Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Law..." and save 46% off the $149.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower With Grass Bag
|Price:||$94.96 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Maintenance free - No gas, oil or tune-ups
- Powerful 12-amp motor cuts a 14-inch wide path
- Tailor cutting height with 3-position height control
- Detachable grass catcher for easy disposal of grass clippings
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the manufacturer
Restore a Little Lawn Order to Your Yard
Snow Joe + Sun Joe
Snow Joe + Sun Joe specialize in developing innovative outdoor tools to keep your home looking beautiful throughout the year, whether the snow is falling or the sun is shining. Our expansive line of outdoor power equipment, which includes manual, cordless, and electric tools such as lawn mowers, trimmers, tillers, and snow blowers, aims to simplify your yard routine to make it quick and easy to get your outdoor chores done.
We focus on designing high quality outdoor tools that are affordable, because we believe that high craftsmanship does not have to come with outrageous prices. Browse our product selection, including our lawn mowers, trimmers, hedgers, snow blowers, tillers, and cultivators, to see how Snow Joe + Sun Joe make it easy to Get equipped with the right tools to tackle everyday household chores.
Lean, Mean and Green Mowing Machine
Power Up With The Push of a Button:
The Mow Joe MJ401E is a lean, mean and green mowing machine that gets your yard chores done without polluting the atmosphere with toxic carbon emissions. Mow Joe starts instantly with the simple push of a button and features a safety switch to prevent accidental starting.
Great in Tight Spaces:
Responding to the need for an easy-to-use electric mower for smaller lawns, Sun Joe developed the Mow Joe MJ401E. Compact and lightweight (only 29 pounds) its rugged all-terrain wheels make it easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
Get Your Yard Chores Done:
Tailor the grass cutting height with its 3-position manual height control. Its 10.6 gallon hard-top rear bag conveniently collects grass clippings and detaches easily for quick disposal.
Compact and Easy-To-Operate:
Featuring the power of a gas machine in the convenience of an electric unit, this mower has a 12 Amp motor and a durable blade that cuts a 14 inch wide path.
Powerful 12 Amp Motor
MJ401E is packed with a powerful 12 Amp motor and cuts a 14 inch wide path.
MJ401E starts instantly and with no gas, oil or tune-ups makes it effortless to start and maintain. Features a safety switch to prevent accidental starting.
10.6 gallon grass catcher collects and stores grass clippings. Detaches easily for convenient disposal.
|Motor/Rotor||12 Amp/14 in. Steel Blade||13 Amp/14 in. Steel Blade||12 Amp/15 in. Steel Blade||13 Amp/17 in. Steel Blade||12 Amp/20 in. Steel Blade|
|Cutting Width||14 in||14 in||15 in||17 in||20 in|
|Deck Width||16.5 in||16.5 in||16 in||18.1 in||20 in|
|Height Control||3 Position Manual Adjustment||3 Position Manual Adjustment||6 Position Manual Adjustment||7 Position Manual Adjustment||7 Position Manual Adjustment|
|Grass Bag Capacity||10.6 gal||10.6 gal||9.3 gal||12 gal||14.5 gal|
|Weight||29 lbs||30 lbs||30.4 lbs||31.5 lbs||51.8 lbs|
|Warranty||Full 2 Year Warranty||Full 2 Year Warranty||Full 2 Year Warranty||Full 2 Year Warranty||Full 2 Year Warranty|
|Cutting width||14 inches|
|Item Dimensions||38.5 x 16 x 36 inches|
|Item Weight||28 pounds|
|Manufacturer Part Number||MJ401E|
|Manufacturer Warranty Description||Two Year Warranty|
|Shipping Weight||33.75 pounds|
Compare to similar items
This item Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower With Grass Bag
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||
Exclusively for Prime members
Exclusively for Prime members
|FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Item Dimensions||16 x 36 x 38.5 in||16.13 x 26.88 x 18 in||15.75 x 28.4 x 20.3 in||36.56 x 15.31 x 7.38 in||14.5 x 25.6 x 16.2 in||19.7 x 55.1 x 43.3 in|
|Item Weight||28 lbs||56 lbs||37.5 lbs||13.1 lbs||29 lbs||33 lbs|
GREAT IN TIGHT SPACES! Responding to the need for an easy-to-use electric mower for smaller lawns, Sun Joe developed the Mow Joe MJ401E. Compact and lightweight (only 29 lbs), the Mow Joe MJ401E is a lean, mean and green mowing machine that gets your yard chore done without polluting the atmosphere with toxic carbon emissions. Mow Joe starts instantly with the simple push of a button and its rugged all-terrain wheels make it easy to maneuver in tight spaces. Equipped with a durable steel blade, Mow Joe cuts a 14-inch wide swath with each pass. Tailor the grass cutting height with its 3-position manual height control, which adjusts from 1.18 inches to 2.52 inches. Its 10.6-gallon hard-top rear bag conveniently collects grass clippings and detaches easily for quick disposal. A collapsible handle allows for easy and compact storage when not in use. ETL-approved; Full 2-year warranty.
