Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on March 14, 2015
First of all, I am a reader on the go, so the Kindle app for this book is absolutely perfect for me. In addition to owning a Kindle device, I have the app on my phone so my reading time can be flexible.

In all actuality, I have not completed reading this book but I was still compelled to say something in regards to its high quality. It is well written and without a doubt, thoroughly researched. The author's narrative is most engaging and, clearly, Larry Jordan, took pains to corroborate the massive details. For instance, did you know that Jim recorded songs in South Africa that have never been heard? Is it possible that the plane crash investigation could have been compromised due to a mysterious brief case that was on board? Those items are just the tip of the iceberg.

I will certainly update this review but the point that I wish to get across is this biography is simply a fascinating read. With 672 pages, it is not just a biography but a valuable reference tool as well. Larry Jordan's book is an excellent study of Jim Reeves and the golden era of country music.
Simply put, I was blown away with this book. Having published more than 20+ books myself, including biographies of Melvin Belli, Thomas Merton, Jonathan Pollard, Mike Tyson and former Hitler Youth leader Ursula Martens as well as "The Poison Patriarch" about the JFK assassination, I am most impressed with not only the incredible amount of research done about Mr. Reeves' life but also how the author permits a reader like me to feel as if he is experiencing the famous singer's defining moments as they happen. Best of all, the author debunks many of the myths surrounding Mr. Reeves' life and perhaps as important, his unfortunate death. We therefore get a clear picture based on fact, not fiction, including how Mr. Reeves rose from being an unknown to the top of his profession as a singer who thrilled listeners around the world with his magical stories. The author is certainly correct that Mr. Reeves was "velvet voiced" and this important biography is a true keepsake for anyone who loved his music as I do.
on December 27, 2017
The book was a gift for Christmas for my Mom. She loved it. It came faster than I thought it would and it was in terrific shape. I am pleased.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 10, 2014
Very fine read! Not too much has been written about the older "country Musicians" and this certainly was a treat to read. I would recommend this to anyone.
on February 16, 2017
This is the Must Book to Read " JIM REEVES UNTOLD STORY" This book reveals Jim reeves life Story with Stunning photos ,His recording career ,his touring with the BLUEBOYS BAND .Everything revealed from his birth to his Tragic Death ,Stunning compilation of Facts Autobiography .This is why i Rated this book 5 star ,Beautifully written by LARRY JORDAN ,
on October 19, 2015
The most comprehensive,truthful,and most accurate biography to date about the greatest country singer who ever lived.There will never be another Jim Reeves.He was a complex man. A perfectionist onstage,in the studio,and in life.A talent like his appears only rarely.Existing too briefly, and was gone much too soon at age forty.He is still missed over half a century after his passing,and few if any of today's recording artists are likely to have this ever said of them, as there is a dearth of the caliber of talent (among artists in the early twenty-first century) that Jim Reeves possessed.A book you will not want to put down.A must read for biography lovers and Country music fans.For some who read it there are many surprising revelations within its pages about this truly good man, but "all -too-human" and still somewhat flawed man.It is hinted by some who knew him well that he may have been manic depressive, which would explain some of his seeming character deficiencies, as does his background in poverty growing up without his father, who died from brain cancer before Reeves was one year old.Jim Reeves died in a plane crash at the end of July 1964.Inclement weather was a factor in the crash.
on April 4, 2015
Still reading.....a very long book. Goes into a lot of detail that I think might not be necessary, but I am enjoying it.
on June 3, 2013
I'm in my mid-40s and grew up with my Dad's collection of classic country records. Jim Reeves was always one of my favorites and I always found him kind of mystical since he died so young. Over the years, my tastes have evolved and am not quite as fond of Jim's music as I was as a kid (ironic) BUT I still think he has one of the best voices ever in pop music and feel he is VERY under appreciated.

As soon as I saw this book on Kindle, I had to have it. I would give this 4 1/2 stars, if possible. I loved the detail, most celebrity bios leave me wanting more, so kudos for the most part. My only critique was that the travel itinerary part of the book could have been cut by about 20% and would've actually made the book stronger.

That being said it is obvious that Larry Jordan is a big fan of Jim Reeves' music but not blinded concerning the man's (if these accounts are true and I wasn't there so I can't say) VERY significant faults and at times unconscionable personal behavior. It seemed Jordan wanted to bring both sides of the argument to the table both pro and con.

One HUGE unexpected revelation was learning more about the mysterious circumstances around Reeves' plane crash recovery (also see Richard Belzer's "Hit List" to learn more).

That being said, Jim Reeves was a great artist, if not a great person, and I enjoyed this book immensely. I'd love if this author would do a similar treatment with Patsy Cline. Thanks again for a great book.
on September 2, 2016
Good book but too much information in spots where it was not needed. Left you thinking he was a really messed up person which with his
singing style and apparent attitude you would not have guessed. Not sure I wanted to know that.
on May 2, 2016
Very thorough, there is nothing you would want to know about Jim's life that is not covered in this book.