Customer Reviews: Jim Henson: The Works - The Art, the Magic, the Imagination
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 28, 2003
A must have gem for any die hard Jim Henson fan. This book is rich and loaded with information and pictures on the evolution of Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson's life. From SAM AND FRIENDS to COMMERCIAL SHORTS (Wilkins Coffee and La Choy Chow Mein) to SESAME STREET. That's not all there's great stuff on THE MUPPET SHOW, including an entire page of small pictures of all 120 Guest Stars with songs and pictures and skits from the shows. From THE MUPPET MOVIE to LABYRINTH to FRAGGLE ROCK to so much more, you will want to read it over and over again. Something to share with your young one's over the years as well.

BUY IT, YOU'LL LOVE IT! Rest in peace, Jim Henson! You were THE genius!
on March 16, 1999
Christopher Finch does a great job of detailing Jim Henson's life. He includes colorful pictures and stories about Henson from his colleagues and friends. "Jim Henson The Works" always keeps your interest by containing interesting and fun sidebars. Every Muppet fan should read this book.
on March 30, 2000
This book is absolutely incredible! Every page is bursting with the zany creativity that Jim Henson inspires in us all. This book is well-worth the price for the photos alone -- everything from early obsure works to Sesame Street to my hero, Kermit the Frog. The text is engaging, informative and full of interesting stories behind the movies and tv shows that have made so many of us laugh. If you are part of the Muppet generation like me you will especially appreciate the fond memories this book brings back.
on March 2, 2006
Everyone who knows me as an adult thinks that I must have been a huge Disney fan as a child. While I've always enjoyed Disney films and shorts, my childhood was focused mainly on three things: Peanuts, Star Wars, and The Muppets.

This week's book spotlight is Jim Henson, The Works - yet another of my most prized books in my library. In it, we not only read biographies and histories of the characters that we've grown to love, but we also learn about some of the projects that he would have like to have produced and how much of an artist and visonary Jim Henson really was.

The book contains some of the most creative and unique page layout designs that I have ever seen. I especially enjoy the small "Jim Henson: The Early Years" book which is about a quarter of the page dimensions of the rest of the book which is tipped-in to the binding. The entire volume appears to have been assembled as thoughtfully and lovingly as you can imagine Jim doing all of the projects during his life.

In a nutshell, I would highly recommend this book-not just to people who are fans of the Muppets, like myself, but to anyone who likes to have a peek into what makes creative people tick, and maybe glean some inspiration in the process.

What made me decide to comment on this book-besides seeing it on my bookshelf every day at work-is my recent purchase of The Muppet Show: First Season on DVD. I was a little nervous when I first got it that I wouldn't enjoy the humor as much as an adult as I did when I was a kid, but I couldn't have been more mistaken. It is so nice to see the sophisticated wit in the writing of this show that still makes me laugh out loud. I was also happy to see that my 5 & 7 year old daughters also laughed quite a bit at the show and often ask to watch them over again. The shows still have value today as great entertainment and I would highly recommend them.
on October 3, 2013
I first saw this beautiful book at a Jim Henson exhibit at the Smithsonian, and I really wanted it, but I didn't want to pay $40 for it. I'm so glad I found it here on Amazon for less.

Jim Henson: The Works is like having that entire exhibit and then some with you at home.

The book goes in chronological order, starting with Henson's childhood, his first TV show, Sam and Friends; his experimental films and other projects; Sesame Street; The Muppet Show; the Muppet Movies; the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth; The Storyteller; Muppet Vision 3D (which I saw in Disney World and loved!); Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, and more. It's fully illustrated, informative and gorgeous!

If you only get one Jim Henson book, this should be the one.
on May 16, 2014
I was so happy to get this book. I love that it starts from the beginning with the first crudely made puppets that Jim Henson and his wife made to how they progressed through time. It shows how new characters were developed and expanded. Fantasticly photographed all of the way.
on July 4, 1997
This book is a must-have for any fan of Henson's work, be it with the Children's Television Workshop (Sesame Street) or in his various Muppet television shows and movies. Beautifully photographed and lovingly written, this book would make the perfect gift for anyone with a love of pure imagination and magic. Life is a journey filled with the wonder of discovery, and Jim Henson was a visionary who helped us all to find the "Kermit" in ourselves
on January 7, 2012
I bought this for my fiance for Christmas. As a life long Muppet fan I really couldn't have gotten anything better. The book is chock full of gorgeous photos, tons of great stories, and I can't think of a better book to get a fan of Jim Henson's legacy. There were several photos that were so touching and full of love that I couldn't stop myself from crying. I can't recommend this enough. Jim Henson was a genius, pure and simple and this book is a glorious representation of his gifts to the world.
on December 10, 2011
Everyone can enjoy this fantastic book. Whether it's the pictures, life stories or behind the scenes. I can't imagine anyone giving this less than 5 stars, as i see is the current status...
Worth buying while supply lasts.
on March 29, 2007
It's hard to believe Jim Henson has now been gone for over 16 years. Christopher Finch's book stands as a great testament to Henson's amazingly prolific work and his larger-then-life existence. Despite Henson's natural shyness and reticence and quiet manner, the thing that strikes you in the book is how many lives this guy touched. He bestowed livelihoods on literally thousands of people. Their gratitude is expressed in these pages time and again in fervent, emotional recollections. To say Jim Henson inspired devotion only begins to get at what this guy meant to his family, friends and employees.

My hat is off to Christopher Finch for this wonderful collection, which is still available here as a beautiful and hardily-constructed first-edition hardback. Mr. Finch gets an extra level of respect for the decision (of which he no doubt had a say) to keep his name off the dustcover front. He's graciously stepped aside to let the lights shine warmly on Jim Henson.