Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal of Your Life
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on July 10, 2016
Had to buy this for a class. Loved this!!! So enlightening :) highly recommend
on June 19, 2016
Excellent and concise journal writing exercises. It's my "go to" resource for writing ideas and suggestins.
on May 17, 2016
Excellent book on self discovery through writing! Easy to understand and great for any age group!
on February 6, 2016
Love this book. Similar to Ira Progoff's workshop books but different somewhat in its approach. This is good if you're a beginning journal writer and want to start by dipping your toes in and moving on from there. I like her list making techniques.
on November 28, 2015
Loving the practical advice in this book.

My favorite way to journal would be writing ofcourse, but there are a few barriers. You can't format (except for caps or italics), editing an entire journal entry can be difficult (although might be useful in observing patterns), there's the threat of loss, unwelcome prying eyes, fading over time, fire, water damage etc..(although this could be useful to some - showing a well worn journal); Lastly, the ability to search and find a specific journal entry, say several years old is challenging. However, there are many pros to writing in a physical book that may far outweigh the minor inconveniences, & as I alluded to before , i would prefer this format if it came with the bonuses of online Journaling (listed below).

In fact, I'll even recommend a journal book to kick start, or complement your journal writing. I came by this a couple weeks ago while I was browsing Journaling books.

It's by Lyndelle Palmer Clarke

Dailygreatness Journal: A Practical Guide For Consciously Creating Your Days

I'd recommend getting it even if it's just to get some good tips & ideas on how to structure your Journaling.

With that said, I've switched to digital Journaling, specifically evernote, & I use the structure in book above to complement my online journal. Here are a few reasons why I prefer digital:

1. Mobility. Evernote is cross platform. I can journal on my PC, tablet, smartphone, anywhere, anytime.
2. I can format to my hearts content. Bold, underline, italics, highlight, bullet, 1,2,3 etc...
3. I can create a General Notebook with sub-categories, that is, a notebook within a master notebook, categorized by year.
4. I can tag my journal entries. This is an incredibly useful tool, because, I can tag a note or series of notes, let's say, "happiest day of my life" then search that term in the future.
5. I can copy & paste or clip entire Web articles into my journal entry.
6. Journal entries are automatically time stamped with date, time or location (optional).
7. You can share a journal entry (if you wish), useful if your working on a project with others.
8. You can back up your data through cloudhq.net to a plethora of different apps (Dropbox, Google Drive, box & lots of others), then you can backup (I use Google drive) to backup my journal entries & other files to a personal external hard drive. I'm pedantic (lol).
8. You can delete, undo, backspace etc...

I'm sure there are many more pro's that I haven't covered. I just wanted to share some thoughts for you to consider.

Happy Journaling :)
on November 20, 2015
I owe this writer a lot of thanks. I taught freshman English for twenty years. During that time, my students were required to keep journals. I shared many techniques with them, and many of of those techniques I took from this book. Rereading it as a retired English teacher with just my own personal journal keep, I discovered techniques I had forgotten about. The book written in 1990 is a bit old fashioned; there are no chapters on keeping an online journal or even using your iPod to update the journal. Still it was a very good reread. I know why I kept this book. I know why I taught many of the techniques.
on August 3, 2015
Awesome journal resource!
on May 22, 2015
not much new to what read from other sources.
on April 15, 2015
Very useful journaling tool. Basic ways to get started are set forth for beginners. There are lists of ideas for subjects for journaling. I have found it a very helpful kickstart.
on February 11, 2015
I read this a few years ago, and had incredible experiences -- not only while writing the journal, but also in my dreams, and in my real life.

Chapters are short and sweet, and each gives a new suggestion for things to address in a journal. These are provocative, evocative, and intriguing. Sometimes after writing in my journal, I would go to bed and have dreams related to the topic, revealing things about me that I found very illuminating. And once, one of these reenacted in my real life, the next day, which was even more revealing.

Really worth the read, whether you're seriously delving, or just want some fun, thought-provoking suggestions to kick-start a journal entry.