Top critical review
108 people found this helpful
STOP, THIS BOOK IS DANGEROUS TO YOUR PET'S LIFE: NEVER, EVER USE, FABRIC SOFTENER, OR PINE-SOL NEAR YOUR PETS.
on December 4, 2012
There should be some minus star ratings, but since I had to pick one, I picked the lowest available.
STOP, never, never use fabric softener on your dog's coat. You will poison him slowly; it doesn't matter how much you have diluted it. The dog will lick his fur. Never, never use Pine-Sol, or any pine product on your rugs, or floors if you have cats. Pine is highly toxic to cats. Cats quickly absorb every chemical they come into contact with through their skin; once they have absorbed the chemical you cannot get it out even if they are smart enough not to lick it. They will, however, lick their paws. Dried Pine-Sol (which you can smell) is still on your floor, or rug. I will update this review with more caveats when I finish this book. These, however, stood out to me.
I promised more caveats after having read the entire book. Having finished this appalling excuse for a DIY help book for pets, I can only say throw the book on the fire, and join a posse to string up the author, whose advice probably already has poisoned innumerable pets. There is just too much advice everywhere about administering OTC medicines, herbs, and household chemicals to cats and dogs. Some of the things sound innocuous, because they are things that would not harm us, but will effectively kill your pet.
Here are a few examples: The idiot author says to put onion juice down to deter cats from playing in, or using an area. He says cats hate the smell and will avoid the area. The fact is that many cats will lick food with, or eat onion flavored anything. Onions cause an anemia in cats that if not treated promptly will cause death. If a cat steps on the onion juice treated carpet, he is still going to ingest it when he cleans his paws. How are you supposed to know your cat is sick in time, because by the time he is displaying symptoms, he is in dire straits? Oleander is poisonous to dogs and cats. This idiot author recommends its use.
Whatever vet he supposedly used as a consultant should be up on charges before the American Veterinary Association, and summarily have his license revoked.
This book is dangerous to the layperson, who will use many of the recommended solutions to their problems without first consulting either Poison Control, or their vets, to whom they are trying to avoid making extra visits.
There are other books out there, written by vets and alternative medicine practitioners that advocate safe, natural products for your pets. Chemicals are not natural. That is why we are having so many lawsuits over unsafe drugs causing toxic reactions and killing humans. Just listen to the incredible side effects with any advertised drug on TV. The cure can debilitate and destroy your organs. This book can cause that effect on your pets. Please, please, if you love your pets, check out this book's remedies prior to using any of them.