Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

80%
20%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5 reviews
on February 23, 2009
I gave this book five stars--I should point out that even in English it is difficult--perhaps the translators intention. For example often it is difficult to find the antecedent to a particular pronoun.
I read this book first because it is one of the few I could find in English written by an Algerian (Feraoun was Kabyle and spoke no Arabic ironically) second because it is nuanced and though pro-FLN is not propaganda. I should state that after what my father told me he had witnessed at Setif in 1945 I am perfectly content with the most extreme condemnation of the French whose conduct makes any sanctimonious condemnation of "the brutality of Islam" a farce. (I should add the US follows the French --even to the point of having former French torturers train US army soldiers--this is verifiable ((see latest editition of The Question--by Alleg for verification)). Nevertheless I felt that the views of a "moderate"--and at the time one of Algeria's greatest writers should be respected--and indeed they complicate the whole problematic of the war--though not for me. I do not like propaganda and am not oblivious to the savagery of the war on both sides. But now more knowledable say about FLN's "brutality" my support for them has not wavered only grown. Anti-Colonial fighting is not a sentimental business and the FLN did things it should not have in my opinion. Having said that however it is well to remember that NONE of this would have happened had the French not decided to invade Algeria in 1830--had they not locked up whole communities in caves during the 19th century --and let them starve to death. Even Pontecorvo's great film does not present the real savagery of the French who are in the end responsible for ALL of the deaths of the Algerians between 1954-62 (1/9 of the whole muslim population) WHETHER OR NOT "indigenes" were killed by the liberation forces. It is the same in Iraq Afghanistan and Palestine.
Feraoun--friend of Camus, lover of French culture--a man who deplored the few French "improvements" destroyed by the Liberation forces--a man who loved France and Algeria was murdered by the OAS three days before the war ceased.
on February 4, 2012
The Kabylians are lions and they freed Algeria from the French. The Arabes where hiding and never fought. in 62 they STOLE the power and destroyed Algeria with their STUPID culture that denies the Kabylians the right to speak the Kabyle Language. We should Help the GPK that protect the Kabylian people from the Arabs.