Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 20, 2013
The good:

Finally, more than just a handful of images of JAR's work finally collected into a single volume that most people can afford. Unless you have $1,400 to spend on that other two-volume set, I don't know of any other substantial print collection of the artist's work.

The bad:

It's a very limited look at JAR's portfolio, in a small format. The images used aren't always the highest quality, and the angles at which pieces were photographed are often odd and don't allow you a full view of the piece, which can be frustrating. I've seen much better illustrations in auction catalogs.

Regardless, if you're a fan of JAR, you'll have to have this book, simply because, for most people, it's the only option. The day after it was released, it was already "temporarily out of stock" - and given the high level of interest in JAR's work , I'm sure it won't be available for long, and will become a sought after collector's item.

Until I can convince myself that the other thousand-dollar books are a worthwhile investment, this will have to do.
on December 7, 2013
One of the most gorgeous jewelery books Ever. I own them all--Tiffany, Faberge, Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Yard, Flato, Art Deco jewelry, etc. you name it, I have it. Hands down-this is the most scrumptious, gorgeous, delicious book of them all. Pieces of jewelry so creative, humorous, colorful and ingenious as to literally leave you gasping with surprise and delight.
Truly, I have never seen anything like these oh-so-precious witticisms both in terms of design and craftsmanship.
My only criticism (well, there are two), is that it wasn't long enough and the book was smaller than expected-about 9" x 9". Even so, I'm glad to have it, having been wait-listed for almost a year on the original book only to have my order cancelled, after which the price sky-rocketed into the thousands-of-dollars stratosphere.
A fabulous addition to any collection!
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2013
I cringe when people compare JAR to Faberge. Faberge was a great jeweler and artist but it's like comparing a sculptor (Faberge) to a poet (JAR). The work similar themes but their outcomes are completely different. As a dentistry student in the 80's (I love jewelry but work silver and gold in other ways) I first saw JAR's baubles thru specialized magazines. I was mesmerized by the colors, techniques and beauty of the pieces. Tantalizing hobby to follow him as his jewels made rare apparitions. Then the exhibition in England with a magnificent catalog but, alas, could not be shipped to PR. Now this book give us a glimpse of the beautiful work of this master. If you love jewelry (and these jewels are as rare as hen's teeth) don't pass this opportunity. I know I'll never will own a piece of JAR jewelry but at least I saw heaven.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 25, 2013
I was looking forward for this book, but I'm slightly disappointed.
I was hoping for a much larger coffee-table book with a wider selection of objects.
However, the book has a medium-size square shape, and housed in a thick cardboard sleeve.
The photographs are generally good but needed more light and different angles.
All the pieces are set against a black background which works fine for some pieces but not quite effective with others.

However, given that this book is the only available account on Jar that is reasonably priced, then I can't complain that much. Glad to have the book and would recommend it.
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 17, 2014
This man's jewelry creations are over the top in creative ideas and expressions.
Then add the quality and workmanship, and you have a piece Museum worthy.
I have followed his career and seen him finally get the attention he deserves.
He is a genius living in our time! And the book reflects it. If you feel you need to
see more, there is a huge collection in a more comprehensive book of his work.
Worth the price, indeed!!
on December 26, 2013
Understanding the secret world of Jar is not easy because there simply isn't a great deal of information, photos etc around on the Internet, magazines or newspapers about him and his work. So I took a chance on this book.
I must admit that although the jewelry is beautiful and inspiring, the format is disappointing. Many of the photographs are "just OK", and the book is smallish in size. I never understand why, when given an opportunity to create something great, people choose to settle for mediocre. When the material you have to work with is as great as Jar's work, the book should be spectacular as well. That simply isn't the case here.
If you are interested in this type of jewelry I would recommend Dior Joaillerie instead. It is a fabulous book, large in format with spectacular pictures. I bought that one here on Amazon also and I am not at all disappointed.
on January 17, 2014
EXCELLENT very happy to have received this book - excellent photography
and descriptions - quality of book is outstanding This will receive a special
place on my bookshelf
Footnote - could have been packed a tiny bit better - but with damaged
box still arrived reasonably safe.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 25, 2014
As a Master Goldsmith and Certified Gemologist, as well as an avid collector of books about fine jewelry; I can state that not only is JAR a modern day Faberge, but this simply gorgeous collectors book of his exhibit at The Met, will more than quadruple in value from its price now. An amazing book, and an excellent art book investment- I bought two; one to enjoy, and one to re-sell in the future. ENJOY!!
on March 16, 2014
Excellent to add to your library if you are a lover of haute couture jewelry. The book had plenty of beautiful full color photos of the show at the Met. Sadly, the book is rather small for an art book. Larger pictures would have done greater justice to the genius of Joel Rosenthal's vision. However, this is the only available affordable catalog of JAR's work, and I believe this is already out of print and climbing in price. Snap it up if you can.
on January 24, 2014
JAR - Joel Arthur Rosenthal is without question the most genius of designers. He takes carbon & metal & has it transformed into the most incredible objects of desire. One almost gets the sensation that these pieces are almost quivering with life. His use of color and non-traditional choices of gemstones as well as, mind boggling metals and finishes are parallel to none. A must have for anyone who seeks to experience beauty in one's everyday life. Sparkle JAR, Sparkle!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse