- File Size: 1297 KB
- Print Length: 28 pages
- Publisher: Kids4biz (February 20, 2011)
- Publication Date: February 20, 2011
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004OR1R2U
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,068,398 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #678 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Family Life > Values
- #1720 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > School
- #3016 in Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Family Life > Values
Johnny Profit (Bedtime Stories about Capitalism) Kindle Edition
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
To put it simply: not all capitalism is bad or not all businesses are bad; it's a matter of making that choice. And this nice, little book empowers children with the knowledge that they can make that choice.
Of course, even small children are by no means stranger to the idea of doing business--didn't we set up our own lemonade stand at the corner lot and tried to earn some money to buy that new bike when we were kids? Johnny Profit is easy to understand for its target readers, and the questions it raises can start good discussions on business-related issues from the child's perspective. At the very least, the Johnny Profit series of books can serve as a great complement to children's math lessons as it brings real-world business concepts to a level young minds can easily understand--helped in large part by Michael Schultz's beautiful illustrations.
The central idea of the book is that business, or making a profit, is not "bad"--that there are choices a person can make when they engage in a business, and half of those choices are honest, decent, and mutually beneficial. Profits allow everyone to make a better life. As the most enlightening line in the book says, "Every child was taught that inventing, honest profits and honest deals were good." These are obviously highly important values that must be taught to children, but as everyone knows, explaining something as complicated as capitalism can be way over a child's head. For that reason, the Johnny Profit series of books succeeds well by using a language that even young minds can easily "get."
Perhaps standing on the broad shoulders of such children's book writers as Dr Seuss or Dahl, author Michael Malgeri has written an awesome, if not extremely useful and delightfully entertaining, children's book. It may not talk about the cat in the hat, the Grinch, or any of those colorful characters, but it does the job just the same: entertain and teach your children something they can use for the rest of their lives. Children will love the beautiful illustrations and the simple words, while you get the opportunity to have lively chats about the nature of a "profitable exchange." If you must buy something for your child that can perhaps have a life-long influence on their minds, then grab a copy of Michael Malgeri's Johnny Profit series. It's not for you; it's for them.
Michelle Croner (Author of Do I HAVE To Get A Job? - Business And Investment Options You Can Begin At Any Age (Money Management For Young People))
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Family Life > Values
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > School
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Family Life > Values
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > School