Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Jeremy R. Likness
Microsoft Silverlight MVP and Wintellect Consultant Jeremy Likness gives you all the hands-on guidance and proven patterns and practices you need to build scalable, maintainable, and highly professional applications for multiple platforms and browsers. In this first complete guide to designing Silverlight applications for commercial use, Likness focuses on the advanced Silverlight features most directly related to solving real-world business problems and demonstrates how these features fit together in production-quality applications.
Written from the ground up, this book covers every key area of enterprise Silverlight development. For each, Likness introduces the opportunities and capabilities Silverlight provides, offers relevant case studies from actual projects, presents complete C# code samples, and explains them in detail. Every chapter concludes with a summary highlighting the specific information and techniques most important for developers to consider.
• Leveraging Silverlight 5’s powerful enhancements to performance, text, printing, usability, security, and programmability
• Effectively applying Silverlight’s application cycle in enterprise applications
• Using XAML to drive Silverlight’s visual interface
• Quickly transforming raw data into visually appealing information
• Using Silverlight’s innovative Visual State Manager and data binding to separate design, UI/UX experience, and business logic
• Simplifying development with the MVVM pattern
• Using MEF to integrate modular code into highly extensible, maintainable, and testable Silverlight applications
• Improving and automating testing with Silverlight Unit Testing Framework and third-party add-ons
• Mastering each leading approach to navigation and implementing the best one for your application
• Implementing the service layer, persistence, and state management
• Building advanced “out-of-browser” applications
• Integrating sophisticated line-of-business features into your solutions
• Optimizing the performance of your Silverlight applications
This book will be invaluable for all experienced client developers who use Microsoft’s technology stack and want to leverage Silverlight’s immense power; and for every Silverlight developer seeking to improve existing line-of-business applications with the new Silverlight 5.
This is the most complete, hands-on, solutions-focused guide to programming modern Windows applications with the Windows Runtime.
Leading Windows development consultants Jeremy Likness and John Garland present easy-to-adapt C# and XAML example code for more than 80 projects. Their real-world application examples help you apply Windows 8.1’s best improvements, including large tiles, the new search control, flyouts, command bars, native WinRT networking, and new deployment and sideloading options.
Drawing on their pioneering experience, they illuminate key areas of the Windows Runtime API, offering uniquely detailed coverage of encryption, cloud connectivity, devices, printers, and media integration. You’ll find cutting-edge tips and tricks available in no other book.
This is an indispensable resource for all intermediate-to-advanced Windows developers, and for any architect building desktop, tablet, or mobile solutions with Microsoft technologies. Its focus on both C# and XAML will make it valuable to millions of Windows developers already familiar with Silverlight, WPF, and/or .NET.
• Creating robust app interfaces with the newest XAML controls, including flyouts and command bars
• Saving data in a persistent “roaming zone” for syncing across Windows 8.1 devices
• Using Visual State Manager (VSM) to build apps that adapt to various device resolutions and orientations
• Integrating virtually any form of data into your apps
• Connecting with web services, RSS, Atom feeds, and social networks
• Securing apps via authentication, encrypting, signing, and single sign-on with Microsoft Account, Facebook, Google, and more
• Leveraging Windows 8.1 media enhancements that improve battery life and app performance
• Networking more effectively with Windows 8.1’s revamped HTTP implementation and new location APIs
• Using Tiles and Toasts to keep apps alive and connected, even when they aren’t running
• Enabling users to send content between devices via NFC tap and send
• Ensuring accessibility and globalizing your apps
• Efficiently debugging, optimizing, packaging, and deploying your apps
• Building sideloadable apps that don’t have to be published in Windows Store
“This book doesn’t just focus on singular concepts, it also provides end-to-end perspective on building an app in WinRT. It is one of those essential tools for Windows developers that will help you complete your software goals sooner than without it!”
—Tim Heuer, Principal Program Manager Lead, XAML Platform, Microsoft Corporation
“Jeremy builds real apps for real customers. That’s why I can heartily recommend this book. Go out and write some great apps…and keep this book handy.”
—From the Foreword by Jeff Prosise
Build Exceptionally Immersive and Responsive Touch-Based Windows Store Apps for Windows 8 with C# and XAML
This is the first practical guide to building breakthrough applications for Windows 8 from project templates through publication to the new Windows Store. Microsoft “MVP of the Year” Jeremy Likness helps you combine your existing developer skills with new Visual Studio 2012 tools and best practices to create apps that are intuitive and innovative. His guidance and insight will help you dive into Windows 8 development—and gain a powerful competitive advantage for years to come.
Likness illuminates the entire apps lifecycle, from planning and Model-View-View Model (MVVM) based design through coding, testing, packaging, and deployment. He covers both business and consumer apps, showing how Windows 8/WinRT development builds upon and contrasts with older WPF and Silverlight approaches.
Using carefully crafted downloadable code examples and sample projects, Likness shows how to make the most of new platform features, including integrated social networking, search, contracts, charms, and tiles. Throughout, he addresses crucial development challenges that have only been discussed on MSDN, blog posts, and Twitter feeds—and never with this depth and clarity before.
• Mastering real-world Windows 8 development for all devices and form factors • Understanding the new WinRT framework and the unique characteristics of Windows 8 apps
• Designing apps that are faster, more responsive, do more with less, and maximize battery life
• Creating exceptionally fluid interfaces with VS 2012 templates, built-in animations, and XAML
• Building apps that respond consistently to multiple forms of input, including complex touch manipulations
• Using contracts and charms to expose services or enable users to do so
• Providing information to users through Live Tiles even when your app isn’t running
• Connecting your app seamlessly to multiple data sources, including social networks and cloud storage
• Syndicating rich, network-based content
• Using Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM)
• Securing Windows 8 apps through authentication and authorization
• Efficiently testing, debugging, packaging, and deploying apps