Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 85% on textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New Moto G6 64 GB | $299.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(5 star). See all 37 reviews
on January 31, 2012
What can I say? It's a timer. It works like any other kind of mechanical timer, except it has the clever "pie chart" dial face which shows you at a glance how much time is left.

The faults it has are the faults of any mechanical timer. If you don't like loud ticking, well it's got a loud "tick-tock" sound. While the bell is loud enough to get your attention if you're in the kitchen or the next room, it only rings for a second so if you go away you've got remember to check the timer when you get back, just like any other wind-up. I haven't tested its accuracy, but it seems to work fine turned on its side, so it may be useful in classrooms.

In this timer the face is stationary, but it "disappears" as time runs out. It's quite functional, showing you at a glance from across the room how much time is left. The illusion of the face disappearing is very good. You have to hold it in your hand and look carefully to see that the moving part is a plastic shade that disappears into a slit in the face.

It's a well-designed device, and everyone who's seen it has remarked on how interesting and unusual it is. But in the end it's just a wind-up timer. It does what a wind-up timer does, but with a little more charm and style than most.

Update: if you have trouble with this timer sometimes stopping or failing to ring, make sure you always wind it up to the full 60 minutes before setting the time interval you want. ALL wind-up timers work better if fully wound before use, but this one might not work at all on short intervals without a full winding.
17 people found this helpful
on December 3, 2014
Pretty eggplant color, classic "twist to set" timer (no batteries) with a good long mechanical buzz at the end, has lasted well for me for a couple years of use.

I love this timer while cooking or for keeping myself on task on chores or when I need to keep track of time to make sure I get out the door on time, because it gives me a visual cue with the pie slice design of how much time is left without having to stop to read it or calculate.

Would be good for folks with visual limitations that make reading hard, or for adults with ADHD -- serves similar function to a "Time Timer" -- but looks "adult" and classy and "normal" so it doesn't scream "ADHD" or "time management" when others see it
on April 14, 2015
AWESOME TIMER! Must wind up completely first and then go back to the amount of time you want to set it for :)

Love it for my toddler as time is displayed visually and helps him understand better when we say 5 more minutes! We set the timer and he is much more likely to comply to the time limit for whatever :)
on January 23, 2015
It has really helped our 8 year old develop a sense of elapsed time and time remaining when it comes to getting ready, doing home work, etc. Unit works well with no issues thus far.
on January 1, 2015
Bought this to use with my toddler. Very visual, easy for him to see how much time is left as the wedge gets smaller.
on July 18, 2015
Helps my disabled Mom wait patiently for me to get back to her because she can see that there is an end in sight.
on June 2, 2014
This very visual timer does exactly what we need it to - help our son keep a concept of how much time he has left at a quick glance. Small, inexpensive and perfectly loud to get the kid's attention without shaking the house. I strongly recommend this for anyone with a highly distract-able kid like ours.
on September 18, 2016
I love using this with my son in teaching him the concept of time.
on May 7, 2012
I love this timer. It felt like a splurge because I had a digital one already, but I love it. The ring could be prettier, but it's ok. It does tick louder than my mom's egg timer, but I'm used to it now.

What I love best is that I can easily see the time left from across the room. With my digital one I have to walk right up to it to see the time remaining. With this one I can have it across the kitchen and then just peek: oh, about a quarter of an hour left.

I bought this one not just for me but also for my son. I'm hoping when he is older that I can use it for things like bath-time. Set it when he gets in the tub and then he can see the white disappear so it won't be so shocking when I say "5 more minutes!" and then all-of-the-sudden it's been 5 minutes.

One thing you might not be able to tell from the picture is that the timer can stand on its side (even though it's round). So, you can stand it up to see from across the room.

I have other Joseph Joseph products and have always been very happy with the quality.

P.S., I love this timer so much, I was looking at it tonight so I could suggest it for a friend's wedding registry!
2 people found this helpful
on December 3, 2011
My husband and I both have ADD and our 3 year-old son has Asperger's, and this time has been a lifesaver for our family. It helps me keep track of time; even from far away I can tell how much time is left because of how much is left of the white space and the ticking is an excellent reminder that time is, indeed, passing. Like the previous review, I agree that the bell isn't overly loud, but I see that as a positive; our son is very sensitive to noise and loud alarms upset him, and I can safely use this time during naptime without worrying that I will wake up the kids. More specific to our son, it helps him anticipate upcoming transitions that will need to be made. We will be buying at least another one of these very soon! Excellent product!
One person found this helpful