Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 4, 2012
There should be some minus star ratings, but since I had to pick one, I picked the lowest available.

STOP, never, never use fabric softener on your dog's coat. You will poison him slowly; it doesn't matter how much you have diluted it. The dog will lick his fur. Never, never use Pine-Sol, or any pine product on your rugs, or floors if you have cats. Pine is highly toxic to cats. Cats quickly absorb every chemical they come into contact with through their skin; once they have absorbed the chemical you cannot get it out even if they are smart enough not to lick it. They will, however, lick their paws. Dried Pine-Sol (which you can smell) is still on your floor, or rug. I will update this review with more caveats when I finish this book. These, however, stood out to me.

I promised more caveats after having read the entire book. Having finished this appalling excuse for a DIY help book for pets, I can only say throw the book on the fire, and join a posse to string up the author, whose advice probably already has poisoned innumerable pets. There is just too much advice everywhere about administering OTC medicines, herbs, and household chemicals to cats and dogs. Some of the things sound innocuous, because they are things that would not harm us, but will effectively kill your pet.

Here are a few examples: The idiot author says to put onion juice down to deter cats from playing in, or using an area. He says cats hate the smell and will avoid the area. The fact is that many cats will lick food with, or eat onion flavored anything. Onions cause an anemia in cats that if not treated promptly will cause death. If a cat steps on the onion juice treated carpet, he is still going to ingest it when he cleans his paws. How are you supposed to know your cat is sick in time, because by the time he is displaying symptoms, he is in dire straits? Oleander is poisonous to dogs and cats. This idiot author recommends its use.

Whatever vet he supposedly used as a consultant should be up on charges before the American Veterinary Association, and summarily have his license revoked.

This book is dangerous to the layperson, who will use many of the recommended solutions to their problems without first consulting either Poison Control, or their vets, to whom they are trying to avoid making extra visits.

There are other books out there, written by vets and alternative medicine practitioners that advocate safe, natural products for your pets. Chemicals are not natural. That is why we are having so many lawsuits over unsafe drugs causing toxic reactions and killing humans. Just listen to the incredible side effects with any advertised drug on TV. The cure can debilitate and destroy your organs. This book can cause that effect on your pets. Please, please, if you love your pets, check out this book's remedies prior to using any of them.
108 people found this helpful
|1313 comments|Report abuse
on May 29, 2017
This book covers all of the pets ailments and tells you what to do for them. Very informative and to the point. Gives you cures that are simple and easy to apply.
on June 21, 2017
I found this book to be very helpful. I no longer need to buy flea meds for my dogs and cats, I just use the Dawn trick they tell about in the book.
on April 29, 2015
This is really a useful book full of great advise. Nice to have something like this to run to when there is a question of what to do.
4 people found this helpful
on December 22, 2016
It's great I have five friends that ordering the book through amazon
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I have mixed emotions about this book. Want to learn all I can about caring for my dogs and cats and especially their health. Think there are a lot of good ideas but also there were some I could not understand and I do not agree with some. There are a lot of ideas as to what brands to use. I use this book more as a reference than as sit down reading material.
on April 6, 2018
Lots of helpful tips!
on June 17, 2015
Don't look forward to using this as I don't wish my pet to be sick but am so glad I have it on hand just in case.
2 people found this helpful
on December 10, 2017
Love this book
on November 19, 2013
This book is on Pet care. The author seems to be in command of his subject matter and this is a good book. I have gotten many lessons out of this book. The tips on removal of fleas from the dogs and their environment have been really beneficial and that alone was worth the price of the book.
3 people found this helpful