Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 544 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 641 reviews
on March 17, 2014
This game was one of the most moving experiences of my life, and that is a grand statement for an indie video game that only takes a couple hours to complete. It is simplicity itself; your little pilgrim character must traverse a vast landscape to reach a shining mountaintop of truth, always visible in the distance (unless you are below ground). You get paired up randomly with a maximum of one other online player at a time, with whom you cannot speak; you can only communicate through gestures and a simple, one-note cry that is both your name and your only vocabulary. Together you cross the wastes in search of symbols, which grant you the ability to fly for longer intervals with each symbol found, seeking a safe path to the mountaintop which beckons you onward.

The online interaction, being nonverbal and anonymous, was unique and engaging. The first time I played all the way through this game with one other player (which is not a given; you can lose or leave each other, just as in real life), I cried like a baby at the end. In the course of a few short hours I had created an emotional bond with a total stranger (who turned out to be, as best as I could gather, a girl in Japan). There are boards, for instance, where you are travelling through the freezing cold, and can only stay unharmed by huddling together for warmth. Brilliant. The gorgeous music, the haunting imagery and the simple storytelling all transcend language and deliver a game that is nothing short of a spiritual experience.

Sounds crazy? Yeah, when I read reviews like this before, I thought someone was off their meds, too. Then I took the journey. Try it and see if you can ever forget it. I know I never will.
on January 12, 2013
This game was unknown until some website mentioned that it was the game of the year (either for the website, or for the gaming community) and had won multiple awards. Having read some of the descriptions of the game, it sounded interesting enough, and the price was relatively cheap. Plus, it came with two "side" games also developed by That Game Company.

One side game, Flower, is deceptively simple. Just fly around using the six-axis controller and collect the petals of other flowers as you come into contact with them. That's it. That's the game. For something so simple, it is oddly fun. Who'd have thought that flying a petal to collect and "lead" other petals would be so fun?

The other side game, flOw, is similar in control scheme, that is, using the six-axis controller. This time, the gaming system is more complex. Imagine a 2D world, that has three dimensions. By this it is meant that the player moves along a 2D plane and eats orbs or eats the orbs of other floating critters. However, it is possible to move to another 2D plane three dimensionaly by moving either towards or away from the camera, either coming towards the surface, or going deeper down into the underwater world. The mechanics take a little to get used to, but the reward is great. This is also a multi-player game so friends can join in.

Then the belly of the beast. The actual game Journey itself is a masterpiece. It is a shock that all three of these games are made in conjunction with Santa Monica Studio, the very same that made the God of War series, yet there is no killing. There is only one "bad guy" (multiple of them at times, but still the same basic character). The game style is basic. Look, move, fly, and "call". That's it. Two joysticks (or one joystick and the six-axis) and two buttons. So that is easy to master. Even a 68 year old father who doesn't play video games mastered it quickly.
The graphics are great, perfect for the artistic style of the game, which is very unique. All the concepts are so unique, from the character design, to the populating critters that fly around, to the point of the game (enlightenment and rebirth). Even the lighting on the sand is so on point, it makes backs tingle with electricity. It is a tranquil game that shouldn't be as fun as it is because there is no blood, no guns, no explosions, no naked babes; all of which can be found to be very much a relief from the onslaught of destruction pervasive in gaming today.
Overall this is a stupendous game that will be played over and over. Try it and see.
on December 28, 2015
I waited a while to post a review because I thought I may be the only one who wasn't blown away by this game. It may be that other reviews pumped it up so high that I was expecting something epic like Shadow of the Colossus. I put the game in and played it to the end in 2 hours. I'm not a super gamer by any means, but there wasn't anything challenging in the story line. The story was interesting, but not anything to write home about.
I gave it the benefit of the doubt and came back the next day and explored some more to see if I missed anything...and I didn't really find any Wows.
on September 24, 2013
Journey is the first multi-player game that I've ever liked. If you hate multi-player, don't let that keep you from getting this game.

Journey: The name is the game. The controls are simple. The visuals and music are evocative. It can easily lead one into philosophical contemplation.

Flower: Lovely. Peaceful. Or am I a budding dictator. Gathering my armies. World domination only a breeze away.

Flow: The visuals are not as lush. Still beautiful. The controls are a bit harder to get into. I have to imagine trying to move the creatures as they might really move in order to get them going. Eat, get eaten, or just flow through. The most innovative end credits that I can remember.

Extras: The behind-the-scenes stuff was interesting. Exportable artwork and music which can be moved onto a USB stick for use elsewhere.

More Extras: Two of the dynamic themes are slideshows of the Journey art. Beautiful, but I find them a little too distracting for use as a theme. The Flow theme is outstanding. Enough movement to be interesting without being distracting. Goes from dark to light over time. The menus remain completely readable. I'm currently using this theme.

