Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Jim Trefethen
Jim Trefethen, a lifelong sailor and boater, is a former technical writer and editor who for the past ten years has made his living renovating and repairing wooden boats in Marblehead, Massachusetts. His approach is single-minded: Fix the boat and get it in the water by whatever means necessary, authenticity be damned.
How-to guidance for retiring on a boat—for aging captains and landlubbers
Have you ever thought you might want to retire on a boat? Of course you have or you wouldn’t have picked up this book! Whatever form your yearning for aquatic retirement takes, Jim Trefethen can help you realize the dream.
After sailing together for over 40 years, the Jim and his wife have learned the secrets of living a content and productive life. Here Jim shares those secrets, including:
● Making sure you really want to do it: then make sure you are sure.
● How to upsize your ambitions while downsizing your life, in ways that will enhance your retirement
● How to get all your shore-side affairs in order, then to make some important adjustments in your attitude, confidence, and self esteem
● Easy-to-understand pointers and suggestions for deciding which type of retired cruising is best for you
● A ten-step plan to buying a boat with as little drama as possible
● How to modify your new/old floating retirement home to make it safer, more comfortable, and more elderly friendly
Live the cruising life without being wealthy!
Thousands of ordinary people are living their dreams of sailing the world thanks to The Cruising Life, and this completely updated Second Edition aims to help thousands more find adventure over the horizon. Even if you’ve never sailed before, this A-to-Z guide can have you cruising to exotic ports within five years.
Your adventure begins right at home, practicing to live a sensible life with only the essentials, as described by lifelong sailor Jim Trefethen, who relishes the cruising life in retirement. Along your path to living at sea, Jim prepares you to:
If you think age, experience, and money can keep you from the cruising life, you haven’t read The Cruising Life, Second Edition.