Joe Knows Electronics 1/4W 86 Value 860 Piece Resistor Kit
|Price:||$14.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Kit contains 10 each of 86 standard E12 values from 0 ohm to 10M ohm.
- 1/4W 1% Tolerance Metal Film Resistors. High quality copper lead wires.
- Each ohm value individually packaged and neatly labeled for easy organization.
- Easy thumb through design. Find each ohm value without reading color band codes.
- Manufactured by Joe Knows, Inc.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I've been running into tolerance issues with these resistors. Here's an example: A 680k resistor reading at 734k. On the high-side of 1%, this resistor should be reading at 687k. Now if the product stated 10% tolerance, we'd be alright.
I'm also not a fan of how flimsy the leads are coming from the resistor. Looks like the adage "too good to be true" may hold weight here.
I've gone through the tedious task of measuring each of the 86 values in this set and here are my results:
470 ohm - 2% variance
1.5k ohm - 2% variance
100k ohm - 2% variance
270k ohm - 2% variance
470k ohm - 3% variance
330k ohm - 10% variance
680k ohm - 10% variance
5.6M ohm - 30% variance (only one of the resistors read this high, the others hit 1% as expected)
The 2% variance, while out of spec, shouldn't be a concern. The 330k and 680k, however, are way off. One of the 5.6M resistors read a whopping 30% off. I'm wondering if there's quality control issues from this batch.
Joe has offered to replace the sets that are out of range. I appreciate this greatly. It is more important to me in dealing with a business to see that the business cares about its product than getting a faulty item. In this case, I'd like to see the new batch arrive with the thicker leads as promised and with greater QC. Also, again, higher wattage sets!
This kit is so incredibly convenient. The first thing that I did when I got it was to sort my existing collection of resistors into the bags. They are labeled with the value, so this was really easy.
Some things you should know about these resistors:
* They are the "blue" kind. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does it make it a little more difficult to read the color codes because the blue background provides less contrast.
* They are 5-band resistors. The box has a great little chart for reading 5-band resistors. If you can read 4-band resistors then you will have no trouble with these. Why was this necessary? Some of the resistors have values that can't be expressed using the 4-band system.
* The leads are just a little bit thinner than you would find on a resistor that you bought from RadioShack, or a similar store. I personally don't care. They are still 1/4 of a watt, but the leads aren't as thick as the resistors that most beginners have become accustomed to.
I highly suggest that you buy this kit. If you ever need to build an oscillator, it will be important to have the right resistor values. Same goes for voltage dividers.
With that said, I have two suggestions for future versions of the kit:
* Please include some empty bags with blank labels so that we can make our own bags if we have some strange resistor values that didn't come with the kit.
* Please include 29k resistors. They are important if you wanted to make a phase-shift oscillator (search for it on Wikipedia)
P.S.: Joe, if you ever make a capacitor kit that matches the quality of this one, I will buy it in a heartbeat.
You also get a set of 0 ohm resistors, not wire jumpers but resistors banded for zero ohms! As a hobbyist, I don't see why I would prefer these over plain jumper wires, but they are kind of cool to have. I plan to show them to my buddies and ask them to read off the value to me :) Yes do I know they have their use.
If you have the time, read the comments on D. Deloach's review and you will see that Joe is very serious about producing a good product that meets his customers' needs.
That being said, my one gripe about nost resistor kits, is that they don't take into account the fact that some values are more popular than others. It's great to buy a kit like this once so that you have every value represented but when the time comes to restock, I expect to still have most of the values under 100ohms and above 1m ohm.
From my personal experience and some informal research on the web, it seems that the most commonly used values are the E12 series in the 1k & 10k ranges and a few values from the 100 & 100k ranges.
The E12 series, which is based on 10% increments goes:
10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68, 82.
I found these values at 5% in packs of 50 for $0.99 including shipping on ebay and loaded up on the values that I mentioned.
futurelec sells a 1/4w 'Value Pack' of 300 resistors for $2.95. Its a bit hard to find at their site. Do a search on 'resistors' and click on the 'more info' icon in the searc results.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love the Joe Knows Electronics kits! Whenever I need a part, I can nearly always find it in one of my Joe Knows Electronics kits. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Occasional Buyer
Great product. Good selection of parts and very well packaged!Published 3 days ago by Amazon Customer
A great kit, terrific value, and a spot check revealed consistent values that were well within manufacturer's tolerances. Read morePublished 1 month ago by NZ Aeronaut
I learned about Joe Knows Electronics from Amazon customers, and they are correct, "You can never go wrong with Joe.... Read morePublished 1 month ago by CubanoLibre
Killer selection, great sorting and packaging.
Will keep bags for refills so I always have a sorted set.
All I can say is this set was awesome, and exactly what I was looking for. I have ordered from Joe's before, and I will continue to do so.Published 4 months ago by Mister Knots