Extra Extras: The trio of Jammers are okay for what they are. They need another person for local co-op in order to play them. Could be fun, but not a great draw.
on September 21, 2014
Journey, for me, was a magical experience. When I sit down a reflect on the games I've played since December last year, many of them fall into the "interactive movie" category. There's nothing wrong with that. The Last of Us, had me thinking about its themes long after I'd finished the game, and Arkham City is an excellent story that would hold up to any of the Batman stories in any other medium. But those games wouldn't lose all that much if they were translated into movies. In fact, without the constant repetition and restarts due to player deaths, The Last of Us might even make a better movie than it did a game.

Journey, however, is the kind of experience that only works as a game. The wonderful thing about it is that it's an incredibly accessible game. Using only the twin analog joysticks and two buttons, it's a game that eschews complexity, timing based controls, and high speed reflexes and hand-eye coordination for a contemplative travel through the virtual landscapes it renders and the emotional spaces it evokes. What's more, unlike hard-core games that require hour upon hour of slogging and skill mastery, Journey is relatively short, and if you have time to watch a movie, you will have time for Journey.

You control a traveler, rendered in simple fashion little more sophisticated than a stick figure. The start of the game has you contemplating a mountain far away, and it is understood (though the game never explicitly tells you) that you are going there. Along the way, you traverse a desert landscape, an underground cavern, underwater spaces, and a snowy tundra. You visit ruins, and encounter creatures, most of which help you, and perhaps, another traveler representing another player who is also making the same journey.

You can't die, though there are moments when you are threatened, even succumbing to those threats won't hurt your ability to finish the game. The other player who might travel with you can't help or hinder you in your travels. In fact, other than a couple of gestures, you can't even communicate with each other explicitly. Yet the nature of the game is such that mere presence still grants you camaraderie. The puzzles will never stump you for more than 10 minutes, if that. There are no difficulty levels, no ability to save or restore the game. At no point are you forced to move forward, and nothing shoots at you when you're having a contemplative moment or just enjoying the scenery.

If Journey was made into a movie, it would be flat, lacking the emotion it was designed to evoke. But by taking on the character in a virtual space, and providing the means for various forms of traversal, Journey managed to invoke in me feelings of exhilaration, as I slide down a sand dune or soar through the skies towards my goal. I felt fear, when a monster detected my presence (even though I knew I could not die), and came after me. And there were many many moments of wonder as I wandered through a new landscape, not knowing what would come, but enjoying the moments of beauty and solitude that came with making my way through the virtual spaces. The combination of the design, the music, the simplicity of the controls and the way the game teaches you what to do with just dialog and just a handful of on screen prompts in the first 15 minutes of play is nothing short of amazing.

I don't want to over-state the pleasures and the strength of Journey. I wouldn't go as far as to say that you should acquire a PS3 just for this game. (I'd say that for Uncharted 2) But it truly is a game that I think just about everyone should play just to understand why video games are art. Just as missing out on great books like A Wizard of Earthsea would be a great pity, I think missing out on Journey would also subtract from your life.

I bought Journey as part of a collector's edition. However, I will review the other two games on that disc (Flower, and Flow) separately. You can also purchase Journey directly from Sony as a download for $14.99. Highly recommended.
on March 15, 2017
Games are okay, a little bit boring. I have only played for about 2 hours so far, but I am not very impressed. These reviews made this collection sound like the best thing ever.
This is not your typical rock em, sock em, fight em shoot em type of game. In fact, I wouldn't even call this a game really. It's more a zen kind of casual, gosh I don't even know how to explain this game. It is almost like Yoga. You do it for relaxation. The graphics are beautiful and serene. And you just explore and interact with the elements in the game. Even the soundtracks are calm and soothing. You feel like you're floating in some kind of dream state when playing this game. It's called the Journey collection and it really is a wonderful journey.

They are very simple games, but there's just something about them that really compels you to want to keep playing. I spent hours on this game when I first got it. I highly recommend it.
on February 11, 2017
All three of these games are really spectacular visual-based games. Playing journey in particular felt close to being a religious experience with its desolate loneliness, periods of spectacular beauty and dread. I have never played a similar game before and highly recommend it. All three are short games (under 10 hours) but well worth the price
on May 14, 2016
Great game and fun mini-games, this title should come with the PS3. I don't play console games, but this is the one everyone told me to get for my Netflix box (PS3), and they were right, it's beautiful and fun. Don't take my word for it though, just go read a proper review, everyone loves this game.

The product shipped quickly and arrived as described. No complaints!
on December 27, 2016
This game has such good reviews and I've heard so much about it from others, but I could just not get into it at all. It's a cool concept and the ambiance and music is good, but I got incredibly bored.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.