing job with Alex...his mii character is great and they have used his actual voice for the questions. I had no problem getting my mii imported in and this game contains mini games which I thought I would hate, but they are actually fun. They are in between question sets and that is how you earn extra outfits and extra set changes. I have yet to use this with Wii Speak, so I cannot review that aspect of game play. I do know though that with Mii Speak you have to use the multiple choice option, which is why I haven't used it...I think multiple choice defeats the point of Jeopardy.

To buzz in, you hit the A button on the Wiimote. You are then led to a screen with the alphabet on the bottom. You click on either the first 3 or 5 letters in your answer, depending on your difficulty settings, and then in the top left portion of the screen 1 or more answers will pop up to choose from. You then click on the correct answer with the Wiimote and then hit the 2 button and Alex will either cheer or jeer. You are allotted plenty of time to select your answer and you do not have to phrase it in the form of a question.

I only have four minor complaints about this game:
1- Even though it isn't multiple choice on medium and hard modes, once you type a couple letters of an answer in it predicts the answer you are typing, which on certain categories (like "words containing brown")it can get cheap.
2- The Final Jeopardy question is multiple choice.
3- There are only 2400 questions in the game, which at 60 questions per game only allows 40 games to be played until you begin to receive repeating clues. There is no option for downloadable content.
4- There are a couple of programming glitches in the game. One time I got dinged for putting Martin Luther King Jr. as the answer for a question about who delivered the "I Have a Dream" speech. The game told me I should have only selected Martin Luther King. This game, at times, seems to have been programmed in a hurry and is not very willing to accept variations of an answer at times.

All in all this is a great game which I highly recommend! It is well done and I have a lot of fun playing it! I am hoping for a sequel produced by the same company.
55 comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2010
The game itself is fun if you like Jeopardy or trivia games in general. The audio is great. Someone in the other room would hardly be able to tell if you're playing the game or watching it on TV. As far as difficulty, the questions are pretty standard Jeopardy stuff, so if you find yourself only answering one or two questions while watching the show it may be a little too difficult for you. It's definitely not for children unless they just happen to know a LOT of trivia. There are also 3 different difficulty level settings for the questions, so there should be challenging questions for everyone (except Ken Jennings, or course!)

You can choose whether you answer the questions as multiple choice (3 choices) or type it in. Once you type the first few letters (3 or 5 depending on the setting) a list of words come up, so you don't have to type the entire response.

My biggest gripe about this game is the horrible implementation of the Wii Speak. I bought both the game and the Wii Speak thinking that I would be able to call out the answers just like the real show. What I didn't know (and the box doesn't tell you) is that if you're using Wii Speak with the game, it's multiple choice. It doesn't matter what difficulty level you set, it tells you that multiple choice is the only option if you're using the Wii Speak. This defeats the purpose of using the Wii Speak.

If you're not using the Wii speak, then you can type in the answers on Medium and Hard difficulty levels (no multiple choice) but when you're using the Wii Speak, it's always multiple choice. On top of that, you have to speak painfully slow and loud for the thing to understand what you're saying, and have absolutely no background noise or chatter. You usually have to repeat yourself several times before it understands you.

Overall, it's still fun to play. It's just frustrating to see how poorly the Wii Speak functionality was executed. If you like Jeopardy, it's definitely worth buying... just don't bother with the Wii Speak.
22 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2010
My girlfriend and I are huge Jeopardy! fans. We watch the show every day and are very competitive with each other. I bought this as a surprise for weekend visit and we were both very pleased with the game. I have played other versions of the game on the PC or online and this version blows them all out of the water. To answer questions about the nuts and bolts of the game, you buzz in with the Wiimote and answer in different ways depending on the difficulty level. On easy mode it is multiple choice; on medium you type the first 3 letters of your response in and it generates a list of possible choices to speed typing; on hard you must type the first 5 letters in to generate a list. There are also mini games in between rounds which unlocks prizes, such as clothing, logos, and concept art. I cannot comment on Wii speak since I don't have it.

