Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jerk from Jamaica: Barbecue Caribbean Style
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

I received "Jerk from Jamaica" in the mail on Saturday, and my husband and I couldn't resist planning a feast for the next day. Already I'm singing the praises of this book, and I just can't get enough of the leftovers.

Helen Willinsky grew up in Jamaica, studied cooking in Europe, and ran a resort in Jamaica; she includes family recipes, traditional recipes, and recipes that blend older Jamaican elements with newer ingredients and traditions. She strikes a beautiful balance, one so many authors fail to achieve, between introducing us to traditional methods and ingredients and yet making it possible for us to enjoy Jamaican flavors in our own kitchens even if we don't have access to a barbecue grill or all of the traditional Jamaican flavorings.

You'll need access to some sort of barbecue grill or the equivalent in order to get the most out of this cookbook, it's true, but it's certainly worth buying even if you don't have that. Oven directions are included for many recipes, and there are even adaptations to the slow cooker and other such modern conveniences. A few sources for ingredients are provided, as well as substitutions using more commonly-found items.

The quality of the recipes is right up there with the Sugar Mill cookbook, but this book focuses primarily on a simpler, narrower type of cooking. It's easy to whip up these recipes with little advance notice, but they'll satisfy your tastebuds for days on end. If you're looking for something new to do with your grill, this will certainly qualify!
on May 13, 2007
When we went to Jamaica in '05 for the first time, we broke out of the all-inclusive, rented a driver and took a day trip long the north coast. We had our first meat patties and stopped at the driver's favorite jerk stand and had our first real jerk chicken washed down with Red Stripe.

When we cook out of this book, every recipe takes us back. We brought Helen's first book back with us from Jamaica and we never cooked anything from it that we didn't enjoy. What I get from this book is the sense of Jerk. I grow my own Scotch Bonnets and now prefer them over the many Habanero varieties I've grown. I look for the biggest Jamaican pimento berries I can find (usually at a Mexican grocery).

If you've ever had jerk and wondered if you can do it too--buy this book. You can! Follow her recipes and it will be jerk, Mon.
on July 23, 2015
One reviewer says that this book is about one marinade and one recipe for each type of meat. Its true, you get the basic marinades and sauces and then becomes too simplistic. There are very few pictures to see the finished product but the flavors are genuine. Until this or other books on jerk are published with more graphic material, this will be your go to book for jerk flavor. Along with tandoori and barbecue, this completes a trio of cooking sytles that can make you a very dangrous cook.
on April 1, 2009
I am a Jamaican that has lived in the United States going on 9 years.I love to cook and I love jerk chicken and have tried many different variations of this recipe from online resources, marinades and other cookbooks. The results have always been disappointing, to say the least. I bought this book based on the reviews and tried one of the first recipes, the jerk marinade. I marinated it in chicken over night and cooked it on my gas grill with pimento wood chips as instructed - oh my goodness it was delicious! Tasted just like the jerk chicken I grew up with and love. Finally an authentic jerk recipe that I can make for my friends and family members!
on June 10, 2015
I have been to Jamaica 3 times. I searched for a perfect jerk marinade and rub. This book has them!!! I've made some to give away at Christmas to rave reviews. There are so many recipes in here that are authentic but easy to make. You will swear you're in Jamaica when you taste the food you've made. These recipes are so good!. You won't regret buying this book!
on September 27, 2013
This was a gift and so original a theme in her collection of cookbooks that she immediately loved it. Thanks for recommending it based on my browsing of your website. Your background browser shopping assistant is non-invasive and valued.
on April 25, 2014
Love the recipes for wet and dry jerk seasoning. Both are very good, coleslaw was excelent. So far only 1 receipe I did not like, the baked plantain, it says get speckled but you need totally ripe to make it work .
on July 30, 2007
I made the spice rub like the recipe in the book and have mainly cooked some of the chicken. It tastes very munch like that I buy down the street at a place that makes jerk dishes. The "cook" is from Jamaica and he says thats the way they make it down there. The tastes are quite a departure from any other foods I have eaten. The book is very well laid out with many pretty pictures. Tom...
on November 12, 2007
Ms. Willinsky has put together a very down to earth, readable and do-able cook book. I've tried three of the meats and one of the salads, and intend to do more. None of the jerk is too hot as written -- add your own peppers as you wish -- so nothing to be afraid cf "jerk" you may have had elsewhere. The flavors are very subtle.
on February 13, 2014
I ordered this by accident. As it turns out its a really good book with recipes, tips and facts about Jerk and it's history.