From the Manufacturer
Responding to the need for an easy-to-use machine that takes care of the smaller yards, Sun Joe developed the Mow Joe MJ401E, a smaller electric lawn mower that delivers the power of a gas machine with the convenience of an electric unit. Its durable steel blade cuts 14 wide with precision on each pass. In addition to its hard-working mowing capacity, the Mow Joe features a three position manual height adjustment. The Mow Joe is equipped with a hard top rear bag, which detaches easily for convenient disposal. No gas, oil, or tune-ups are necessary. The unit is ETL-approved and carries a full two year warranty.
Top customer reviews
1. The Mow Joe 14" has a 12 amp motor. Amazon is bundling it with a 16 gauge extension cord, despite the fact the manual states that for extension cord lengths under 100ft, a 14 gauge cord is required. For lengths of 100ft or more a 12 gauge cord is required (gauges work backward so a smaller gauge is a thicker wire). Trying to pull 12 amps of power through a little 16 gauge 100ft cord will burn out any electric motor pretty quick. That is why all these reviews complaining about the motor dying after a few weeks bother me. Either through ignorance or cheapness people use an under rated extension cord and blame it on the mower. Amazon could help by not recommending a cord that will destroy the motor.
2. Electric mowers by nature are maintenance mowers. It is assumed that you will be cutting your grass regularly before it gets so tall you are losing small children in it. If your grass in knee high then borrow your neighbors gas mower and get it to a manageable height and then keep it maintained with your nice quiet, lightweight, electric mower. Even the powerful 12 amp motor on this mower will have big problems with out of control grass, including blade stalling and premature motor failure.
In short the Mow Joe 14" is a great mower if you use it how it's designed to be used and don't abuse it.
I have been using and recommend this extension cord:
US Wire 65100 12/3 100-Foot SJTW Orange Heavy Duty Extension Cord
So right out of the box, this mower feels like a toy. I laughed when I opened it because it just seemed so...flimsy. It looks like something Fisher-Price would put out. It was easy to assemble - just the handle and attaching the tiny grass bag (which I took off 10 minutes into mowing). I wheeled it around the living room a little - it's light, fairly easy to turn and is so narrow I can actually just push it through my house and out my back door to start mowing (which is nice, because now I don't have to open my garage, go around to the back gate, unlock it, get the mower, come back around, mow and then do it all in reverse when I'm done).
Imagine my immense surprise (and delight) when my husband shrugged, carried it outside, started it up and the mower immediately started chewing on the grass, spitting it out like an old-timey baseball player with a mouthful of chaw. After the third time we emptied the little bag that came with it, we just abandoned the bag and let the grass fly all over creation.
If you are here looking to perhaps switch over from a gas to an electric mower, please allow me to share a few thing I wish someone had told me when I first started using an electric mower:
- you need the right cord: different extension cords have different gauges (this might have been why my first two electric mowers bit the dust prematurely). The gauge depends on the length of the cord itself. DO NOT IGNORE THIS PART. I've had 2 electric mowers before this Sun Joe, and I think this is probably what killed them (using the wrong cord).
- you need to be realistic about your expectations: they are never as strong as gas-powered mowers. If you are weak, hurt, impatient with yard work in general, horribly out of shape or otherwise don't think you can push around ~30lbs then don't get this. I'm in relatively decent shape (I do Jillian Michaels 3 days a week!) and even I struggle sometimes with getting this mower up and over my lumpy yard (I have no idea why it's lumpy. It just is.)
- because electric mowers aren't as strong, you can end up going over the same area multiple times (3, 4, sometimes even 5 if your grass is high enough). You have to use common sense - when you hear the mower struggling, STOP MOWING. If you don't, you'll do what I did to my first two electric mowers and burn out your motor (learn from my fail, people).
- these don't really save time as far as the mowing itself (see above), but it is REALLY REALLY NICE to just be done when you're done mowing (no oil, spark plugs, gas to worry about storing, etc). You literally just wipe it down, make sure all the nuts and bolts are still tight then wheel that sucker into the garage and take a nap.
As you can see from the photos, 1.) this mower was able to handle my decent sized yard (over the course of several days) and 2.) I really wasn't lying to you when I said I don't care what my yard looks like, as long as the grass isn't higher than the fence (so the neighbors won't complain!) The before photo is what the entire lawn looked like before I started. Don't get me wrong - this wasn't an easy job. The Sun Joe did stutter and seize up a few times, especially when I got into tough areas of grass (where the blades of grass are like actual blades, WTF). But ultimately, it was able to take everything down with multiple passes.
I choose to use electric mowers because they're better for the environment, less noisy and I don't have to figure out where to store gas or how to maintain the mower each fall. I'm willing to mow my yard in sections (giving both myself and the mower a rest), and go over areas multiple times, and do it over a course of several days. If you're short on time or patience with a yard larger than a postage stamp, then skip right over this guy and pony up the money for a good gas mower. If, however, you're like me and too lazy to upkeep a gas mower AND super cheap (and willing to do boring labor over a week), then this guy is pretty hard to beat for the price.
My yard is very small as you can see from the video. So for a smallish yard like mine this is a great product.
It took only 10 minutes to put it together and is very user friendly. It is light enough for my 4 year old son to push it. I am impressed with this little mower. It also has a 2 year warranty which makes me feel a bit more confident about this mowers long term durability.
Meidong E6ANC Bluetooth Headphones Active Noise Cancelling Headphones Wireless Stereo headphones with Microphone, Ergonomic Design for Kids Adult-Black, Great for mowing the lawn.