Pros:
- Challenging questions
- Fun cartoon-style characters
- Unlockable prizes add a sense of accomplishment
- Easy to input responses
- Relatively cheap compared to other games (return on investment for time of enjoyment is high)

Cons:
- Limited question base (2400+ clues, 60 clues per game means you can only play about 40 games)
- Some minor technical bugs (photo and text mixups)
- One could cheat if they don't know a response by clever use of game mechanics, specifically from the auto-generated list

Conclusion:
If you like trivia games and Jeopardy! you should buy this. Enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully they come out with a second installment which fixes the minor complaints and adds even more clues.
on January 2, 2011
For such a simple, straight-forward concept, it's amazing how badly they screwed this one up.

Let's talk about the good: the questions and board layout, the heart of Jeopardy, are as they should be. But honestly, how could you mess that up?

Now the bad: where to begin? First, Wii Speak does not work on this game, at least not reliably - and really, it's too bad, as this should be a hallmark game for the device.

The buzzer system is really frustrating. Unlike real Jeopardy, where you have to wait until the question is asked to buzz in, you can basically start buzzing as soon as the question appears on the screen - but who is selected seems totally random. A red bar on the screen SEEMS to indicate when you're allowed to buzz in and how long you have, but in practice, it's irrelevant. Smart way to do this: actually enforce timed buzzing, and penalize those who chime in early.

Without Wii Speak, you're left to type in answers. OK, fine - and they've come up with a neat system, whereby once you've typed in 3 or 4 letters, a drop down appears with full clues to choose from. This saves the trouble of having to type the entire answer - but it also very clearly indicates when you're wrong if your answer does not appear in the list, giving you PLENTY of time to rethink your answer, and start typing around to get a drop down with the right answer.

Also, the answers are REALLY REALLY annoyingly inflexible. I was just playing, and the answer to a question was "co-author with Engels" - Marx. I type in Marx, and the drop down includes MARX and KARL MARX. Thinking they are interchangeable, I choose Marx - WRONG! Alex tells me "Sorry, the correct answer was Karl Marx." Huh??? Then, later, the answer to a Rivers question is Colorado River - so do I choose Colorado River or Colorado from the drop down? In this case, it turns out that COLORADO is just fine for the answer. Later on, in a CHOOSE THE CENTURY category, 12 is WRONG but 12TH is right, while 12TH CENTURY is wrong. Ugh.

On Easy mode, you can play with multiple choice answers, but again, this is pretty dumb, because once you've buzzed in, you've got plenty of time to work through the four answers (and probably guess right) while your fellow players wait in boredom. Frankly, they missed an awesome opportunity here to make an action-packed version of Jeopardy, wherein Alex asks the question, and then the four multiple choice answers are shown on the screen - and it's simply whoever chooses the correct one first. Sort of a Speed Chess version of Jeopardy.

Final Jeopardy is the dumbest thing of all - even if you're playing on medium mode, where you have to type in the questions, Final Jeopardy is just multiple choice. Lame.

Meanwhile, there's no mention of past wins. Seriously, how hard would it have been to have Alex say "And Player 3, our five day champion with a total of $35,000 in winnings." A much needed incentive to continued gameplay.

In between rounds, a series of mini-games are played where you can unlock various prizes. This is great when you're awarded a change of clothes for your character - but most of the prizes are lame concept art (literally, a picture of Alex's 3D character or the Jeopardy set) that you can't do anything with. Meanwhile, half the time, you win prizes that don't work for your gender. I just won a hoodie, but it's a girl's hoodie, so I can't use it on my Mii. Would it have been that hard to set it up so I'd win something I could use?

Finally, the video and segments are really glitchy. Sometimes the audience claps. Sometimes not. Lots of awkward dead silences and jarring cuts between video. The best is when you get a DAILY DOUBLE, and the audience is deathly silent, like it's a bad thing.

