Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 1,123 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,789 reviews
on March 2, 2010
I'm starting from the standpoint of years of yoga practice and having taught Pilates professionally for seven years: needless to say, the boot camp style of "Biggest Loser" isn't exactly what I would go looking for in a yoga tape.

My initial Pilates-teacher bias notwithstanding, this is actually pretty interesting. It takes standard yoga poses and adds repetitions to the movement. What's really smart about it is three things:

1.) The repetitions are movements that don't put a lot of pressure on major joints--you're not moving through the joints in such a way that there is a lot of force, so this isn't likely to cause injury. Specifically, what you're not doing, is rolling through shoulder joints repeatedly, with all your weight on your shoulders, as in most Ashtanga yoga--which does tend to cause injuries.

2.) It's interval training. What that means is that your heart rate goes up and down a lot. Your body, in response, will default to a higher level of calorie burning and oxygen use, so this is a pretty good way to increase metabolism and what we think of as "lung capacity."

3.) It's difficult enough that you don't feel like you're wasting your time. Each workout is only 30 minutes, but it's difficult enough that, if your goal that day is fitness, you're definitely getting your money's worth.

Some negatives: it's filmed on a really bright gym set, which is a little difficult to watch; Jillian doesn't actually do all the poses; sometimes it's hard to see the beginner model when you need to.

Who this is for: experienced yoga folks who want a different kind of more athletic short practice; anyone wanting to add gym-based yoga to their workouts.

Who this is not for: if you have bad wrists, this might be undoable. Your knees also should be good enough to get up and down from the floor without difficulty.

However, this is a fairly safe, more difficult yoga dvd.

Yogi Eric Schiffman has been quoted as saying, "The point with yoga, is to do it a lot." If having another instructor in your dvd rotation, one who isn't airy-fairy, and overly emotional, for days when you just can't go there, then this is worth adding to the mix.
3535 comments| 1,877 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2016
This was TOUGH. waaaay tougher than a slow-flow yoga class. So hard that I literally could not finish it the first dayy on level 1. It reminds me a lot of the 30 day shred, but with yoga poses and reps instead of the running in place or the punches. Honestly, it may have been harder than the 30 day shred. Worthh doing, but know what you're getting into! :)
on May 12, 2016
I've been doing yoga for a year. Not religiously, but regularly enough. I bought this after a recommendation from a friend. I was surprised at how yoga-centered the exercises really are. I've done other "yoga" weight loss classes, and they barely had resemblance of a yoga class. But Jillian has designed a great routine that actually uses yoga poses to work your muscles in just the right way.

Before this DVD, I'd been going to the gym 2-3 times a week every week for months and seeing not much results. After doing Yoga Meltdown maybe 6 or 7 times, I'd lost an inch and a half off my waist! I haven't changed my eating at all. I still work out 2-3 times a week, but I've incorporated this program (usually the Level 1 routine) as 1 or 2 of those workouts each week. And I've kept off the inch and a half from my waist, I'm seeing little ab muscles forming, my love handles are working their way out, and my legs jiggle a little less. Personally, I haven't lost any pounds, but I'm definitely leaner, stronger, and more confident! My clothes fit better, and that's enough motivation for me to keep doing this workout regularly!

I would absolutely recommend this, even for anyone who has never done yoga.
on March 9, 2017
This is the one for me. I am new to yoga and I wanted something for strength, stretching and toning without meditation and having to talk to my body parts. She explains each posture well and is pleasant.
on June 6, 2017
I have been doing Jillian workouts on and off for 5+ years, but this year I have also incorporated some beginner yoga to improve my flexibility and better strengthen my core and stabilizing muscles. I also needed an option one or two days a week that involved less jumping/ impact because my knees were starting to get sore with non-stop interval training. I did "Yoga for Beginners with Barbara Benagh" twice per week for about 3 months to properly learn the yoga poses and get more comfortable with it, then felt like I was ready for more of a challenge and wanted to feel like I was getting a workout on my yoga days. This Yoga Meltdown DVD does just that. She really does incorporate true yoga poses, but she adds reps along with holds and you really do feel like you get a workout. I am intermediate fitness level, but to feel like I get a really truly challenging workout I need to either do both Level 1 and Level 2 back to back, or do a 30 minute video like one of the Shred levels and then do Level 1 or 2 of Yoga Meltdown. Since I got this video last month I have really really enjoyed doing it and I actually look forward to the days I get to do one or both of these workouts. I don't use yoga to do a lot of meditating or "mind clearing" but I have become a firm believer in how it can improve your fitness level and functionality. For those that have mentioned that this is tough on the hands/wrists/elbows- yes it is, but it does seem like if you work into it with modifications that it actually gets easier as those areas become more strong. Still, if you have carpal tunnel syndrome, or tennis elbow, I would say this is not for you.
on July 20, 2013
I lost 3 pounds the 1st week i used this video. It kicks your butt & I love it. I hate every second of the work out, but love the results. It's not difficult to do the moves, as my 9 & 14 year old girls can do it with me. But to keep going is hard. I hate working our, but do it because I don't want to turn into the good year blimp. I like this video as well as her 30 day shred.
on July 9, 2012
I am a yoga novice. I read the reviews before I bought this DVD. It is not, in my opinion, an appropriate workout for a beginner. It is too fast paced. There is too little guidance. I think it is actually irresponsible of Jillian to have put this DVD out on the market without a huge disclaimer for beginners attempting these workouts. I love Jillian. Have tried the 30 Day Shred and thought it was great. This DVD left me with a strained neck (from trying to watch the TV to see what she was talking about)for 2 days and a sore upper back.

I wrote a full review here: [...] I am not sharing the link to gain anything for the website, but I was able to go into more detail for anyone interested in reading an honest review.

I would caution anyone wanting to buy the Yoga Meltdown to be very careful not to strain your body too much to actually get into the poses she has you doing AND listen to your body.
on June 10, 2017
I love this workout! It's a really fast paced yoga, no time for meditation and going deep into the poses but boy did I sweat! The poses are not really challenging, it was all doable ( im in my early 30s and consider myself fit) but I was so sore the next day. Level 1 focuses more on the upper part of your body while level 2 on your legs and buns. I actually found level 2 little bit more challenging. Highly recommended for those who look forward to a full body workout without cardio.
on June 12, 2017
I was surprised by how much I liked her and the workout. The poses are doable, it's a little more than a half hour, so fits into my schedule, and I found her charming. Would highly recommend for someone that want to try yoga but isn't into to meditation aspect
on December 15, 2012
I like a high cardio workout, so I purchased this video thinking it would make me like yoga. It's got a lot of fun and interesting moves that are extremely challenging to your balance/core and breathing patterns. It is a little too fast paced for me personally, when being so stretched out I want a little more time between one move to the other. Do not let that stop you from buying this video though! If you like yoga, but you want to incorporate cardio then you'll dig this. This video really leaned me out, especially my arms and back. I really enjoy the resting poses :) This is an ideal video for someone who enjoys fast paced/intense yoga moves! There are two levels which are both difficult, so if you're a yoga beginner I would not recommend.