Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence Hardcover – October 10, 2004
|New from||Used from|
Wiley Summer Savings Event.
Save up to 40% during Wiley's Summer Savings Event. Learn more.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
“I’ve given this beautiful book to so many people I love, and I’ve come back to it myself again and again. I’m so thankful for what God has done in my own life and the lives of people I love through this extraordinary book.” -- Shauna Niequist, , bestselling author of Bread and Wine and Savor
“My friend gave [Jesus Calling] to me years ago, and it has become part of my daily devotional. I’ve bought every Sarah Young book since. They just meet the needs of the heart.” -- Kathie Lee Gifford, , host of The Today Show, author, singer, and actress
“Jesus Calling has been such an inspirational tool in my daily walk with Jesus. I was first introduced to Jesus Calling three years ago, and since then, I’ve given countless copies to friends and family in hopes that it will help them in their spiritual walk as it has in mine. This book perfectly encapsulates Christ’s love for us, and it supports each message with scriptural evidence.” -- Sean Lowe, , ABC Television’s The Bachelor and author of For the Right Reasons
“This simple book illustrates the art of biblical meditation and the power of God’s Word in giving us daily strength for daily needs. Jesus Calling is a phenomenon, as we’d expect anytime Jesus is calling.” -- Robert Morgan, , bestselling author of Then Sings My Soul and The Red Sea Rules pastor of The Donelson Fellowship in
Top Customer Reviews
I chose "Jesus Calling," a devotional by Sarah Young.
I was drawn to the content based on a few tweets from others reading the devotional. I grew up in my faith with the Oswald Chambers classic "My Utmost for His Highest." I love my online devotional time on the Jesuit site [..]--one of my favourite experiences on the web. I also love Henri Nouwen's "Bread for the Journey."
Now "Jesus Calling" is fast becoming another classic in my life. Sarah Young writes what she hears Jesus speaking to her in her spirit. She has honed her listening through years and years of writing in her journal and being attentive to what the Spirit wants to say to her.
As I have spent time in "Jesus Calling, "I have heard Jesus speaking to me many times in beautiful, fresh ways. Sometimes I hear Sarah's personal filter--she is the pen, the messenger, after all--but I also recognize this as the voice of my Shepherd.
Here are a few of my favourite calls:
* "Rest in My Presence, allowing Me to take charge of this day. Do not bolt into the day like a racehorse suddenly released. Instead, walk purposefully with Me, letting Me direct your course one step at a time."
* "You are on the right path. Listen more to Me, and less to your doubts. I am leading you along the way designed just for you."
* "You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today. It is in the present moment that I walk close to you, helping you carry your burdens.Read more ›
I've been plagued with financial problems of trying to replace Mother's aged equipment and the odds seemed insurmountable and the page I had opened to read like it was a message just for me . . . I found myself saying 'OK, God, if this is a message, I hear you . . . if not, it can't do me any more damage that I've already got and I got the book. Only later did I notice that the page I randomly opened to was my Mother's birthday.
Each day I read and each day I feel a little more peaceful . . . I have always believed in God, but I don't remember ever being so positively moved and a couple wonderful things happened today, 5 days after I started reading.
Not poetic, just straight forward writings as if the words come from God and the Bible verses written at the bottom of each page to back up the message. I'm so glad I bought it and I've already told friends about it so they could get one too.
Many of these short sayings that Young puts in the mouth of Jesus are things the Lord would say and has said to me during a life of listening to Him, reading the Scriptures, and keeping a journal. How often have I heard Him remind me to worship Him alone, to trust in Him at all times, and that He is always with me. To hear these words as if they are Jesus' own can be beneficial to the soul.
However, there are 4 reasons I can give "Jesus Calling" only 3 stars and not 4 or 5 stars, (even though I'm vastly outnumbered in the reviews on Amazon).
1. Young has Jesus say only a limited range of things compared to what God actually teaches in the entirety of the Bible. I love to hear Jesus say things like, "Relax; Trust Me; Listen to Me; I am with you; I am calling you; and Wait for Me." But this seems to be all that Young's Jesus ever says. Where are the specific commandments of Jesus, and not just "affirmations"? Where does this Jesus ever talk about the practical ways we should love our neighbor, and not just love God? And why is it always a solitary call to be alone with Him, when we're called to be the Church?
2. "Jesus Calling" shows Young's bias and doesn't have Jesus say the hard things He must often say. Where are His reminders and commandments to seek forgiveness and to forgive, to love regardless of the cost, etc? This Jesus doesn't seem ask us to do anything difficult or to sacrifice very much. It's all "You are on the right path.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Physical book was given to me by a friend at church; it is a daily meditation to focus each day on Jesus' love, but I'm not always near it every day, so I ordered a Kindle copy of... Read morePublished 6 hours ago by Roqgrrl
My husband and I love doing this together in the mornings. Very uplifting and it feels like the Lord is talking to you.Published 21 hours ago by Amazon Customer
My favorite devotional! We've given several as gifts and they've been a blessing to everyone who received them!!Published 1 day ago by Christine Denno
I love anything that has to do with Jesus
They make GREAT gifts.
It's a great way to start your day
This is one of the most incredible books/meditation sources that I use each day. I have recommended it to many, many people. Read morePublished 2 days ago by Sister Dorothy Ann Dirkx
I have to agree with the other reviewers who warn that we must be very careful of what we read. And I agree that this book is dangerous in its distortion of Christ and its effect. Read morePublished 3 days ago by LRS