Will I play this game again? Sure, because underneath the crappy design, the Jeopardy questions are all I come for. Why two stars? Because it doesn't make me look forward to playing. A game like this should've been a no-brainer, and yet they somehow messed it all up, which seems unbelievable when you sit through the endless game credits.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2010
I was very excited to purchase Jeopardy! and WiiSpeak together yesterday, so that my friends and I could play without having to navigate the game board and answers with the wiimotes. The game itself is really fun, the clues are great and the mini-Alex Trebec is a nice touch. Plus, you get to use your Mii's and save the game scores!
My only complaint is, even if you have WiiSpeak hooked up, you are still shown 3 answer options (I was hoping we could do away with the display, to make it more like the actual game where you need to KNOW the answers and not just choose them from a short list.)
I haven't been able to option out of the answer display, but I'll hop online today and see if there's an input code I can use.
Other than that, it's a really fun game and great to play with your friends! WiiSpeak takes some getting used to, but it's very simple to set up and the game comes with a tutorial.
All in all, it's an easy 4 out of 5! If it weren't multiple-choice answer format, it'd definitely be a 5!
on March 2, 2011
I wish I was allowed to give this game a 3 1/2. It truly is tons of fun to play with a group of people. We played 3 teams of 2 players for a handful of hours and had a blast. There is one glaring problem though...they only put 2400 questions in the game.

I just don't understand this at all. Previous versions of Jeopardy games (PS1, PS2) had 3500, 4200, and 5200 questions respectfully. I owned all three of those games, and yes, we did have our fair share of repeats over time; so of course a game with 2400 questions will have repeats much more frequently. I'm not holding my breath on a free DLC pack of questions, so I assume the number 2400 will never change.

It just takes the fun out of the game when, after two hours of play, you get an entire category repeated. Everyone in the room mentally paused when it first happened, before someone decided to ring in. It then just becomes a test of ring in speed, not knowledge.

Anyway, the game is a lot of fun to play...just beware of repeat questions, because it will happen rather frequently. In my opinion, it can really ruin the experience.
on November 13, 2010
I just bought this game, and it is definitely a lot of fun. I heard rumors that the game was just multiple choice. However, this is not entirely true. At the screen where you choose game difficulty, you can choose Easy, Medium, Hard, or Custom. Choosing custom will allow you to choose how to respond to clues (Multiple Choice or typing by 3 or 5 letter auto complete)as well as Wii Speak. There may be not so many clues put in, but it's definitely a good buy with the real Alex Trebek voice for his Mii, along with the ability to use your Mii.
on July 22, 2014
This is a really fun game and I wish I could give it 5 stars. However there are a few problems with the game play.

First the categories start to repeat pretty quickly resulting in a game of button mashing and memorization. Second there is a bug. When playing two player whoever is player one wins a tie 90% of the time, when both players press the button to answer (or button mash). Since my wife and I have significant overlap of knowledge, this give a nearly insurmountable advantage to player 1. Third it is a pain to enter the answers by hand on the medium and hard difficulty levels, but the questions are often too easy on easy mode. I wish there was a better way to enter answers on the more difficult modes.

Overall it is a pretty fun game but we have stopped playing it after only owning it a short while. I feel like this was a real missed opportunity, it could have been a great game.
on April 20, 2014
The questions were good for a wanna-be like me. I didn't like that I had to use the Wii remote to click on the letters of the answer, which were not in QWERTY format. However, once you clicked in some letters, an auto-complete menu appears and you can select your answer. Depending on the difficulty level you select, you have to enter more letters before the drop-down appears. So that's good. There are a few features I couldn't get to work, like voice activation and multiple-choice (always grayed out on the selection menu). After playing it for about a month, I have just started getting repeat questions... not just single questions but the entire BOARD is repeated. I am still getting some new ones, but you never know if you're going to get a repeat one. There are definitely a lot of questions; I just wish there were more, and a better answer (question!) entry method. Alex's voice is amazing, though, and all-in-all it's like the TV show. :)
on June 6, 2013
This is a good game if you like question and answer games. It is for one to three players and you can choose the answers from multiple choice. I would have preferred to give the question to the answers as in the old Jeopardy game on the original Nintendo console. The multiple choice is probably better for a lot of people though. This is far too hard for younger kids, but since it is multiple choice, they can still play it and guess, although their interest would probably fade fast. I like it a lot and it is very much like the TV show, except it is multiple choice.