Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 165 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 219 reviews
on February 10, 2017
We are ruined forever after reading this book this Christmas! Every other storybook, and I'm afraid - Advent - book will now pale in comparison! My children are 3 and 5, and I was initially worried this book may be too advanced for them. I found quite the opposite to be true- the storyline is so suspensful that they begged and reminded me each day to read "Jotham"! I didn't edit a couple of more scarier lines of the text, but overall, they got the lessons Jotham had to learn. They truly understand the nativity and the true meaning of Christmas this year and this book made it even more "real" to them. My husband joins all the others mentioned in reviews who don't particularly enjoy reading, but couldn't put this book down and had to be stopped from skipping ahead to see what happens! We purchased the rest of the books in Ytreeide's series, including the Easter book and are eagerly awaiting reading them in the years to come. This will be a new tradition we intend to keep each Christmas season for years to come! Our only disappointment is that there are additional books written by this author!
on January 10, 2017
We read this book as a family each night of advent this past Christmas season and it was fantastic! Both of our boys, ages 4 and 7, absolutely loved the book, as did both adults reading! It was a great amount of reading each night (10-20 minutes) and the short reflection at the end of each nightly reading were the perfect way to each each day leading up to Christmas day. The boys talked about the book all the time, and at one point our 4 year old said he didn't want any presents for Christmas, he just wanted to finish the Jotham book! (The cliffhangers each night had our boys asking to get ready for bed by 4:00 p.m. the next day just to find out what happened next!). The action and emotions were intense. My boys are generally pretty sensitive to scary scenes in movies (most Disney movies terrify them) but reading these scenes in the safety of our candlelit living room as a family helped soften it enough for their ages, and make it realistic and exciting. I highly recommend this for all ages. We plan to buy the other books and do this every year at Christmas.
on February 5, 2016
My son, 11 years old, and I read this for Advent. As in previous reviews this book is not for young or impressionable kids. There is a lot of action and twists (I know sounds odd in an Advent book). It is extremely well written. We would end a day and both want to read the next to find out what happens next. The questions at the end of each day were good, I added some of my own.

The first day there was a lot to read because it was setting up the story. You are to start reading the 1st Sunday of Advent and each day after that. The last week of Advent the book has a chart by the year it is showing how many days to read so you end on Christmas.

I will be buying the next book in the series for next year.
on January 27, 2015
Can't say enough about this book - there are actually three books from this author that intertwine with each other. This is the first in the series - Jotham becomes separated from his parents (shepherds) and goes on a journey to find them - reunited at the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. The other two books are the same story - only told from the viewpoint and experiences of two other characters that are in the Jotham book! You begin reading on the first night of Advent and reach a chapter each night up to Christmas. Almost every chapter ends in a cliff hanger and your child does not want you to stop reading! At the end of each chapter are scripture verses and a prayer. We have used this series for years - we would alternate the books and then start over every 3rd year. My kids loved these growing up and are now using them with their children. I can't tell you how many of these books I have given away as gifts to young families! Buy all three books - a wonderful tradition to have with you kids at Christmas!
on January 20, 2014
I read this advent story with our two boys (ages seven and nine) this December, 2013. Each night, we gathered together and read through the chapter, eager to find out whether Jotham would get any closer to finding his family. The author did a wonderful job wrapping historical facts from the Bible and this fictionalized account of a young boy who gets separated from his sheep herding family together. I appreciated the emphasis on children obeying their parents, as well as the author tying God's word throughout the story and in most of the end-of-chapter devotions. Parents of younger children, note that the antagonist, Decca of Meddigo, mistreats Jotham physically, which was a bit disturbing for us, although the story ends well. His character creates lots of exciting tension and action in the story, but a couple of the chapters deal with somewhat dark situations. I would say this advent storybook is for ages six and up (depending on the child). Otherwise, our family really enjoyed Jotham's Journey and think other families would, too! We're looking forward to reading more advent stories from this author.
on December 20, 2016
I wasn't sure what to except with this story, but our family has been pleasantly surprised with the excitement we have experienced while reading through Jotham's Journey! We have loved the correlation with the many aspects of the events surrounding the birth of Jesus. My 10 y/o daughter said yesterday that this is her new favorite book! There is a lot a suspense throughout the book and our 7 y/o daughter seemed to do well enough with the action. The content might be somewhat intense for younger children with strong auditory comprehension skills. I believe this will be a family traditional read for many years to come!
on March 3, 2017
Excellent read! Some parts could be a little intense for very young children, so make sure to pre-read each days reading, but my family thoroughly enjoyed this book after reading Tabitha's Travels last Christmas season. We have the next book on our wishlist to buy before Christmas this year.
on February 6, 2015
We loved this story for our advent celebration. Even a month later my kids are still talking about what we read. We have five kids from 2-14 and the youngest at two wasn't able to follow along well but our four year old son did pretty well most nights but we would not of read this book just for him. It has some violence in it but I felt it was handled very well and has helped discussions whenever any of my kids have overheard the news lately. I would highly recommend this book to any family with older kids as a way to focus more on Christ during the Christmas season. We will definitely be purchasing the other books this author has written for advent.
on February 9, 2017
I'm 10 years old and my family did this book for a read aloud. Jotham's Journey had a lot of cliffhangers at the end of almost every chapter. The characters are good, and we have the backup books too, the back stories of some noted characters in this book. Anyway this book makes a terrific family read aloud and is highly recommended.

Also, look ahead at the calander in the back of the book and it will give you a selection of schedules to choose from so that the readings correspond with the advent season.
on December 29, 2012
I really liked this book. It is divided into 25 days for advent I and found myself wanting to read ahead because there seems to be a cliffhanger at the end of each day's reading. There are several plot twists, some I saw coming, some not. There is a lesson at the end of each day's story, most with verses from the Bible.

My only complaint about the book is that the villain, "Decha of Megiddo" is like Freddy Krueger or "Jason" from the "Friday the 13th" movies, he just keeps coming no matter what injuries are inflicted on him. The author even seems to forget that he should be injured and not able to do things he does at the end of the book. But your kids will probably forget too.

And of course, it's only really good for one year because after that your kids will know what's going to happen. The daily lessons are tied in with the story, so they wouldn't be as useful by themselves.