Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 30, 2012
I LOVE Sarah Young's way of presenting God's promises to us in a personal way. I first discovered Ms. Young when I read 40 Days With Jesus: Celebrating His Presence, which prompted me to purchase the year long devotional (Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence). When she published Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions For Kids I bought it! I type up the devotionals and add a picture to them and include them in my daughter's lunch box every day. When I saw this title, I was excited to have one to share with my preschooler.

But this one is so much more than the others! It includes 49 Old Testament stories and 51 New Testament stories presented with beautiful illustrations (thank you Caroline Farias)and a great age appropriate narration. According to Young this book was "designed to help young children come to know God's Word and enjoy the Presence of Jesus in their lives. This book tells the wonderful story of God's great love for His people." I have to say that this has definitely been accomplished.

The Bible portions that have been included show God's love from creation, through Abraham, David, and finally the life of Jesus as well a reminder that "one day, things will become perfect the way God wants them to be. Someday God's love-brighter than the brightest sun-will be the only light we need...in the vision that Jesus showed to John, God and his children lived together as one perfect, happy family--the way it was supposed to be back in the Garden with Adam and Eve all those years ago." I found the stories to follow the Biblical account very closely and that made me happy. So many children's Bibles turn the accounts into fairy tales.

What I especially enjoyed is that at the end of each story is a Bible verse that corresponds to the events as well as a devotional in the expected Saray Young style. For example, the devotion after the story of Ruth and Naomi reads: Everything that happens fits into My plan for good if you love Me. Trust Me with big things, like your friendships and future dreams. You can also trust Me for little, everyday things. Remember how I took care of Ruth and Naomi. Nothing is too big or too small for Me. So talk with me about everything.

And the watercolor illustrations are absolutely GORGEOUS! I would love to frame some of them! If you have a young child, this book really does need to be on your bookshelf!

I did receive a digital copy of this book from the publisher with the expectation that I would give it an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
on January 26, 2015
A friend of ours gave my children this book for Christmas. I started reading it to my kids, but stopped after just a few devotionals. I believe that devotional bibles are fine - if they are Biblically accurate. However, I found myself having to go back to the scripture passages to give my kids the true story! Things like the story of Cain and Abel - Sarah Young writes that after Abel's death, all people came from Cain - the cursed brother. No mention of Seth, etc. And in the story of Jacob, Rachel and Leah - she writes that Leah had eleven children and Rachel had two. Back to the Bible... I understand that a Bible story book will sometimes simplify complex stories for young readers, but it should NOT give false information!
11 comment| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2012
This is a wonderful book for parents or grandparents to read to little ones. It covers the major parts of the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. There several parts to each section, and places to stop and dialogue. I am very pleased with this book, which I bought for me to read with my grandchildren.
on May 25, 2013
I am so glad we found this Bible storybook! We have tried quite a few and usually become irritated for various reasons, such as an author introducing too much personal interpretation, focusing too much on any one aspect of scripture (such as every other story being about idolatry), or many of the stories being too long to hold a child's attention.

Compared to the rest of the bible story books we have found, this one is the best! It is not perfect as there is still a subtle hint of interpretation such as with the story of God Testing Abraham on pages 46-47, but overall, in my opinion, this storybook sticks very close to the original text. When I really try to place myself in the author's shoes, I don't think I could do a better job of making so many bible stories palatable for kids ranging from 2-12+.

The stories are the perfect length to hold both my 4 and 7 year old's attention, the illustrations are great (really great!), and the stories frequently lead to further discussion and exploration within our family. Not to mention I get something out of them too!

It is with all of this considered that I wholeheartedly rate this book 5 stars.
on June 21, 2015
Pretty good. All the stories are just a page. Some stories need more than that. The verses she includes with each story are uncommon translations and are sometimes a stretch to relate to the story they are being associated with. The retelling of the stories is pretty good though. Overall, not bad, but not my favorite. I usually just skip reading the verses she includes with the story if I'm reading this with my daughter. After all, I'm the parent whose responsibility is to teach my children about God and his Word, but I don't need and "aid" that makes it confusing for little audiences.
on July 24, 2015
I purchased this Bible for my four-year-old son. He loves to read; my husband and I read to him from a children's Bible each night. We'd already read The Jesus StoryBook Bible with him multiple times and we were ready for something new. This Bible was a perfect fit! It contains several new Bible accounts that our son hadn't heard from the Story Book Bible, such as the story of Samson. At the end of each account, there is an accompanying Bible verse. The verse doesn't necessarily come from the Biblical passage from the story; rather, it meets the theme or the overall lesson from the story. After the verse, there is a brief paragraph, speaking from Jesus in first person, in which the heart lesson is reiterated and important concepts are covered.
In all, reading the story account, going over the verse a couple of times, and carefully covering the heart lesson takes about 5-10 minutes, which is just the right time based on my son's attention span. We're glad that we added this children's Bible to our collection.
on February 23, 2015
I was looking for a way to introduce the Bible to my children. This book was recommended by a friend. I read to my 7 year old boy at night before bed. He seems to like the stories. We skip the Jesus Calling devotionals on the pages as they aren't really relevant to him right now and it seems a little confusing to looping back around to Jesus when reading the stories in the Old Testament. I think it is a good resource for sharing Bible stories with your child. It meets my expectations for what I was looking for. I don't give a product less than 5 stars unless I can think of some way that it could be better. I would give this 5 stars if it included some questions to ask your child after the story or set of stories that would help to engage your child in conversation.
on August 14, 2014
Absolutely the best Bible storybook out there. The pictures are captivating and it's one of the most comprehensive ones we have seen. It tells the stories in a way that is driven by Truth instead of fluffing over the not so good stories which I have seen in some children's Bibles:( Also the little devotion messages are so great. It even got my 3 year old super hyper strong-willed niece to sit down for a story. Were are reading this to our baby hoping they will have a strong relationship with Jesus instead of growing up in a environment where they feel mom and dad's religion is forced on them.
on April 29, 2015
This was another gift for a young granddaughter. She was curious about the cross with Jesus on it at church, and I wasn't sure what to explain to someone so young so I searched for a book. There isn't a lot out there, which is a shame but we are living in strange times. Her mother was pleased and will read it to her and hopefully teach her about Jesus and what he's done for us.
on January 23, 2016
I love this Bible. It is beautifully illustrated. I have Sara Young's Jesus is Calling Devotional and it is great and she also did a great job with this Bible. I bought a couple and gave them as gifts for Christmas.