Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 277 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 695 reviews
on March 30, 2017
I love how the story ties in with real history. Getting to see and be introduced to such people as Paul Revere, Sam And John Adams, John Hancock, and more. Reading this helps a child to get an idea of the emotion and tension that was felt by the people at that time.
Experience the time period where such things happen such as the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, and Paul Revere's ride, along with the the infamous day in April, when the war began.
on August 31, 2017
It is about how Americans felt and what the founding faths could possibly say to get men to go out to die andpossibly leave their children and wife without a bredwinner. What it was was is that basically we are together in this from the beginning to the end - so if one should die he would have someone else to watch over and care for his family. I lived on Minuteman Hill read this book in 6th grade it made me think a lot. Bought again to read it and have to think about it as an adult. Maybe I could get my adult children to read it. Think So? Get it for you or your child.
on March 22, 2017
The overlay of a fictional characters onto an American historical event was woven seamlessly. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if these characters didn't actually exist, only the names were changed! Every child should read this book before taking any American history class in middle or high school.
on May 2, 2017
good book
on March 2, 2016
We are currently studying the Revolutionary War in school and this book has been a fabulous addition to our curriculum. My brother mentioned the Disney movie of the same name, which in have yet to see, and said it was a good movie and that my boys would like it. I'm a believer in reading the book first and so we are about 20 pages from the ending of this book.

I have read many books aloud to my boys but I think this has been their favorite. It is well written, extremely informative, exciting and inspiring. We live in Massachusetts so the places mentioned in Johnny Tremain are local to us and reading about them and then visiting makes history come alive for my children. They beg me to read "one more chapter, pleeeease". Love it!

I thoroughly recommend this book to homeschooling families. It's a classic.
on September 4, 2017
Old favorite----bought so the grandchildren can be exposed to good stories when they come to visit
on May 16, 2015
7th Graders loved it read aloud and discussed with them. It brought the "Sons of Liberty" and day-to-day 1770s to life. Many students began researching historical events on their own to add to the class discussions.

1770s, Johnny Tremain has been apprenticed to a silversmith in Boston. He meets John Hancock, Paul Revere, Dr. Warren, Colonel Smith, and many other Whigs and Tories. He is close-by during meetings, the Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, Christ Church lit by two lanterns, Shot Heard Round the World, and so on.

The story is well-written and factual, 7th graders would not be interested otherwise.
on September 16, 2014
I enjoyed the book once the story got beyond Johnny's immaturity. Historically, it was mostly accurate. I did feel that John Adams wasn't adequately portrayed, but then the book wasn't about him. The relationship between Rab and Johnny was interesting was treated in depth. The girls, Cilla and her little sister lacked an adequate portrayal. It was good as far as it went but I would have liked to see more development of them. The shallowness of the Lyte family was apparent as was Mr. Lyte's greed. Overall, it's a good book. It was a summer reading assignment in my daughter-in-law's 8th-grade English class, and I read it and helped her develop a lengthy test for those who read it. It's certainly well-chosen for that educational level.
on June 22, 2012
This historical novel captivated me as a young teenager who was fascinated by the Revolution and our early American history. I just reread it for the first time in more than 40 years, and it has lost none of its charm. This book is NOT for the impatient. Character development is key here--perhaps all readers can cite the historical events around which this story is crafted--don't expect new revelations or quick action here. Instead, the richness of this book is the glimpse of truly believable people amidst the growing turmoil that envelops them during this distant but so significant time. It is particularly poignant to remember that we all know how things turned out, whereas Johnny stands at the very first, tenuous beginning. I can't help but see the hope portrayed here as perhaps the book's most valuable aspect.
on July 30, 2017
Bittersweet story that brings some realism to a young reader.