Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Joel Levitt
He has 25+ years of experience in many facets of maintenance, including as a process control designer, source equipment inspector, electrician, field service technician, merchant marine worker, manufacturing manager, and property manager. Before that, Mr. Levitt worked for a CMMS vendor and in manufacturing management. Levitt was also Director of International projects for LCE and Director of Reliability projects for Reliabilityweb.
He is a frequent speaker at maintenance and engineering conferences and has written 13 popular maintenance management texts and chapters of 2 additional reference books. He has also published 200+ articles on the topic. Mr. Levitt has served on the safety board of ANSI, Small Business United, National Family Business Council, and on the executive committee of the Miquon School.
He can be reached at JDL@Maintrainer.com or visit www.MaintenanceTraining.com
Customers Also Bought Items By
Now in its second edition and written by a highly acclaimed maintenance professional, this comprehensive and easy-to-understand resource provides a short review of all the major discussions going on in the management of the maintenance function. This revision of a classic has been thoroughly updated to include advances in technology and thinking and is sure to be found useful by maintenance professionals everywhere. It's the perfect reference for any maintenance professional that needs a quick update on any specific area within the subject.
- Contains five entirely new chapters, including Dealing with Contracts, 5S, Lean Maintenance, PM Optimizing, and Fire Fighting.
- Offers a complete survey of the field, an introduction to maintenance and a review of maintenance management.
- Provides a manual for cost reduction and a primer for the stockroom.
- Includes a training regime for new supervisors, managers and planners.
Written for anyone in a leadership position in maintenance, storeroom or production, this unique book will also be found useful by vendors to the maintenance departments, including maintenance contractors, parts vendors, and various kinds of service providers. As a practical book, Lean Maintenance will take the reader on a journey from uncovering waste, designing projects to address the waste, selling the projects to management and delivering the projects. Every area in maintenance is covered, including your TPM effort, storeroom, PM tasking, work orders and computer systems. What's more, the user will be able to immediately use this book to start the process of saving money, energy, or time within just one hour!
- Provides examples at every step of the way to guide the reader.
- Includes forms and check lists for successful Lean projects.
- Offers the reader the ability to design and execute a savings project within a day.
Based on real-world experience this invaluable guide and reference tells the whole story of maintenance planning from beginning to end in a concise and easy-to-follow manner. Written by well-known professionals this new edition focuses specifically on the preparatory tasks that lead to effective utilization and application of maintenance resources in the interest of the reliability essential to business objectives. It comprehensively examines the job preparation process from job scoping and planning, to determination of material requirements, estimation of labor requirements and job duration, coordination of all involved parties, and job scheduling. And it includes essential metrics for measuring performance of all contributing functions. It is a vital training document for planners, an educational document for those to whom planners are responsible, and a valuable guide for those who interface with the planning and scheduling function and are dependent upon the many contributions of planning and scheduling operational excellence.
- Expanded coverage of the proactive culture and environment that senior management must nurture throughout the organization, and the essential supportive roles of other functions essential to the preparatory process.
- A new chapter that enumerates prerequisites to effective Planning, Coordination and Scheduling.
- The Scheduling chapter has been expanded to include a debate comparing two popular approaches to the scheduling and achievement of Schedule Compliance.
- The Material Support chapter is significantly expanded.
This book shares the best practices, mistakes, victories, and essential steps for success which the author has gleaned from working with countless organizations. Unlike other books that only focus on the engineering issues (task lists) or management issues (CMMS), this in-depth resource is the first to give true emphasize to the four aspects of success in preventive maintenance systems--engineering, management, economic, and psychological -- thereby enabling readers to have a balanced view and understanding of what is happening in their organizations. Additionally, it blends concrete actionable steps and structures with the theory behind the steps.
- Includes check sheets, history of PM, stories, photographs, and case histories.
- Contains a glossary of terms.
- Provides sample task lists for a variety of equipment with some of the logic behind each task.
- Offers templates for developing your own tasking.
- Includes protocols for detailed economic analysis with examples.
Facilities management is a broad-based discipline that calls into play architectural, construction, engineering, and management and human skills, particularly for running and maintaining commercial, institutional, academic, and industrial buildings. If you're a newcomer to facilities management you will find this book an excellent introduction to managing maintenance. Already an established professional? You'll be able to brush up on the latest technological and regulatory trends affecting how complex facilities should be successfully maintained by way of risk assessment.
The book contains ample, ready-to-use assessment forms and resources for extended practical information. Highlights include: Coverage of key components of facilities maintenance management including risk management, building safety, operations and purchasing, staffing, and more. Guidance on new trends including 'lean building maintenance' and Green Building specs (Green Spec) like LEED as well as guidance on legal contracts, safety regulations, energy efficiency, and more. The author also details specific management guidance by building type including apartments, office buildings, hotels and resorts, government buildings, schools, transport facilities, and many others.
Much has been written about the relationships of parents and children. But the unsung chord in all of our adult relationships, professional and personal, is rooted in the sibling connection. In this extraordinary book based on their Sibling Revelry workshops, authors — and siblings — Jo Ann, Marjory, and Joel Levitt re-create the seminars that have helped many strengthen the bonds of their adult sibling relationships.
In eight clearly focused steps, with added material for home study, the authors show how to transform sibling rivalry into extraordinary, nurturing adult bonds that will enhance all other relationships in your life. Now you can regain the closeness you and your siblings once shared, heal old wounds, and pave the way to a happier, healthier future. Learn how to:
* Define your relationship — Unload the myths of your shared past...and discover who you are to each other now
* Witness the effect of old rivalries — And use them as a springboard to great adult relationships
* Envision a new future — Break the habits that hold your relationship firmly in place...and create a powerful new vision for yourself and your family
* Explore new modes of contact — Examine the "role" you play in your family and free yourself from damaging old patterns
* Heal wounds and misunderstandings — Resolve old conflicts as you sort through old issues of fear, anger, guilt, and hurt
* Invent new family legends — Uncover the myths and legends that have shaped your relationship...then create new ones
* Make room for differences — Clear out "sibling clutter" and accept your siblings exactly as they are
* Honor your strengths — Celebrate the positive qualities each sibling brings to the relationship...and set the stage for a lifelong connection
- Contains a specialized glossary so users can more easily understand the
specialized language of factory maintenance.
- Provides specific “how-to” tips and concrete techniques and examples for continuous improvement.
- Updates the 20 steps to world class maintenance to include the 6 areas of focus for world class maintenance.
- Includes a completely updated maintenance evaluation questionnaire that
reflects new techniques and technologies.
- Breaks down and explains the three-team approach to maintenance work.
- Offers new sections on: managing shutdowns, craft training, and communications.
- Contains major revisions to the RCM discussion and includes a new discussion about PMO.
The maintenance spare parts business is in turmoil. There have been fundamental changes in the sale, distribution, and storage of spare parts needed to maintain machinery and other physical assets. The key to uptime in manufacturing is managing risk, and Surviving the Spare Parts Crisis: Maintenance Storeroom and Inventory Control by Joel Levitt describes how to evaluate risk in the inventory.
Levitt shares knowledge he has gained over more than 30 years of consulting companies and providing training to professionals who are facing problems with their spare parts inventory. His latest book shows how the maintenance department can provide better support to purchasing agents and buyers. It provides dozens of ideas to properly reduce inventory, reduce usage, and save money in parts, all while maintaining service levels.
This text is the only one available that not only covers the conventional wisdom, but also deals with the new realities of today’s market space. This is an ideal resource for maintenance managers, planners, and engineers; parts specialists; supply chain managers; and anyone involved in purchasing.
Supervision is a leveraged activity. When we develop the supervisor's skills, we enhance the productivity of the whole workgroup.
This book provides valuable skill training for supervisors, team leaders, and managers. It offers techniques to improve reliability that can be accomplished at the supervisor level. It teaches both the science and the art of the supervision of maintenance workers, discusses managing meetings and time, the elements of technical issues, and presents management and people skills, offering maximum productivity and high-quality provision of services and at the same time, improving morale throughout the workforce.
This book is suitable for all types of maintenance for organizations with supervisors and managers from plant operations, storeroom, construction, and related areas including industrial organizations, construction companies, mines, fleets, building maintenance, janitorial maintenance contractors, and vocational tech schools teaching maintenance short courses.
This book is written to improve your meetings through impacts on specific areas including: preparation, participation, facilitation, logistics and follow-up.
Improving your meeting expertise will make you more valuable to your organization, be more effective and feel better about your contributions.
Meetings are everywhere in modern organizations because no one has found a better way to get business done. Yet people who attend or even facilitate meetings also complain that they are wasteful, de-energizing and demotivating.
10 Minutes a Week to great Meetings is written to improving your meetings and has two primary parts.
Part 1 is the 10 Minutes a Week to Great Meetings training plan. This section is organized as a short 10 minute a week course in the basics of running, organizing and participating in meetings. Each of the 10 lessons focuses on one aspect of the effective meeting. When a group goes through the 10 lessons their meetings will be more effective and far more energetic.
Part 2 is the Meeting Idea Book. This section takes the 10 lessons and expands them to include background, additional ideas, best practices from top organizations and extensive checklists of ideas, strategies and tactics.