Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.98 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Josephus: The Complete Works Hardcover – July 30, 2003
See the Best Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
While it can be intimidating to look at it with the intent of `reading' Josephus, it's actually quite accessible if you read it in pieces. This week I've been interested in Masada, for example, and most of the information known about the events at Masada came from the writings of Josephus.
The translation is easy to understand. Certainly it isn't what most of us would consider light reading, and I don't let it intrude on my time with God's word, but it's an excellent addition to my library and a resource like no other.
Here are some examples of what you'll find as you open the book for the first time.
The Life of Flavius Josephus, The Antiquities of The Jews Preface
Book 1. From the Creation to the Death of Isaac,
2. From the Death of Isaac to the Exodus out of Egypt.
Continuing on to
20. From Fadus the Roman Procurator to Florus.
The Wars Of The Jews Preface
Book 1 starts with Antiochus Epiphanes Taking Jerusalem to the Death of Herod the Great.
Continuing on to
7 From the Taking of Jerusalem by Titus to the Sedition of the Jews at Cyrene.
Flavius Josephus Against Apion
Book 1 and 2.
An extract out of Josephus' Discourse To The Greeks Concerning Hades.
1. The Testimonies of Josephus concerning Jesus Christ, John the Baptist, and James the Just, Vindicated.
2. Concerning God's Command to Abraham to Offer up Isaac, his Son, for a Sacrific.
3. Tacitus' Account of the Origin of the Jewish Nation, and of the Particulars of the Last Jewish War.
4. The Copy of the Books of the Old Testament Used by Josephus in his Antiquities.
5. Upon the Chronology of Josephus
6. The Fragment or Extract of an Homily Concerning Hades Belongs to Josephus, Preached or Written when he was Bishop of Jerusalem.
7. Of the Learned Christopher Cellarius, wherein the History of the Family of Herod by Flavius Josephus is Vindicated, and that History is Shown to be Agreeable to Ancient Coins.
Table of the Jewish weights and measures
A list of ancient testimonies and records cited by Josephus, and of coins referred to in the notes upon him.
Texts of the Old Testament parallel to Josephus' histories.
A map of Palestine in the time of Christ
Distance Map (showing the distance between certain locations such as Hebron to Nazareth, etc.)
Map of the Roman Empire of the First Century A.D.
Major complaint: there are numerous numbered footnotes in each book with hyperlinks to take to you the notes and then return. Unfortunately, clicking on the links in Chap 2 & 3 for their notes, takes you to the notes for Chap 1 and then good luck getting back to where you were! I assume this problem is related to this Kindle version only.