Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Ritter PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on September 21, 2016
The writings in this book provide a foundation of appreciation for all encompassing "nature". This book can be judged by title... John Muir is genius, and a poet! His depth of knowledge (engineering, botany) is evident throughout, and his passion to study everything natural is unsurpassed. He was beyond todays definition of "motivated." His book inspired me to backpack the JMT. Between this book, and hiking "his" trail, I owe my broader spiritual sense to him.
on June 28, 2014
John Muir had a love of nature that was spiritual and at times ecstatic. A great read, and a great reminder of why wild lands are so essential. I was filled with admiration for this expert mountaineer, moved by his writing, and impressed by his ability to survive on bread and tea! And I am very grateful for his work in laying the groundwork for our national parks. Thank you, John Muir!
on September 30, 2008
I've only read "My First Summer in the Sierra," and attest to Muir's enchanting style and lucidity. He writes as an enthusiast, but gives his stories a plain-spoken clarity that can be enjoyed by all.

Muir must have been quite an individual - after working as a shepherd for a few months, he talks of getting time off from his employer, "tying some bread to his belt, and walking to Mammoth" from the Merced area of the western foothills of the Sierras. Yep, a nice casual stroll. Or climbing and looking down into the ice cone on Yosemite Falls. Why not? It's there every winter...

I hope Library of America will put out another volume so they can make "The Yosemite" available to all. In it, Muir describes the three native Californian "Yosemite" (Tuolumne, Sequoia, and Kings) almost as a tour guide. This book is a glaring omission from the LoA volume, and gives great insight into the mind of the premier conservationist of the early 1900s.

As always, LoA delivers a quality volume at a good price.
on May 10, 2017
Inspirational life of Muir. A great read to learn about the man responsible for establishing the National Park system. If you love the outdoors and connecting with nature, this book is a must.
on April 5, 2010
I hesitated buying this complete works book by Muir as I wondered if it would be more than I wanted. Did I really care about his youth or was I just looking for some of his more famous writings? To my delight, I have enjoyed this book from the start. I found his essays about his childhood in Scotland and about his family's move to America to be a nice foundation for understanding how he became the man he was and the impact he had on nature writing and on conservation. I came to live in the Maine woods not because of the job opportunities (ha) or for the Starbucks on the corner (not) but to be in a quiet place surrounded by streams, woods, mountains, lakes and all of the recreational and contemplative opportunities these afford us. I am no stranger to nature writing, but honestly, I came to John Muir a bit late. In a way, I am glad as I think his words have spoken to me now in a way that I can really appreciate. I recommend this body of essays to anyone who lives in nature or doesn't but wish they did. His writing provides a nice escape.
on April 2, 2014
This is a well-bound and printed book of much higher quality than I expected. It is actually an anthology of many writings of Muir, and it is amazing how clear his writing is even today. He has a very fluid and poetic style that helps the reader "see" what he sees, and it is very enjoyable. It is a book I can pick up and put down over and over, and it always seems to give me what I need.
on May 11, 2015
I absolutely loved reading this, particularly his childhood. Puts in perspective our live with how enthusiastic he was despite what we today would called extreme or even abusive upbringing. They just got to work and enjoyed what they had.

Muir's love of nature really comes through in all the details he noticed and wrote about. Highly recommended.
on February 6, 2010
I bought a couple of these books to share with friends I backpack in the Sierras with. This is an excellent collection of the writings of John Muir. If you price the individual pieces, you will see the value of this one volume. If you are a hiker or a naturalist of any degree, you will have an appreciation for the experience of John Muir in his wanderings through unspoiled territory. This book does not come in a dust jacket as one of the images shows, but it does come with a sturdy binding that could stand up to a day in the hills or at the shore spent in thoughtful reading.
on March 3, 2010
With the recent focus on our national parks, it seemed valuable to revisit Muir's own writings. His enthusiasm for even the smallest encounters with the natural world remind us that we need not explore to conquer or as an "extreme sport", but are better served to allow the experiences to unfold.
His is a keen, yet quiet, approach to true adventure in living in our world and on our planet.
No need to feel obligated to read his writings as one might a novel. It is equally satisfying to take sips and enjoy the moments.
on September 2, 2017
An American prophet, and bulwark for the defense of the treasured lands of America.